Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

BMR vs TDEE

this is a reprint of songbyrdsweet's post from months ago. Here is the link in case your are interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you?hl=tdee
I am just posting this in its own thread because there is soooo much confusion on this topic.

BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate, is the number of calories you would burn in a coma. That means no thinking, no sitting, no digesting, just lying unconscious. It is enough to produce sufficient ATP (energy in the body) to prevent organ failure.

TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure, is the number of calories you burn while not in a coma. It includes waking up, walking around, going to work, eating, digesting, talking, cooking, etc. It ALSO INCLUDES EXERCISE.

So, when MFP asks for your activity level, they are multiplying your estimate BMR by and activity factor and producing your TDEE, NOT YOUR BMR.

For instance:
My BMR is 1,265--tested in a lab at rest.
My TDEE without exercise is 1,900 calories because I am very active during the day.
My TDEE with exercise is 2,300 calories.
I eat about 1800 calories. That is less than my TDEE, but NOT less than my BMR.

MFP subtracts the 500 calories to create my deficit, which is why it allows me to eat 1700-1800 calories after exercise. On days I don't exercise, MFP recommends that I eat 1400 calories. That's way less than my TDEE, but still more than my BMR. Even if MFP recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day, I wouldn't bother, because I'm obviously burning more than that just sleeping all day.

So keep in mind, when MFP asks what your activity level is, even if you say sedentary, that number is NOT your true BMR. It is your TDEE.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    This is a great reminder. One thing to point out, though, because this doesn't make it super clear:

MFP's calories burned from normal daily activity (which is what it subtracts the deficit from to come up with what you should eat) is your TDEE WITHOUT exercise. MFP comes up with your TDEE with exercise by adding your exercise calories to what you should eat for the day.

This is based on the idea that the activity level you set when setting your goals is not including exercise - it's asking how active you are on a day to day basis without added exercise. (Doing stuff around the house, working, running errands, etc.) This way, you don't overeat on days where you don't exercise - you eat only your normal daily activity calories (minus the deficit), but on days you do exercise, your exercise calories get added in and you eat your normal daily activity calories plus your exercise calories (minus the deficit).
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    So I went to a couple of sites to get an idea of what my BMR is and it seems to be n the ball park of 1900 Some site say its higher some lower, but 1900 seems to be the average. However MPF has set my daily calories at 1370 without exercise at 2 pounds a week. So how does that work? :frown: :huh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    So I went to a couple of sites to get an idea of what my BMR is and it seems to be n the ball park of 1900 Some site say its higher some lower, but 1900 seems to be the average. However MPF has set my daily calories at 1370 without exercise at 2 pounds a week. So how does that work? :frown: :huh:

MFP will set your daily calories below your BMR, but not below 1200. I've heard some people say that you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, and I've heard others say it's okay.

Personally, I've been eating under my BMR for most of the past year, and I feel fine. If I felt bad/sluggish/tired/etc., I would up my calories, but I have plenty of energy, so I'm not worried about it.
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    MFP will set your daily calories below your BMR, but not below 1200. I've heard some people say that you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, and I've heard others say it's okay.

Personally, I've been eating under my BMR for most of the past year, and I feel fine. If I felt bad/sluggish/tired/etc., I would up my calories, but I have plenty of energy, so I'm not worried about it.

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    bump
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    bump
  • Bump