Power yoga?

Options
Has anyone lost from power yoga a balanced diet? 30 day shred has discouraged me from from working out due to the pain I felt in my knees.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for exercise that burns lots of calories, and is easy on the knees, maybe try bicycling or swimming. Yoga is great, but it does not burn much.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Yoga builds strength & flexibility, reduces stress, and so much more.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Fast, flowing yoga gets you moving pretty well. It's better than my fastest walk on the movement scale, if that helps any. About like hiking for me, I'd say (where you move more of your body parts and use more strength). It won't burn calories like cardio meant to burn a lot of calories :)

Try it and see if it's your thing! It has a lot of benefits.
  • Martincindye
    Martincindye Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of power yoga. Interesting. I do mountain bike and that is easy on the knees and burns a lot of calories. Maybe a combo of yoga and cycling and possibly swimming?
  • katielyon
    katielyon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have knee issues (from too many boot camp classes). I do power vinyasa yoga 3x per week and walk approx 4 miles every day. I get cardio from the walking and tone/strength training from the yoga. If you are familiar with yoga and the pose names, there is an excellent free podcast on iTunes. It's Power Vinyasa Yoga with TeriLeigh. I usually track about 300 calories burned for an hour of yoga, not including warmup or prolonged stretching.
  • reali
    reali Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. If you don't practice yoga then you don't really know the benefits and how toned it can get you and how sweaty you can get in a relatively short workout. There was a month when I was doing yoga everyday for a half hour and my arms were super toned and I noticed a huge difference in my body. I was doing Yoga Sculpt with Maura Barclay (you can find it on YouTube) and not only did I love it I also felt like I was working out. You can definitely lose weight if you are eating healthy and doing yoga.