P90x cooking

Options
What counts as a carb? would we base it on cals? 1 carb on the portion plan is 200 cals, so would we count about 1/2 cup flour? And would about 1/4 cup sugar count as another carb then?

Replies

• rschnuerle
    Options
    Do you have the P90X nutrition guide handy?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think it addresses this? Or maybe I just can't find it. I just decided to go via the cal count in the categories. Ie 1 carb = 200 cals so I count 200 cals worth of flour as 1 carb.
  • skydiveskier
    Options
    It's hard to say. They usually base the category number off of 'servings', rather than calorie totals.

BTW, you'll wanna stay away from flour... far, far away. Stick with good carbs like Fruits / Veggies and you'll get the results you want in NO TIME.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    It's hard to say. They usually base the category number off of 'servings', rather than calorie totals.

BTW, you'll wanna stay away from flour... far, far away. Stick with good carbs like Fruits / Veggies and you'll get the results you want in NO TIME.

They do mention though that, ie one serving of carbs is 200 cals, one condiment is 50 cals etc, so I can sort of use that as a basis. I'm not totally on the diet plan. It's just too much to try to do and staying away from flour is definitely not going to happen. I am ok with slower moderate results and not stressing myself out trying to totally change my diet. Plus, I don't really have the grocery bill to do it - so we're kind of whittling away at what we have, which is stuff definitely not always on the menu! (Mac and Cheese....)
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I was told to go by your total cals for the day. 50% of your calories go to protien, 30% to carb and the rest of the 20% to fat. But to be honest the only way I can consume that much protien is with protien shakes. I've never been much of a big meat eater my self so it vary hard for me. Wish you the best. :)
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    yeah. I'm always like 100 below on protein even with a shake and eggs and meat... I'm just trying to stay in my cals and do more protein than usual. It's not that feasable for me to do the diet completely. But I think that's OK because my goal is not necessarily to be ripped, but to lose about 10 lbs and tone some.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I made german pancakes - which are 3 eggs, 1/2 c flour, 1/2c milk. ... so I would guess that that counts as 1 protein, 1 carb, 1 dairy.

Also, i count my protein shake as a protein and a dairy and not as a snack because otherwise I would be like 130 protein short!

I have a whiteboard on my fridge that I mostly guestimate servings, and then actually enter it here and go more by the #s here.