is it physically possible to get from FAT to FIT?

Options
2»

Replies

• tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Jeez there are a lot of rude people on this post picking fault with wording and such................any need?

Simply just after a bit of motivation that it is possible to achieve...................we all know what toned means don't we? I am not sure I understand some of the difficulties people are proclaiming to have with the phrase. 'Perfectly' was just used as a descriptive term, maybe not the right one but to be honest I thought we were all here to do well and be positive, I didn't expect for it to be jumped on!!

Thanks to all the people who replied nicely, I am not 100s of pounds overweight, I think I would like to lose around 50pounds, I just wonder if ive done too much damage to my body to ever be totally slim and toned

I am here to do well and be positive, too.

There are conditions that make losing weight more difficult, including Metabolic Syndrome, which is a nasty confluence of factors.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolic syndrome/DS00522

However, I think that is possible to go from obese to healthy weight, even for someone like myself with 130 lbs. to lose. I will go from fat and unhealthy to fit and healthy. It will take MORE time for me to do so than for someone with less weight and fewer years of bad, destructive eating and drinking.

From looking around here at the Forums and success stories, I know it can be done. The last few pounds are more stubborn than the first pounds.

Good luck and I hope you find people here who will be decent to you instead of rude.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Jeez there are a lot of rude people on this post picking fault with wording and such................any need?

Simply just after a bit of motivation that it is possible to achieve...................we all know what toned means don't we? I am not sure I understand some of the difficulties people are proclaiming to have with the phrase. 'Perfectly' was just used as a descriptive term, maybe not the right one but to be honest I thought we were all here to do well and be positive, I didn't expect for it to be jumped on!!

Thanks to all the people who replied nicely, I am not 100s of pounds overweight, I think I would like to lose around 50pounds, I just wonder if ive done too much damage to my body to ever be totally slim and toned

Wow, I didn't see anyone being rude.

"Toned" is a loosey goosey term that means different things to different folks. We have heard it used in many ways and in order to figure out what you are REALLY looking to achieve and how to advise you we need to know what the term means to you. It sounds like you mean just "not fat"? To some it means having visible muscles mass.

Lose the weight, you will then be "not fat" and what appears to be your definition of toned.

If you want visible muscle mass you will probably need to incorporate strength training, which is good for you anyway.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Don't be discouraged. I did it. 300 lbs to 200 lbs...at 40 years old.

I went from this:

100_3541.jpg

To this:

11_zps54a49eed.jpg
    10_zpsd2bd3a82.jpg

And became a Personal Trainer too.

I will tell you a few things about my journey. Mine was a long road - about 2 years. It takes consistent dedication and discipline to lose 100 lbs, it isn't easy. And, to make matters worse, and why (I think) so many people fail, it's especially difficult at the start.

One other thing I have become acutely aware of through training others. No one can want it for you, you have to REALLY want it for yourself.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Don't be discouraged. I did it. 300 lbs to 200 lbs...at 40 years old.

I went from this:

100_3541.jpg

To this:

11_zps54a49eed.jpg
    10_zpsd2bd3a82.jpg

And became a Personal Trainer too.

I will tell you a few things about my journey. Mine was a long road - about 2 years. It takes consistent dedication and discipline to lose 100 lbs, it isn't easy. And, to make matters worse, and why (I think) so many people fail, it's especially difficult at the start.

One other thing I have become acutely aware of through training others. No one can want it for you, you have to REALLY want it for yourself.

WOW..:heart:

OP - have you actually looked through the success stories section? Take a gander. 50 lbs is nothing. You got this.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No. Not possible at all. The Success Stories section is full of lies.

lies.

*snort*
    :laugh:
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...we all know what toned means don't we?
    Not really. It's a term about as ambiguous as "clean eating".

I have to say, I didn't really understand your question, either. It is clear from even the briefest glance at the matter that people can go from fat to fit, so with the assumption that you already know that, it means your question is really...fuzzy.

Personally, I have no idea what you were really asking about...
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    People are being "rude" as you call it because you posted a question without gandering through the forum for answers first. Once you've been here for a long time you see the same questions OVER and OVER and OVER again from people that don't bother to research things before they ask.

My 2 Cents.

Also, "toned" and "clean eating" are words you will find that you never want to use :flowerforyou:
  • BreeJaxon
    Options
    Um YEA, I've done it! I was 200 lbs
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to pick apart your words but it is difficult to perceive tone through text...not to mention what you are actually talking about. We can only go by the words you wrote. Just saying.

And to answer your question, I'll just basically repeat what VJohn was saying. There are a bunch of Success Stories in the Success Story section of the MFP forums you could check out. All you need to do is take a walk through those threads and you'll see exactly what you were wondering.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I started at over 300lbs.
    I have visible muscle definition and the loose skin is slowly tightening up.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it depends on how much u have to lose, age, how much u r willing to put into it. I am 50 and have lost a total of 138 lbs 115 since joining mfp I would say I am fit , I do have a little bit of lose skin but with clothes on u cant really tell and it is getting toner all the time.i went from having high blood pressure, high chlesterol, liver and kidney function messed up to having low blood pressure, chlesterol is now normal, liver and kidney functions are now normal, I also have fibromyalgia and pain levels r so much better...,,, so yes possible and sooooo worth it
  • jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    No, it's not. If you're fat, you should just give up.

Done!
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    What do you all think? Do you think if you have gained weight that it possible to get perfectly toned afterwards?

The many before and after photos threads in the Success Stories forum will answer your question better than anything that I could ever type! :smile:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You're not going to ditch any stretch marks you may have without surgical wizardry, and you may have loose skin on some parts of your body that will never completely tighten up and look like you were never overweight. But you can absolutely get really, really close if you're willing to work that hard. Just be prepared for it to take a really, really long time. I'm almost at the 4 year mark myself.

I don't have any proper "before" photos (as in half naked ones), but this is me before (in red) and after losing about 115 lbs:

fat1.JPG

517622_7952.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the negative comments.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!