Goal to lose 30lbs ASAP, I need help. Please read!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Let's assume you're 145 without clothes. That means you want to lose 15-20 lbs. Set MFP to lose 1 lb per week. Then when you get to your last 10 lbs, change to lose .5 lbs per week.

Get a food scale and weigh your food. Log everything accurately. Eat back half your exercise calories.

I'd recommend a progressive loading strength training program to retain muscle while you lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    Let's assume you're 145 without clothes. That means you want to lose 15-20 lbs. Set MFP to lose 1 lb per week. Then when you get to your last 10 lbs, change to lose .5 lbs per week.

Get a food scale and weigh your food. Log everything accurately. Eat back half your exercise calories.

I'd recommend a progressive loading strength training program to retain muscle while you lose weight.

^ listen to this...
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Try to start using the elliptical, you need food and exercise for the whole equation..
    I also recommend strength training :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,360 MFP Moderator

This too. Also as a mother you need more calories as you tend to be more active. So you should set you account to lightly active. If you breast feed add another 300 to 500 calories to ensure your baby is getting adequate nutrition. I highly concur on the resistance training program, even if you start with body resistance. If you weight training and eat adequate protein (about 1g of protein per lb of lbm or about 110 to 120g of protein) then it will help with muscle retention. More muscle will allow you to achieve more visual results.
  • GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,117 Member
    Hi! Make an appointment with yourself at least 5 days a week to get on the elliptical for a "set" amount of time. I do best when I am listening to music or watching T.V. You could start with 20 minutes a day at a fairly easy level. If you make yourself do this--tell yourself that it's only 20 minutes of your life--in a few weeks it will have become a habit. As your level of physical fitness improves, you can add minutes and levels. Best of all, you don't have to do it all at one time. Let's say you are up to 30 minutes. You could do 10 minutes in the a.m., 10 minutes in the afternoon, and 10 minutes at night. You'll at least be burning some extra calories. Also, figure out exactly how many calories you need. You can do a search for BMR calculator (myfitnesspal has one), which will tell you basically what the amount of calories your body burns by just "being." If you can stay around that amount and burn off 250 extra calories a day through exercise, the weight will come off. Also, if you eat a lot of refined carbs, such as white bread, pizza, most pastas, etc., you should exchange them for green vegetables, fruits, and lean protein. I didn't believe that last part until I tried the South Beach Diet. I lost about 20 lbs. that way (I wasn't part of myfitnesspal when I did that), and now I stay mostly refined-carb free and stay around 120-125. I exercise almost every day. Do I love exercising? No (except for kickboxing when I'm really stressed about something). Do I make excuses not to exercise? Absolutely. But then I tell myself how much better I will feel when it's over, how much better my clothes will fit, and how much better my health will be.

Two books that really made sense to me and that helped me want to lose the weight and have helped me keep it off are The Thin Commandments (Gullo) and I Can Do This Diet (Colbert). Good luck! I hope you win! Have fun storming the castle!
  • Try to start using the elliptical, you need food and exercise for the whole equation..
    I also recommend strength training :)

I'm going to change my diet and use the elliptical but I just don't know how often/how long to use the elliptical for it to be effective and healthy.
  • A realistic amount of weight is 12lbs in 6 weeks.

I would seriously reconsider the "weight lost NOW" attitude, because if you don't you'll lose the weight, and then be back here posting that you're starting over in 6 months.

QFT.

6 Weeks is not a lot of time for significant weight loss. Mild deficit + time will be better in the long run. Did you just decide Feb. 14th for fun? It's not as is you're stepping on stage to be judged by people, doing a photo shoot etc. So whats the rush?

I chose February 14th because it's valentines day and I have plans to dress nice and do something special for my fiancé and I want to be comfortable with myself for that otherwise it's not happening. And it may not seem so important to everyone else but my body is really effecting my mental health in a very negative way more than even my fiancé understands and being comfortable in my own skin will help that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    join a gym, lift heavy using compound movements, eat in calorie deficit, and hit macros….success will come
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    A realistic amount of weight is 12lbs in 6 weeks.

I would seriously reconsider the "weight lost NOW" attitude, because if you don't you'll lose the weight, and then be back here posting that you're starting over in 6 months.

QFT.

6 Weeks is not a lot of time for significant weight loss. Mild deficit + time will be better in the long run. Did you just decide Feb. 14th for fun? It's not as is you're stepping on stage to be judged by people, doing a photo shoot etc. So whats the rush?

I chose February 14th because it's valentines day and I have plans to dress nice and do something special for my fiancé and I want to be comfortable with myself for that otherwise it's not happening. And it may not seem so important to everyone else but my body is really effecting my mental health in a very negative way more than even my fiancé understands and being comfortable in my own skin will help that.

yes, weight loss with a time line attached to it always works out just fine :huh:

your body won't change that much losing 10lbs. Aiming for a 2lbs week weight loss when you are already at a normal weight is setting yourself up for failure and that won't improve your mental health. A weekly 2lbs weight loss requires a 1000 calorie deficit. You can do your own math and go with 3500 cals in a 1lbs of fat and see how much you would have to work out and how little you need to eat in order to get to your goal.

Addressing your mental health and your body image is something that needs to go hand in hand with your weight loss, because you won't suddenly start to love it just because you dropped some weight.
  • A realistic amount of weight is 12lbs in 6 weeks.

QFT.

yes, weight loss with a time line attached to it always works out just fine :huh:

your body won't change that much losing 10lbs. Aiming for a 2lbs week weight loss when you are already at a normal weight is setting yourself up for failure and that won't improve your mental health. A weekly 2lbs weight loss requires a 1000 calorie deficit. You can do your own math and go with 3500 cals in a 1lbs of fat and see how much you would have to work out and how little you need to eat in order to get to your goal.

Addressing your mental health and your body image is something that needs to go hand in hand with your weight loss, because you won't suddenly start to love it just because you dropped some weight.

You can't say that losing weight won't help my mental health because you don't know me. And I never said that I was trying to lose the 30lbs within the 6 weeks of my goal date. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself but all I was saying was that I am trying to show sufficient progress in my weight loss journey because seeing progress will help me feel better about myself in seeing that all of my efforts are for a reason and it will be encouraging. Not once did I say I was trying to lose 30lbs in 6 weeks just that I am simply looking to see progress by my goal date. And my weight is not already a normal weight for me, I am overweight and uncomfortable.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,555 Member

QFT.

You can't say that losing weight won't help my mental health because you don't know me. And I never said that I was trying to lose the 30lbs within the 6 weeks of my goal date. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself but all I was saying was that I am trying to show sufficient progress in my weight loss journey because seeing progress will help me feel better about myself in seeing that all of my efforts are for a reason and it will be encouraging. Not once did I say I was trying to lose 30lbs in 6 weeks just that I am simply looking to see progress by my goal date. And my weight is not already a normal weight for me, I am overweight and uncomfortable.

You're misinterpreting what was said in that last post...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,360 MFP Moderator
    Broscience makes a good point about improving mental health. Its very common that those who are uncomfortable with their current weight feel the same when they lose all the weight. Its one reason ED's are so common and hard to beat. While we would all love to think that weight is the issue, in many cases its a self image problem. I would suggest setting non weight goals (strength goals) or nsv (down a size in a dress or shirt). I actually put a lot more value in the nsv than scale victories.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Being snarky and defensive is a good way to make people not want to help you.

People are concerned, perhaps you should listen.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    you didnt gain the weight ASAP, why expect to be able to lose it ASAP?

ASAP meaning I'm not looking for leisurely guidelines with the minimum requirements to maybe lose some weight. But for the record the weight did come on pretty quick considering I was at a content 135lbs for a long time. And again, as I said the the other person, I'm not asking to lose the 30lbs in 6 weeks, but simply asking people who have been working hard rather than taking their time what type of routines they have or what success they have had so far, what has worked for them and what hasn't and maybe for some advice.

Are you implying that people who chose to lose weight at a healthy rate (.5 - 2 pounds per week) eating at a modest calorie deficit (or in your terms "taking their time") are not working hard? Yeah, those slow and steady people who sensibly reached their goal weights didn't work hard at all :huh:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Being snarky and defensive is a good way to make people not want to help you.

People are concerned, perhaps you should listen.

Sounds like she just wants someone to tell her the latest crash diet to follow.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Hey Liz! I'd say in 6 weeks time an average loss would be anywhere between 3 and 12lbs. 3 being if your goal was a half pound loss per week and 12 if it was a 2lb. per week. However, the 2lbs. per week probably isn't reasonable since it would put you at a low amount of cals or with LOTS of exercise. So, what I would do, if it were me, is fill out the whole MFP thing and set your goal to a 1lb. loss per week. Then try to be at that calorie goal every day. If you exercise, I would then only eat about 1/4 to 1/2 of those exercise cals back unless you are using a heart rate monitor to accurately track them -- the ones on here and the ones on the machine can be exaggerated. As for exercise, I'd do what was fun. If you like the elliptical, maybe plan on doing that a few days a week or just walking more. But do something you will ENJOY! Bring a book, listen to music, pop in your fave TV show or movie and hop to it! If you're interested in toning and building muscle, that would be great, too, since with lifting heavy not only would you LOOK smaller, but you burn more cals just sitting around the more muscle you have. But I understand you may not want to jump into that right away. But you should check out the heavy lifting for women success boards -- those women are AMAZING!!! Seriously. The biggest thing is to get your food in check. Set up the account and eat at those calories. Weigh the food you can and measure the other and if you are at your cals, you should lose. First things first, get a scale and get an accurate weight, though! With all of those clothes on, that number was nowhere near accurate! lol So don't be too hard on yourself. Next, don't give up. I know some people say that 5 or 10lbs. won't show... but it will. And even if you only go down a little or if you only get exercising, there will be changes and you will feel better. I think in 6 weeks you can for sure see changes and will feel different. Good luck and focus on the positives of making the changes and how you're going to feel and not on the negatives of how you were feeling. Looking forward to something happy is always better than drowning in the bad!!! You can do it -- you just gotta want it! :bigsmile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Let me give you a personal example of why scale number time goals don't work.

When I started here, I didn't lose a single pound for 6 weeks. 6 WEEKS! I was exercising almost every day- lifting weights and running, and sticking to my calorie counts religiously. I would have been FURIOUS......except......in that time I lost 6 inches on my waist, 2 full pant sizes, and people started telling me how different I looked. If I had obsessed about the numbers on the scale, I would have quit, or lowered my calories until I was starving, or something else that would have ultimately caused failure. After the six weeks the pounds came off sort of all at once, and I caught up to the 2lbs per week I should have been losing.

My point here is that the number on the scale is fickle, and isn't a metric to determine if you're going to look good in clothes or have other people notice your loss. It's just a number.

When I was at my goal size, I ended up adjusting my goal weight upwards, because I now fit in clothes better than when I was younger and 20lbs lighter.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member

QFT.

Sweetheart, if you're really willing to work really, really hard for 6 weeks, let that work be in counseling. Because you can be comfortable in your own skin even if you're significantly overweight, if you are mentally healthy.

If you won't do it for yourself, do it for your kid. He is depending on you and you're all he's got to help him become a stable, self-sufficient and healthy human being. Whatever you model for him is what he will internalize. Kids are always learning something. What do you want your kid to learn in the next 6 weeks?
  • 1. Though there are many who can do so, I wouldn't recommend limiting your caloric intake to 1200 cal/day (unless you are going to be sedentary). That does not work for everyone. I ended up feeling deprived. You may have to do trial and error, doing something for a month or so to see how you feel. I have been losing weight on 1800-2000 cal/day.

2. As for regular exercise, that's a necessary evil. ;O) Just gotta do it. Ever try lifting? It's addicting and really does wonders for the female figure. I am 5'4 and started out at 179, and my goal at that time was what I weighed back when I was 20 (125lbs). But, by the time I reached 145, I changed my goal. With all the muscle I put on, I was looking hot!

3. I did have to ignore the scale as it went down slowly, but the inches flew off. So I suggest measuring more if you lift.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Hi,

I saw your newest thread trying to clear up some misunderstanding here, but I'm going to just reply here. I have lost about 34 pound since about May. I never put a time limit on it. At first, I lost very little weight due to overestimating exercise calories and underestimating food calories, which means I was eating more than I thought I was. It took awhile to really get the logging accuracy down, but once I did I started seeing some great progress.

I understand you want to see some progress by Feb 14, but I am hoping you realize that it is unrealistic to lose all 30 pounds by then. Since you want to lose 30 pounds, I would suggest starting out by setting your goals to lose 1 pound a week, weight all solid food and measure all liquids, and log in every single bite you eat, and you should lose weight. If you exercise, be sure to eat a portion of your exercise calorie back.

Whether or not you see results is up to if you choose to stay within your calorie deficit or not. Please don't try and lose it too fast because then you may just become a "skinny fat" person. Slow is the best way to lose weight.

The best of luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.