Struggling matching my macros with my meal plans

Options
Trying to bulk up at the moment and as per i am not a big fan of many foods so i was going to try doing this with all my six meals consisting of only brown rice and chicken breast and es i know what your thinking that's gonna get old fast.

The macros i was set where : Protein- 187g Carbs- 468g Fat- 125g Fiber- 38g Calories- 3740
which in six meals would be around about Protein- 32g Carbs- 78g Fat- 21g Fiber- 7g Calories- 624

so i looked up the properties of brown rice and chicken breast and calculated each of my meals i calculated my Carbs from the brown rice which was 78g needed so i needed 331g of rice which also has 7.7g of protein and 2.8g of fat and 371 calories
i was then left with 116g of protein to eat after i took off the protein shake 24g so i calculated how much chicken i needed equaling 110g of chicken which after 6 meals would take my total to

198g of protein already over my macros
468g of carbs
23.4g fat
2,965.2 calories

can anyone tell me how i can change this so i hit my macros or at least come close to them because i am about 800 calories off and over 100g of fat

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    cook your chicken with olive oil, add butter to your rice. do you like avocado? you could add that to chicken and rice with some lime, tomatoes, etc. all 3 of those options will help you get your fat up. do you like nuts at all? walnuts, almonds, etc. can be great because they're calorie dense and they'll help you hit your fat goal while adding a bit of protein.

are you not planning on eating any vegetables? you might want to look into black beans, kidney beans, and/or lentils. they have a lot of fiber and a surprising amount of protein in addition to the carbs.

hope that helps!
  • connordeans95
    Options
    thanks that helps a lot never tried avocado but ill give it a go i am not a big fan of veg so i tend to stay away from it :( but there are some kinds of nuts ill eat most others i have yet to try think ill buy a few different kinds find which ones i prefer and add them to my meal plans thanks again. oh and never thought about adding butter to the rice interesting idea
  • Matt24442
    Options
    nuts
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Trying to bulk up at the moment and as per i am not a big fan of many foods so i was going to try doing this with all my six meals consisting of only brown rice and chicken breast and es i know what your thinking that's gonna get old fast.

The macros i was set where : Protein- 187g Carbs- 468g Fat- 125g Fiber- 38g Calories- 3740
    which in six meals would be around about Protein- 32g Carbs- 78g Fat- 21g Fiber- 7g Calories- 624

so i looked up the properties of brown rice and chicken breast and calculated each of my meals i calculated my Carbs from the brown rice which was 78g needed so i needed 331g of rice which also has 7.7g of protein and 2.8g of fat and 371 calories
    i was then left with 116g of protein to eat after i took off the protein shake 24g so i calculated how much chicken i needed equaling 110g of chicken which after 6 meals would take my total to

468g of carbs
    23.4g fat
    2,965.2 calories

can anyone tell me how i can change this so i hit my macros or at least come close to them because i am about 800 calories off and over 100g of fat

Yup. Also I suspect you'll be deficient in micronutrients since you're not planning on any vegetables or fruit.

eta: it'll help your fat and calories if you use chicken thighs instead of breast.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

468g of carbs
    23.4g fat
    2,965.2 calories

This is remarkably foolish for micronutrient density reasons, dietary adherence, and I'd take a guess that it's not going to do you any favors as far as your ability to maintain a good relationship with food.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I, too, suspect you will be deficient in multiple vitamins should you succeed with this diet for long.

Every heard of scurvy? It's caused by vitamin C deficiency.--- "Vitamin C is widespread in plant tissues, with particularly high concentrations occurring in cruciferous vegetables, capsicum fruit including chilli and all colours of bell peppers, citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits), and almost all fruits including culinary fruits like tomatoes."

However, "The Inuit appear to be very healthy with a diet almost devoid of plants. They appear to get enough from raw fish and organs of marine mammals, and muktuk, the skin of the beluga whale."

Maybe you can sub some organs and beluga for chicken a few times a week. :flowerforyou:
  • connordeans95
    Options
    I haven't had veg in my diet since it was forced upon me as a child i take strong multi vitamins fish oils, i also take Bcaa's from optimum nutrition and yes i do eat alot of fruit but did not included it in my calculations because it wasn't something i thought i would have needed to do
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I, too, suspect you will be deficient in multiple vitamins should you succeed with this diet for long.

Every heard of scurvy? It's caused by vitamin C deficiency.--- "Vitamin C is widespread in plant tissues, with particularly high concentrations occurring in cruciferous vegetables, capsicum fruit including chilli and all colours of bell peppers, citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits), and almost all fruits including culinary fruits like tomatoes."

However, "The Inuit appear to be very healthy with a diet almost devoid of plants. They appear to get enough from raw fish and organs of marine mammals, and muktuk, the skin of the beluga whale."

Maybe you can sub some organs and beluga for chicken a few times a week. :flowerforyou:

:angry: :angry: :angry:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I haven't had veg in my diet since it was forced upon me as a child i take strong multi vitamins fish oils, i also take Bcaa's from optimum nutrition and yes i do eat alot of fruit but did not included it in my calculations because it wasn't something i thought i would have needed to do

Most fruits I eat have 50-100 calories each, so if you're eating a lot of it that can add up. Also you can add some fat with fruits like avocado or olives.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Loads of carbs in most fruit, though obviously some are a lot of water too.

Do you like other cuts of chicken. Other meats?

Most people go for chicken breast because they don't want the fat - you pay more for this. If you go for fattier sections, or a fattier meat, it's an easy start to bumping your fat up.

But all the meals the same sounds far from ideal - surely there must be other food you like?
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Given that fruit has both calories and macro's yes I would include it. you should record everything that you eat or drink.

As to your macro's it looks relatively simple, you are short on fat, so eat something with fat in it. if you are drinking a protein shake you could add a tablespoon of peanut butter. You could also add a spoon of oil to your rice, (olive oil, walnut, almond, pistachio, macadamia, and hazelnb, coconut the list is endless)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a good option if you need fat. Bacon, too. And I have to be honest ... if I had those macro targets, I'd be downing cheesecake like there's no tomorrow.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Absolutely track the fruit, it adds up fast.
  • connordeans95
    Options
    well i could eat steak but not sure how to cook it so its not so chewy i usually cook it in the oven but takes ages for me to eat due to the chewiness i have yet to try fish that wasn't battered so unsure how to cook or even how to prepare such a meal suppose you could say i was lazy not for trying ill look up ways to cook these that i might like in-order to get variety and ill recalculate my macros thanks again for all the good suggestions from most of you i understand when it comes to my nutrition i still have a lot to learn
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    well i could eat steak but not sure how to cook it so its not so chewy i usually cook it in the oven but takes ages for me to eat due to the chewiness i have yet to try fish that wasn't battered so unsure how to cook or even how to prepare such a meal suppose you could say i was lazy not for trying ill look up ways to cook these that i might like in-order to get variety and ill recalculate my macros thanks again for all the good suggestions from most of you i understand when it comes to my nutrition i still have a lot to learn

Maybe get yourself a basic cookbook. Life's too short to eat boring food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

get your grill to about 550 and cook on both sides five minutes each = simple

end thread/
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

get your grill to about 550 and cook on both sides five minutes each = burned
    end thread/

3 minutes on one side, 2 and a half on the other.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Maybe get yourself a basic cookbook. Life's too short to eat boring food.

This. And cooking can be a lot of fun.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    eggs
    milk
    peanut butter
    salmon
    put olive oil on your meals

Fat should be the easiest macro to get it.

Do some reading on flexible dieting op, bodybuilding nutrition has come a long way from chicken and rice 6 times a day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

get your grill to about 550 and cook on both sides five minutes each = burned
    end thread/

3 minutes on one side, 2 and a half on the other.

if you want it rare...