Another question...

glypta
glypta Posts: 440 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have my settings at a hoped loss of 2lbs Per week - I only want to lose a few more so I'm comfortably under my Must Not Go Over weight. It gives me 1200kcals per day, but still works this out that I'll lose 0.5lbs a week. I'm confused, can anyone explain?

Thanks again...

Replies

• I have my settings at a hoped loss of 2lbs Per week - I only want to lose a few more so I'm comfortably under my Must Not Go Over weight. It gives me 1200kcals per day, but still works this out that I'll lose 0.5lbs a week. I'm confused, can anyone explain?

Thanks again...

What did you designate as your average work out amount per week? The estimated calorie burn there makes up the other amount I believe.
  • glypta
    Hiya,

Thanks for responding - here's what the goals bit says.

Calories Burned / Week 940 calories/week
    Workouts / Week 4 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 55 mins

Your diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,450 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 250 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 0.5 lbs/ week

What I actually do though (I wear a HRM) is 2 x 10k, 1 x approx 4 miles (a little slower) and a long run at the weekend (training for a half marathon so at least 9 miles, up to 12). A 10k gives me about 500kcals, and 9 miles gives me about 800.

Cheers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    MFP will not allow your calories to go below 1200 as it is next to difficult to get the required nutrition from less calories. Your maintenance calories must be about 1450 and to lose 2 pounds per week you have to be in a caloric deficit of 1000/day which would only give you 450 calories and MFP will not put you below 1200 therefore leaving your weightloss at 0.5/week as it takes a deficit of 3500 cals to lose a pound.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    This is because MFP will NOT advise you to eat less than 1200 calories/day. So if you are already at a healthy weight the only way to lose 2 lbs per week would be to eat less than 1200, which MFP cannot advise. So it gives you the most you can lose per week while still eating at least 1200. I do not advise this but if you are set on losing more than 0.5 lbs per week AND eating less than 1200 cals (not advised as body can go into starvation mode and you can actually gain weight( then you can go to change goals and check the custom buttom instead of guided button. Then you can enter in how many cals you wanna eat per day.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Actually, the amount of exercise you enter in the goals section does NOT figure into the calculations for your calories. Exercise cals are determined when you input your daily exercise under the exercise tab. Only your activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc) will affect your base calories.

Since you only have a few more pounds to go, the only way to achieve that is by a smaller deficit. There are many posts attesting to how slowly the last few pounds disappear. Specifically, MFP will not give you a calorie allowance below 1200 cals because it's not healthy to eat below that amount. What is your BMR? You should base your cals on your BMR and not eat below that.
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Hellllloooo!

It might be 1200 but that doesn't account for eating back at least 75% of your exercise cals (or prob 100%) to enable recovery from the mileage you are putting in.. Too little is probably worse than too much where you're at...
  • glypta
    I figured that might be it, but wanted to be sure - thanks everyone. I do feel like I've been battling these last few lbs FOREVER!!! but I know that's relatively normal. Mind you, losing weight generally has been tough, I've just been worried about eating too much. These last few buggers will go though, just out of sheer spite on my part, if nothing else!

Thanks again. x
This discussion has been closed.