Adding protein powder too.....

Options
Ok everyone, I am new to this whole Protein Powder thing, and so i went to GNC bought their unflavored pro performance. I would never drink a shake for a meal, my tummy hates a lot of sugar or sugary flavored things. I will literally feel sick.

So today I added 1/4 scoop to my 1 1/2 tbsps of blueberry cream cheese for my whole wheat bagel. I was SO nervous to try it but I did and it was actually amazing. The only difference was it was fluffier kinda like whipped cream cheese. So I figure it will probably be the same with adding it to most dairy products....

Has anyone tried baking with it? If so where do you find your recipes, or could you share?

Any other ideas on where to add it?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla flavored gold's standard.

I add it to unflavored low fat greek yogurt (I'm partial to Cabot)-

6-8 oz plain yogurt
    29 grams (1 scoop) protein
    5 oz of blackberries/raspberries

Delicious- tastes like fricking cake. love it.

I also just add it to milk- mix and enjoy- it's sweeter though- so I would try adding yours to maybe chocolate milk? you can add it to almost anything- it's pretty awesome just because it's easy.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate whey protein powder and I put it in my banana cream greek yogurt and just :love: it!!!!
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i chuck my chocolate whey into my brownie mixture instead of cocoa powder.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991227-ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg

^This has been my breakfast almost every day since I've found this gem. They are delicious! I use Trutein chocolate peanut butter cup.
  • ashleyrg
    ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancakes ! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

^This has been my breakfast almost every day since I've found this gem. They are delicious! I use Trutein chocolate peanut butter cup.

I second those pancakes!

I like it in oatmeal personally, but I use flavored powder (tried both vanilla and chocolate).
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein powder can someone tell me the benefits of it?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use it in baking all the time: biscuits, brownies, pancakes, etc. I just substitute 1/3 to 1/2 of the flour in a recipe with my protein powder. (Prairie Naturals rice protein)
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

It is a quick and easy supplement from cooking and eating "natural" protien. If you get enough protien in your diet, then its not necesary.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Basically it just helps you meet your protein goals. Some people (especially those who are lifting a lot whether for maintenance or bulking) have much higher protein requirements. Protein powder is often a quick, easy way to get some of that extra protein. It's not necessary, if you eat enough protein. But for me, it's nice to have as a fallback when I'm at less than 75% of my protein for the day and don't want to eat much more.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No benefit, unless you can't get enough protein in your diet.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You can just sub it for some of the flour in anything you bake, and googling protein powder recipes will get you tons of info. Since you have the unflavoured kind, you can blend up any fruit smoothie you can imagine. And I love pretty much any flavour mixed with plain greek yogurt. It's like a giant bowl of pudding. :)
  • AromaticTie0
    AromaticTie0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at folks saying there's no benefit. You need fat and protein in your diet. They help you feel full. It can help with hunger pangs.

Too much can be bad for you, but "too much" depends solely on you, and your needs. Liquid intake becomes even more important with more protein.

Try this for yourself: eat a regular yogurt at a specific time one morning and time when you feel hungry next. The next morning, eat a greek yogurt and see when you feel hungry again. There's a good chance it will be longer because of the additional protein. Results may vary.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone, I am new to this whole Protein Powder thing, and so i went to GNC bought their unflavored pro performance. I would never drink a shake for a meal, my tummy hates a lot of sugar or sugary flavored things. I will literally feel sick.

So today I added 1/4 scoop to my 1 1/2 tbsps of blueberry cream cheese for my whole wheat bagel. I was SO nervous to try it but I did and it was actually amazing. The only difference was it was fluffier kinda like whipped cream cheese. So I figure it will probably be the same with adding it to most dairy products....

Has anyone tried baking with it? If so where do you find your recipes, or could you share?

Any other ideas on where to add it?

There is an entire site dedicated to cooking with protein powder: www.proteinpow.com
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at folks saying there's no benefit. You need fat and protein in your diet. They help you feel full. It can help with hunger pangs.

There is no added benefit if you are able to take in adequate amounts of protein through whole foods. Powders are nothing more than a supplement when protein intake is not being met.
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I second those pancakes!

I like it in oatmeal personally, but I use flavored powder (tried both vanilla and chocolate).

How was the chocolate wey protein in this recipe? Were they still really good?
  • BlakeHorton
    BlakeHorton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like protein powder is for you, considering you don't like shakes or sugary things.

Why not just get your protein from actual foods instead? As long as you can hit your daily protein requirement within a 24 hour period, you'll be more than fine.

Personally, I look at protein powder as a waste of empty calories. Never fills me up and I already get more than enough protein from food.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just made this today and it was great:

Cream of wheat, hot cocoa powder, scoop of protein powder. YUM!

Cook cream of wheat in microwave with a little extra water for 1.5 minutes. Add protein powder (I used vanilla About Time protein, but I'm sure unflavored will be fine) and stir. Add hot cocoa powder and stir (I could've easily used half of the packet and it still would've been tasty).

A few months ago, I had some left over egg foo young with gravy on the side. I had the calories to spare, but I needed more protein. I just added unflavored protein powder to the gravy. It worked out so well! :smile:
  • you can pretty much just add it to anything. As someone who tries to take in at least 300g of protein while bulking you start getting really creative. Just throw it in and see what happens. Generally speaking sweet things work better, try mixing it with oats/oatmeal, yogurt, even cottage cheese works.
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    I use a heat resistant protein powder from fitness guru called OneBake so that I can bake and cook with it. It's not flavoured at all which I really like. I use it to make pancakes when I want to have a less naughty than it could have been naughty Sunday brunch, haha. I also add it to my oatmeal when I make it and to Oopsies ("bread" made with only eggs and cream cheese…!! Best thing ever) or anything else I bake.

I haven't found that I need actual shakes to reach my protein goals on a daily basis though so I never get the flavoured stuff. I just eat loads of actual food with protein instead.