So I finally kicked the diet soda habit... Need help

Options

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'd like to offer up a humble observation for you (and I say this with all kindness, because I've been there!): This diet soda "habit" that you think you've kicked? You actually haven't. If you are this desperate to find something to satisfy some kind of "drink craving" that appears to be plaguing you (otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread), then you still are practicing the habit. All you're doing is substituting different substances for your former drink.

It's the same thing as the folks who give up desserts and then search and search for low-cal substitutes like fat-free frozen yogurt, etc. It's not just the food you're looking to get the 'hit' from, it's the behavior. What many people don't realize is that Behaviors can be even bigger habits/addictions than food! What ends up happening to most folks who try to substitute stuff for their former habitual (read: trigger) foods and drinks, is they end up going back to the original food or drink and getting hooked on it worse than before. It's because these "substitute" foods and behaviors leave them wanting, compared to their old stuff. Eventually, they cave to the craving because of the pressure of hanging on by their fingernails.

My suggestion would be to first learn to let go of "having to have" something besides water to drink. Purge and cleanse your body ENTIRELY with water for a couple weeks. Learn to stop "needing" something to "satisfy" you. Let your mind relax and let go - stop feeding the mental/emotional cravings for awhile. Detox. Let the cravings subside. You just might find out you really don't need other types of juices and stuff to satiate you anymore. :)

I will humbly offer that I think much of this comment is a crock. A person isn't addicted just because he or she likes some flavor in a beverage. You don't need flavor to survive, but it's hardly a personality flaw or addiction to want some. He probably would be better off with just getting used to drinking some more water and it may take some time to get used to doing so, but I wouldn't call that 'detoxing' or even suggest it has to be all or nothing. Whenever I hear 'detox' my BS detectors go off. Pretty much every detox program is just someone's get rich scheme. There are some real ways to get rid of toxic substances from a body. Iodine tablets can help remove radioactive elements in the same column of the periodic table. If you somehow have the right info on food sources you could perhaps consume less PCBs, mercury or arsenic and your body burden of those would decline over time, but those activities are from what most people claim as a detox. Soaking cucumbers in some water or drinking the juice of the latest strange fruit doesn't detox anything. I have also never heard of anyone succeed in long term weight loss via some week or two long detox program.

If the OP is really having some severe cravings for sweet things, then the first logical place to look for issues is whether he/she is overdoing the calorie cutting, especially the reduction in carbs/fats. Consuming too few carbs/fats can really amp up cravings.

And I will humbly offer that you're more than welcome to offer your opinion that my opinion is a crock. ;) However, I'm offering some solid advice here, which applies to many people, whether or not it actually relates to the OP. I'm throwing it out there in case something resonates w/the OP (or someone else who might identify). And I'll leave that to the OP to decide for him/herself on that score.

That being said, I want to clarify several misrepresentations you've offered up:

1.) I never said this person had personality flaws. To be honest, I'm actually a little offended you suggested this!

2.) I did not make some radical suggestion for this person to join some kind of get-rich-scheme/detox program. I simply suggested they try drinking only water and go without other types of flavored bevs for awhile, lol. No "BS" here, no cucumbers soaked in water (where'd *that* come from? lol - did you think I meant only drink water and don't eat anything, perhaps? If so, please read my post again, I never said anything of the sort). Mine was just a simple suggestion that has worked for who knows how many people.

3.) I used the word "detox" as nothing but a simple, descriptive word meaning, "to get some distance" from the behavior of "needing" a a substitute for a thing that was obviously a crutch to them at one time. They wouldn't be proud of "kicking the habit" if they didn't consider soda a "problem" - thus, my warning to be careful of substituting other beverages for that problem beverage. I have counseled countless people about this very issue - this is why I'm sensitive to it.

4.) I never suggested drinking water and not other flavored bevs would help this person lose weight. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with losing weight. It has to do with them losing the cravings for drinking soda (and again, I emphasize the behavior over the particular substance/substitute). For many people (myself included), getting some distance from a particular behavior or substance gave us clarity of mind and got us to stop "needing" that behavior or substance. I'm just saying that if this is what the OP is actually struggling with, then it would be a good idea to just go for the water for awhile and give it a try.

All that being said - If I am completely off base with this particular person, I don't mind. It's worth suggesting in case I'm right because it could spare them some trouble in the future. Or someone else who reads this thread and identifies with it. For every guy like yourself who thinks I'm full of it, I get 10 private emails saying, "you were spot on and I have this problem". So, I'm not overly concerned with your opinion, I just want to make sure the OP understands much of what *you* claimed that *I* said was...well....an *actual* crock. ;)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'd like to offer up a humble observation for you (and I say this with all kindness, because I've been there!): This diet soda "habit" that you think you've kicked? You actually haven't. If you are this desperate to find something to satisfy some kind of "drink craving" that appears to be plaguing you (otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread), then you still are practicing the habit. All you're doing is substituting different substances for your former drink.

It's the same thing as the folks who give up desserts and then search and search for low-cal substitutes like fat-free frozen yogurt, etc. It's not just the food you're looking to get the 'hit' from, it's the behavior. What many people don't realize is that Behaviors can be even bigger habits/addictions than food! What ends up happening to most folks who try to substitute stuff for their former habitual (read: trigger) foods and drinks, is they end up going back to the original food or drink and getting hooked on it worse than before. It's because these "substitute" foods and behaviors leave them wanting, compared to their old stuff. Eventually, they cave to the craving because of the pressure of hanging on by their fingernails.

My suggestion would be to first learn to let go of "having to have" something besides water to drink. Purge and cleanse your body ENTIRELY with water for a couple weeks. Learn to stop "needing" something to "satisfy" you. Let your mind relax and let go - stop feeding the mental/emotional cravings for awhile. Detox. Let the cravings subside. You just might find out you really don't need other types of juices and stuff to satiate you anymore. :)

Maybe she is just dehydrated.

This could also be quite true. :) Would be worth drinking lots of water to find out! ;)
  • Nutritionut2013
    Options
    I personally gave up full-sugar soda a few years ago, but I, too, had to give up diet sodas once I heard about the effects certain chemicals and additives had on the bones. Also, the aftertaste of many diet drinks is pretty gross. I do use Purevia/Stevia at home in my coffee or Splenda when I am getting a small coffee. I still drink caffeine, but in controlled amounts.

I would think drinking 100% fruit juice and maybe watering it down would be a good alternative to Gatorade powder. However, I also don't drink fruit juice because of it being concentrated. I believe it is better to eat the fruit and get the fiber than to just drink the juice. Plus, if you drink more than an 8oz/1 cup serving your getting more sugar than you would (even though its from a fruit) if you just ate the fruit. Fructose is still a simple sugar, but when you eat the fruit and get the fiber with it, it slows down absorption time of the sugar in the GI, preventing blood sugar spikes.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

Also, wouldn't cutting caffeine and diet soda in turn help me lose weight?

No, Caffeine is a stimulant and is an ingredient in 90% of the diet pills(waste of money) Diet Pepsi has 0 calories so how could cutting out some that has 0 calories going to help you lose weight?

Bottom line it is Calories in vs Calories out for Weight loss. I have lost quite a bit of weight and never gave up Coffee or diet soda and never plan to.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I drink tea, with milk, coffee, black tea, water with lime juice in and coconut water and wine!. Coconut water does have some sugar in it but I find it very thirst quenching and great after a gym session. I used to love diet coke but hate the taste now! Agree with the poster who said try water for a few weeks and then bring back in some fruit juice diluted and herbal teas….
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Losing the zero calories drink to help lose weight goes with the new studies that drinking diet soda causes our bodies to crave sugar and eat more.... Also the obvious high levels of sodium in each soda thus causing water retention.

:huh: I lost over 50lbs drinking 5-6 cans a day of diet soda a day. Didn't cause me to crave anything, but it did help me cut way back on calories, from regular high calorie drinks I was consuming before I made the switch. I now drink 4-5 cans a day of Coke zero and I'm in maintenance. Still not craving sugar. My profile picture was taken last month, after I had 2 cans of diet soda. Nope, not a lot water retention going on there :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    the obvious high levels of sodium in each soda

lulz
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's a shame I came on here for some advice. I thought this was what a forum was for. Some of you take this opportunity to talk down and belittle people. Most people post on here to get information from folks that have already went through their issue. Not to be ridiculed, etc. FYI for all of you. I lost 106 pounds doing insanity and eating well. I did this while drinking diet soda. However I wanted to get off caffeine as I was drinking way too much diet soda. I was drinking 3-4 24 oz bottles a day with very little water. That's what my original post said. I was trying to quit that due to the levels of caffeine as well as the artificial sweeteners in there. My mother just passed away last year and she was diagnosed with cancer previous. The uncertainty about what these artificial sweeteners cause scares me. The caffeine doesn't scare me as much as the sweeteners. However, drinking calories is not something I want to do.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It's a shame I came on here for some advice. I thought this was what a forum was for. Some of you take this opportunity to talk down and belittle people. Most people post on here to get information from folks that have already went through their issue. Not to be ridiculed, etc. FYI for all of you. I lost 106 pounds doing insanity and eating well. I did this while drinking diet soda. However I wanted to get off caffeine as I was drinking way too much diet soda. I was drinking 3-4 24 oz bottles a day with very little water. That's what my original post said. I was trying to quit that due to the levels of caffeine as well as the artificial sweeteners in there. My mother just passed away last year and she was diagnosed with cancer previous. The uncertainty about what these artificial sweeteners cause scares me. The caffeine doesn't scare me as much as the sweeteners. However, drinking calories is not something I want to do.

Not to belittle people, but to belittle incorrect facts and poor ideas.

Soda has a very small amount of sodium. Cutting out caffeine will have no effect on weight loss (if cutting caffeine has any effect, it will actually be to slow down weight loss). Your mother's cancer was not caused by artificial sweeteners.

Caffeine may actually have some significant protective effects on the heart, BTW.

Avoid them if you want. That's fine. But if you stick around here get used to the fact that false information and opinions that are counter to established science quickly get shot down.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    So are you to say artificial sweeteners do not have any cancer tracing items in them? If so, there is research to show both sides.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So are you to say artificial sweeteners do not have any cancer tracing items in them? If so, there is research to show both sides.

I have not seen any research showing that any particular artificial sweetener is a causative factor in cancer. If you have such information, please post it here.

Also be aware that various artificial sweeteners are extremely different chemically.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Didn't aspartame and nutrasweet get harnessed with causing cancer in lab rats? Again if I'm wrong I'll be very happy that I can drink some diet soda and not sweat it
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Didn't aspartame and nutrasweet get harnessed with causing cancer in lab rats? Again if I'm wrong I'll be very happy that I can drink some diet soda and not sweat it

1) Rats aren't humans.
    2) Those rats are specifically designed to develop cancer at very high rates. Think about that for a minute.
    3) Those rats only form cancer at rates significantly different from control at doses of aspartame that are equivalent to hundreds of liters of diet soda a day. There are thousands of chemicals you consume every day that cause cancer in such rats at such high dosages.

Aspartame is one of the most studied chemical compounds in the history of mankind. It has yet to be linked to any undesirable health outcome, except in people with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (a disease involving the inability to metabolize phenylalanine, a naturally-occurring essential amino acid that happens to be present in aspartame.)
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Does the same apply to the Splenda study this summer that moved it to a caustic substance because it caused leukemia in male rats?
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    OP: Why not switch to seltzer water? It's great for when you want a fizz but don't want to grab a soda.

I think it's awesome that you kicked the soda habit. Keep it up! :smile:
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Hello,
    I just want to say thanks to the person who made the above statements. I am personally struggling with behaviors where my eating habits are concerned, and this was a great post for my benefit. Good luck to everyone, as we have to follow our own individual, healthy weight loss programs to reach our goals.

lockmand
    donna 155
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Does the same apply to the Splenda study this summer that moved it to a caustic substance because it caused leukemia in male rats?

No idea what "moved it to a caustic substance" means. Not sure you know what it means either, because it makes no sense.

Can you link to the study in question?
  • zodiac58
    zodiac58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I (mostly) stopped drinking soda I switched to the flavored powders in bottles of water. I normally buy store brands which cost significantly less than brands like Crystal Light. Also I usually make them go further by getting two bottles of water from each packet. Probably not as healthy as plain old water but certainly cheaper and healthier than soda. Now I find most soda to be sickeningly sweet to the point of unpleasantness.

One thing I've noticed: For me, dehydration is kind of insidious. If I notice I'm feeling generally tired or headachy or crappy in some way, it's often because I haven't had enough fluids. My default response is to drink a couple glasses of water and that usually makes me feel better. Funny how sometimes the simplest answer is the best :)
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Here is your link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/splenda-health-risks-cspi-leukemia-artificial-sweeteners_n_3431024.html

And I truly do not understand why you are taking jabs at me saying I don't understand things.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here is your link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/splenda-health-risks-cspi-leukemia-artificial-sweeteners_n_3431024.html

And I truly do not understand why you are taking jabs at me saying I don't understand things.

FYI, a link to the Huffington Post is not a link to a research study. The Huffington post talks about an unpublished study referenced by a "watchdog" group with questionable motivations.

Wait til it's published in a peer-reviewed journal and we can see the actual data before drawing any conclusions.