Can raising calories increase metabolism?

Options
Hey, I've heard that while dieting to lose weight, weekly re-feeds above maintenance are imperative as it temporarily spikes the metabolism. I also heard that after dieting to lose weight, the metabolism slows down and going straight from the deficit back maintenance calories will make the body see maintenance as a surplus and store it all as fat, i know that completely goes against the whole idea of having re-feeds but this is actually true as i have been in both situations. So since slowly increasing calories after a diet allows the metabolism to know what to do with the slowly increase in calories and use it for other bodily functions instead of putting it in fat stores, otherwise slowly increasing maintenance, once maintenance calories is attained, or even if someone who never dieted does this, would slowly increasing calories from maintenance by 100 each week naturally increase maintenance and increase metabolism without or minimal weight gain?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The primary reason so many gain a quick few pounds when going on maintenance is because they didn't fuel properly during the dieting phase, blew out their glycogen stores, which promptly get refilled (along with a crap load of water) as soon as surplus calories are available.

But bottom line answer to your question - no, you cannot micromanage your metabolism that way.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    increasing calories above maintenance consistently will lead to weight gain. Less calories than TDEE = weight loss. Equal calories to TDEE = maintenance. More calories than TDEE = weight gain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Don't micromanage..........other than transient weight gain from food, water etc which fluctuates all day long your only going to see steady weight gain consuming too much, period.