I joined a gym/fitness center today...

Options
JG762
JG762 Posts: 571 Member
Lord what have I done! LoL
I haven't worked out or lifted in more years than I can remember, I mean like 30...
Good thoughts are appreciated!

Replies

• happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    that's awesome!!! Good luck, I know you'll do well. Everyone was a newbie at some point!
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    That is great! Have the staff show you the correct way to use the equipment. Don't overdo. Let us know how you do with the new start.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1st off - woohoo and way to go!

2ndly - if you're anything like me, that 1st day - just that push - that c'mon let's do this - getting in the 1st day is the hardest. Then you'll enjoy it more!

Maybe go in with a set in stone gameplan? I figure you didn't go the personal training route yet - so maybe say specifically:
    "I WILL GO TO THE GYM __X AMOUNT OF DAYS__ FOR __X AMOUNT OF TIME__"

That seems to help me. I only work 3 days a week - so i told myself, everyday you're not at work you will go to the gym.
    So even if I walk in, and say not feeling it and just stroll on the treadmill for heck 10min - that's 10min better than if I had blown it and chose not to go at all.

Some days I'm all on it - and will stay for hour and a half or so - some days - i'm not 'feeling it' - but the idea is go go go! it's so good for ya.

i have been out sick with the flu and missed 2 weeks worth - and i'm looking forward to getting back.

good luck and way to go pal! :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!

Can I add a bit of advice? Start slow. No need to kill yourself the first week. If it's truly been decades, you'll want to push yourself yes, but don't work so hard that you won't be able to go back tomorrow.

Can you afford a personal trainer?? Good form is super important. There are also tons and tons of videos help online to show you the proper form and possible programs.

Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just go and try stuff out, ask for a trainer to give you an intro to the equipment. They'll do it for free.

Just remember, by the day after tomorrow there will be tons of people even newer than you.

I would strongly recommend going TOMORROW (NYE) and getting yourself acquainted before the big rush starts on the first.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sent you a friend request.. I go to my gym almost daily and I'm a 59 year old woman ;-) Good luck
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Go, ask for help, do what you can- then repeat! Enjoy and best of luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That is great! Have the staff show you the correct way to use the equipment. Don't overdo. Let us know how you do with the new start.
    ^^THIS^^ Good luck!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You've gotten lots of great advice. I agree with the others - start slow! It's easy to push too hard & end up hurting yourself.

I do the "10 minute rule" too when I'm not feeling it. And sometimes after 10 minutes I really do quit, but not very often. It just helps get yourself in the gym in the first place knowing you've given yourself permission to cut it short.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    COOL!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just know EVERYONE is getting ready for new ppl to go to gyms on January 1st, including the staff so don't be afraid to ask questions NOW is the time. It will be assumed you are in need of knowledge and so don't be shy to ask about the equipment there. For food advice though, better to come on here and see if you can suss out the most famous food and cal counting threads made here. Level Obstacles is one Guide to Sexypants is another. Good luck, you got this! :flowerforyou:
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    And so it begins....
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well done, ease yourself in!
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My gym also does rehabilitation therapy for the local hospital. It is full of grayhairs and people lugging their oxygen tanks. I joined after having enough therapy there to be able to move again. I'm 57 and going 6 days per week. While I do work out on my own, I especially enjoy the group classes. Good luck to you, and mind what others say here and don't push too hard.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you can find someone to work out with, it will make it more enjoyable and you will more likely go instead of finding ways of missing.

Start slow, walking on the treadmill at 2.5 to 3.5 mph if you are truly out of shape for no more than 30 minutes
    Do a slow warm up and cool down of 5 minutes each.
    Stretch the muscles a little.

Find a program that will work for your needs.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Go back again tomorrow :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    congrats…

now get on a heavy lifting/compound movement type program and shred it!! Don't be afraid of the free weight section...
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Well done, ease yourself in!

*snort*
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Make your goal to still be there at the end of February...and then look in amazement at how you no longer have to wait your turn for equipment and then remember how crowded the gym was at the beginning of January. You make it to the end of February --- just 8 weeks from now --- and you will still be going in May, August, November...etc.

Seriously, sign up for some courses too - they are often part of the membership (aka - free) and will break up the monotony.

Diet and exercise really works - I lost 75 pounds in 18 months and have kept it off for 2 years.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    WoW thanks for all the support and advice!
    Honestly it's helped already, I'm a guy, I have testosterone, I'm competitive, but the advice to start slowly is great advice and something that was going to be very difficult for me to do.
    I'm going to take your advice and start slowly but consistently!