lifters- whats some lat exercises?

Options
Ive been neglecting my back and chest. My pull ups are pathetic. What are some lat exercises i can do with dumbells and a barbell? So far I'm only doing bent over rows and pull ups (which isnt many before I hit fatigue.)

(I already do bent over flys for rear delts on arm day)

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html#anchor125439

Also, when you are doing your major lifts, make sure you are activating the lats (bench, deadlift, squats.)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    pullovers can either be done on a bench or on an exercise ball
    also have you tried doing negative pullups to help reach your pull up goal?
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html#anchor125439

Also, when you are doing your major lifts, make sure you are activating the lats (bench, deadlift, squats.)

I get what ypu are saying for bench, i dont deadlift, but I backload Squats, how do I activate lats? Sorry, Im a newb lifter and self taught, so to speak.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

No idea what negative pullups are. Off to google.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Ive been neglecting my back and chest. My pull ups are pathetic. What are some lat exercises i can do with dumbells and a barbell? So far I'm only doing bent over rows and pull ups (which isnt many before I hit fatigue.)

(I already do bent over flys for rear delts on arm day)
    Honestly, those 2 are really all you need. Just get good at them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Pull ups are king..focus on wide grip for a wider back..do as many as you can to failure then move to assisted. Once you get to around 15 (unassisted) you can try weighted with 10 lbs, so on and so forth..other than that you can do seated rows, bent over rows, lat pulldowns..don't forget you can work different muscle groups by flipping your grip and changing locations on the bar. Also negatives help a ton in getting good at pull ups.
  • 0shifty0
    Options

No idea what negative pullups are. Off to google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfXuohjylwI
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Underhand bent-over rows will do wonders for your lats, dumbbell pullovers (barbell too) will hit the lats very, very well if you go full enough range of motion.
    If you can set the bar on two chairs or something like that, inverted rows with a wide grip will demolish your lats.

My lats are cartoonishly wide, so I've gotten pretty used to a good routine, wide grip pull-ups are fantastic too, but you need to do your pull-ups from a dead hang or otherwise you won't get a fraction of the benefits, all the way to chin as well.
  • 0shifty0
    Options
    I highly recommend adding in deadlifts (you will love them) and bench press. If I may suggest, check out Mark Rippetoe on YT for his in depth demonstration on how to deadlift properly.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I do dumbbell pullovers, and I think those will help you learn to activate your lats. They are awesome for them, too, but I think that's a good benefit to learning them even if you don't want to continue them. They hit chest a little and serratus really, really nicely, so I love them, personally.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Pull ups are king..focus on wide grip for a wider back..do as many as you can to failure then move to assisted. Once you get to around 15 (unassisted) you can try weighted with 10 lbs, so on and so forth..other than that you can do seated rows, bent over rows, lat pulldowns..don't forget you can work different muscle groups by flipping your grip and changing locations on the bar. Also negatives help a ton in getting good at pull ups.

I know. Im just weak. I can do 6 under hand, 4 hammer, but 1 over hand wide. Hahaha! Sad...
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I work out in my ghetto garage gym. My posture is horrible. I look up videos for form and my head starts spinning with all the details. I dont want to get used to deadlifting the incorrect way. I need a trainer to show me, but with 3 kids and a deployed husband, thats not an option right now.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I do dumbbell pullovers, and I think those will help you learn to activate your lats. They are awesome for them, too, but I think that's a good benefit to learning them even if you don't want to continue them. They hit chest a little and serratus really, really nicely, so I love them, personally.

I looked it up amd will be adding it to my routine. Thanks. Not looking forward to doms. Ha!
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dong lawnmowers are great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh7YZuAZkw (this video shows form with no weights.)
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I highly recommend adding in deadlifts (you will love them) and bench press. If I may suggest, check out Mark Rippetoe on YT for his in depth demonstration on how to deadlift properly.

Forgot to quote you, see two responses up^^^
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

^^^ This!
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Thanks! I'll update once I hit 10 overhand pull ups. Ha!