anyone else into powerlifting or bodybuilding?

Options
i was just cheching to see if there are any powerlifters or bbs on here? my family is into powerlifting, wanting to know if anyone shares the same interest.

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm into figure competitions... a division of bodybuilding so yes. A powerlifting coach wants me to get into powerlifting in the off season and I've been incorporating power squats into workouts, but I don't know if I'm into it yet.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Not exactly - but I'm a former gym rat - I'm really into my boxing workouts right now, and I **LOVE** working with kettlebells. I love power moves!!

Friend me if you like ~ I'd love to hear how your routines and schedules are if you share them here.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a secret (well, I guess not secret anymore) desire to compete at some point. I am addicted to weightlifting and the addiction is only getting stronger as more muscle is revealed and the excess layer of "padding" disappears :)
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    that's great to hear! my end goal is to be on stage in figure as well...in the master class. im hitting this figure goal later in life (im 42). my husband has trained me in powerlifting to put on muscle mass and now its time to hit the dieting pretty hard. we owned a gym and stress has put a hurting on my body so now that we merged our gym with another, the stress is gone and i can focus on ME. i have hit a few bench contests with my 12 yr old son and hubby and training to do one in Dec after we get back from the Worlds. from your profile pic, you look great! have you competed yet or do you have one coming up?
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    Gym rats rock!!! we had our gym t'shirts made up with "gym rat" on the back. they sold fast! lifting is a good addiction!
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    i can't wait to see what is under my "padding" too!!! this MFP and forum will be a major part of me seeing that success.
  • SarahNicole317
    Options
    My first contest is in 7 weeks and then I plan on switching over to the NPC on November 6th. I just signed on with a competitive figure team :)
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    My first contest is in 7 weeks and then I plan on switching over to the NPC on November 6th. I just signed on with a competitive figure team :)

7 weeks out!! that is sooo exciting! keep me posted on your weekly goals. i want to hear the good and bad of the count down. what contest is it? whre is it?
  • SarahNicole317
    Options

7 weeks out!! that is sooo exciting! keep me posted on your weekly goals. i want to hear the good and bad of the count down. what contest is it? whre is it?

It's in Cedar Rapids, IA. I just hope I come in tight enough! I start a new diet and just started a new workout plan from my coach and he's been able to 13 girls pro so I trust him and I know it will be a great 7 weeks! I'll definitely keep you posted! Have you been able to go to the Arnold Classic since you are in Ohio?
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started powerlifting about 3 years ago, competed locally, now more in to strongman, but still love powerlifting. Once I'm down enough weight to compete in a lower weight class, I'll start competing again.
    snf_05, good luck on the final prep for the contest.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    training for my second show this Oct but training and working are tough to work-out
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    training for my second show this Oct but training and working are tough to work-out

I agree, I'm training for my 3rd but my kids and job keep me hopping, I find myself in the gym at 3am to get in a good solid weight lifting workout....i'm leaning right now, but I gotta wath because my agent (for modelling) has an easier time marketing me when I look softer...never win :sad:
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    coach turning 13 pro...impressive! let's hope for 14!

we go to the Arnold every year. My husband is sponsored by Universal Nutrition and is one of the "Cage" crew. he is one of the 1st athletes that started the cage with Animalpak. he has taken some time off with Universal due to his arm snapping in half as he was benching at a contest but is now reconstructed with rods, back under heavy wt and gearing up for the Worlds in Nov. If you don't mind, i'd like to pick you brain as to what works with dieting and what workouts work best for your prep time

It's in Cedar Rapids, IA. I just hope I come in tight enough! I start a new diet and just started a new workout plan from my coach and he's been able to 13 girls pro so I trust him and I know it will be a great 7 weeks! I'll definitely keep you posted! Have you been able to go to the Arnold Classic since you are in Ohio?
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    glad to see there are other gymrats/meatheads out there in MFP land. i was wondering if there was a bunch due to the strict dieting and keeping diet/workout journals as part of training. hope to meet a lot of sisters and brothers of the iron on here!
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    I started powerlifting about 3 years ago, competed locally, now more in to strongman, but still love powerlifting. Once I'm down enough weight to compete in a lower weight class, I'll start competing again.
    snf_05, good luck on the final prep for the contest.
    hey mark! good to see you're building this sport (strongman) in your area. it's not real big in ours but it is expanding little by little. powerlifting is pretty big though. i'd love to see a strongman competition in person! i was hooked at the first powerlifting contest as a spectator. i was there supporting our strength team and fell in love with it. many think they are boring but i couldn't get enough. i busted *kitten* and competed at the next one along with my 12 yr son. made my husband proud! our next one is in Dec and all 3 of us will be on stage that day...i can't wait!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Have been involved with both. Have trained as a powerlifter and a bodybuilder. Have also trained bodybuilders for shows, powerlifters, athletes, etc. Was also a pro wrestler for 7 years. I'm also 42.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Another wrestler! I grew up in an Indy family (my aunt and uncle owned one in Tulsa when I was a kid.) and worked in the business for 13 years. I loved wrestling and truly learned my love of the gym from the guys I worked with. I'm all about lifting heavy and building strength. I haven't really followed bodybuilding since I left Charlotte 3 years ago because I live in the middle of nowhere now where it's not as big. I would love to get back into it though, when I finish my time back in school.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Another wrestler! I grew up in an Indy family (my aunt and uncle owned one in Tulsa when I was a kid.) and worked in the business for 13 years. I loved wrestling and truly learned my love of the gym from the guys I worked with. I'm all about lifting heavy and building strength. I haven't really followed bodybuilding since I left Charlotte 3 years ago because I live in the middle of nowhere now where it's not as big. I would love to get back into it though, when I finish my time back in school.

I was trained by Al Snow's school and worked on shows with guys like Superfly Jimmy Snuka, Wildfire Tommy Rich, The Bushwackers, The Public Enemy, etc.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

I was trained by Al Snow's school and worked on shows with guys like Superfly Jimmy Snuka, Wildfire Tommy Rich, The Bushwackers, The Public Enemy, etc.

Cool! I worked with Tommy some when I moved to Georgia. I grew up working with Sting, Shawn Michaels, Ted Dibiase, Terry Taylor, the Steiners, etc. back before they were stars when they were working Mid South/UWF.