What is your resting heart rate?

Replies

• Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    When are you supposed to calculate your resting heart rate? Just did mine and it was 87 which sounds way too high based on this thread. I'm 24, 140lbs and 5'8" also have recently finished insanity so would say I'm relatively fit. Have I measured it wrong?!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    When are you supposed to calculate your resting heart rate? Just did mine and it was 87 which sounds way too high based on this thread. I'm 24, 140lbs and 5'8" also have recently finished insanity so would say I'm relatively fit. Have I measured it wrong?!
    Wake up, and before you get out of bed, take pulse, it's as simple as that.
  • Veganhclf
    Veganhclf Posts: 24 Member
    Mine is around 37. A low heart rate is usually not a problem unless your really overweight and your conditioning sucks, then it could be a problem. But if your HR is low and your conditioning is good then it's no problem at all.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    My son bought me a HRM for my birthday, until then I had no idea! My resting heart rate is 49, when I'm running (enough to make me breathless and want to slow down) it's about 160. My running easy heart rate is about 140. I'm interested to see if it changes over time with more exercise.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    75 at this moment according to the app on my phone. Sounds about right. I always have had a bit higher HR but very low BP. While I'm in decent shape, I have terrible cardio. Need to work on that!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Over the last few months I've been briskly walk everyday and it has been hovering around 53 - 58. Before my daily walks it was in the upper 60's. When I started working out it was around 95!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    At true rest (lying down in bed, just after waking) mine has been as low as 55 but tends to be more in the 60-65 bpm range.

When exercising, if I'm doing something really intense like running, it can get as high as 170.

At my heaviest, resting was 70+, high intensity was 180+.

You'll burn less calories with a lower heart rate - it's not by a huge margin but something to consider if you eat back your exercise calories.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Mine ranges from 45-55.
    I was getting quite scared until someone told me that it means I am in really good shape and my heart doesn't have to work as hard as it did before (down 75lbs in 2 yrs and down 9 sizes)

However when I work out my hear rate goes way up into the 170-180's range and now I get winded quite quickly.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Mine is somewhere in the 45-48 range. Like the OP, the doctors aren't worried. I run, which explains it.

I read somewhere that Lance Armstrong, at the peak of his training and fitness, had a resting heart rate in the mid 30's. Chemically enhanced or not, that's ridiculous.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    My resting rate is between 39 and 48 BPM. It's a little bit of a false positive since I have always had a low resting rate and low blood pressure (thank you mom & day :)

My max rate is around 180 BPM with my lactate threshold at 147 BPM. When I run, my heart rate is generally between 155 and 165 BPM. I am working on keeping my pace closer to my lactate threshold so I can increase my distance and time. It is a constant struggle to learn pace and the balance between pushing enough but not too hard. 2013 has been my only successful running year though because I use my HRM to keep my pace somewhat in check. Now if I could only learn to be better with my pacing during races where I struggle to ever have my HR under 160 BPM.
  • Last time I tried to give blood it was in the 50s and that required the charge nurse to come over and OK me to donate but she said as long as the low rate was exercise related, it wasn't a concern.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Feel lucky. My resting heart rate is usually around 110, and when I even start working out at all it'll shoot up to 200 easily. It kind of freaks me out and my cardiologist tells me to only do exercises that don't get my heart working too hard. I just love getting moving though. I have a very low blood pressure though so it's a fine line to exercise, but not end up on the floor unconscious.

I hear you on the low blood pressure part. My BP is generally 90/53.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Right this second around 72 - 75ish but this probably isn't accurate as I have been busy doing things. Last time I checked my RHR I was heaver and certainly less fit and it was around 68 if I recall. Pretty average but at over 400 pounds I'll take it. I am certain that after 20 minutes of kettlebell circuits that at least triples. My poor heart.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Resting is 60 bpm and running is 180-190 bpm but I have irregular heart beats and I take medicine for it. Weird I thought mine was a bit high but after reading through all these I guess I'm pretty normal after all :bigsmile: I do know my cardiologist recommended working out, working out, oh and working out and that my condition would eventually improve on its own.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Mine is in the 40s...but I am able to get it up pretty high, when I do martial arts 2 minute drills it gets the highest ever....170s or so. :-)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Feel lucky. My resting heart rate is usually around 110, and when I even start working out at all it'll shoot up to 200 easily. It kind of freaks me out and my cardiologist tells me to only do exercises that don't get my heart working too hard. I just love getting moving though. I have a very low blood pressure though so it's a fine line to exercise, but not end up on the floor unconscious.

I hear you on the low blood pressure part. My BP is generally 90/53.

Mine, also. Heart rate is around 85-90, but blood pressure runs low, temp also runs low. When I'm on the elliptical, it only takes about 5 minutes before my HR is at 180-185.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    My resting heart rate is in the upper 50's. When running I average 165. If I push hard, I can get above 180 butt can't sustain it there. I have been exercising with a HRM for more than 5 years. 5 years ago, I was able to get into the 190's with intense exercise but now I can't. Not sure if it is increased fitness or age or a combination.

I have seen my RHR and recovery time come down as I increase fitness.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Mine stays mostly in 50-80 range on my beta blocker bp pill so that really does the lowering but also makes it harder for mine to get higher which I know can be trouble when training. Before when I was on ACE inhibitor for it I'd be having resting hr near 110 even 120. Plus palpitations and anxiety and panic attacks associated with the bp and hr changes. It was a scary time. Cardiologist found everything to be normal. Had a holter for 24 hours which showed nothing major or of concern. The echo and stress test plus stress echo(afterwards) was all normal. I almost cried he said its good news I think I freaked him out.

Once when I had taken a niacin supplement that was not flush free I had a major flush over my entire body(felt like I was on fire EVERYWHERE or had a bad burn all over) I started to feel faint and took bp and machine read mine at 38 I believe it was. Freakish low for me.

I'm on a beta blocker too… propranonol… and my RHR is still high :( Usually in the 90s or around 100. When I'm anxious/panicking, it's usually 110-130!!! My cardiologist is making me wear a heart monitor for 30 days to see what's going on.