Fit Bit Question

Options
I am getting a fit bit soon and am wondering if it tracks calories burned though regular exercise, like cardio jumping jacks and the like. Or is it just walking/ running.

Replies

• stellalina404
    Options
    If you wear it while doing it, it might note the extra calories burned but it might not. I've noticed sometimes when I dance that it picks up the extra steps and sometimes I just take it off and manually add the calories. It's better to just take it off while doing other exercises and manually add the calories burnt so that it doesn't mess up the step system it has. I've also noticed that it sometimes slips off my wrist (i'm on the small wristband and the tightest notch it's not loose on me) while I'm dancing and doing gymnastics and ice skating, so I recommend adding the calories through either the myfitnesspal app or the fitbit app later.
  • Its_kay_10
    Options
    Thanks, I am getting the Zip. I've noticed that with the strength building exercises it doesnt have the calories burned and it doesnt even have some of the exercises that I do, mountain climbers., burpees, listed so that's why I was wondering.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just got a zip for Christmas, and my understanding is that you can wear it during other exercises but the count may not be accurate. If you link your Fit Bit page and MFP then you should log the activity on MFP with the time you started. The two will automatically sync and you won't have to worry about double entries.
  • kleigh712
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Force yesterday. Does anyone know how to link the Fitbit to MFP? I'm technologically challenged!!! LOL
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just got a zip for Christmas, and my understanding is that you can wear it during other exercises but the count may not be accurate. If you link your Fit Bit page and MFP then you should log the activity on MFP with the time you started. The two will automatically sync and you won't have to worry about double entries.

This is what I did. It is only really accurate for walking/running/jogging, but not for say, cardio sculpt or any other non-step based activity.

I synced my fitbit with MFP and logged my other exercises on MFP
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You can log non-step activities either in Fitbit or in MFP -- never in both. If you choose the MFP route, you'll have to specify start & end times. Then MFP will override your Fitbit burn during that time. (This is what MFP recommends, but I log all activity in Fitbit. It'll take some trial & error to see what works best for you.)
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Go to the Apps tab on MFP and you can link there by selecting Fit Bit.