STARVATION MODE

Options
Alright, I need some answers on this "starvation mode" thing. I keep reading about it, but not sure I'm buying it. I started March 21 and have only lost 4 lbs. I have been stuck at 149.5# for about two weeks now. I have been sticking around 1200-1300 calories per day and exercising both cardio and strength training 5-6 days per week. My husband says my calories are too low and that my metabolism has slowed down because I am eating too few calories (starvation mode). I have read that alot on this site, but I am afraid to eat any more than what the computer set me at (1200 calories). Plus, I'm almost 41 so I'm sure my metabolism has slowed down anyway. What do you guys think? I'm starting to get frustrated!!
P.S. I have gone down one size so I know I'm losing inches, but not weight. I don't get it. THANKS!

Replies

• mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    Alright, I need some answers on this "starvation mode" thing. I keep reading about it, but not sure I'm buying it. I started March 21 and have only lost 4 lbs. I have been stuck at 149.5# for about two weeks now. I have been sticking around 1200-1300 calories per day and exercising both cardio and strength training 5-6 days per week. My husband says my calories are too low and that my metabolism has slowed down because I am eating too few calories (starvation mode). I have read that alot on this site, but I am afraid to eat any more than what the computer set me at (1200 calories). Plus, I'm almost 41 so I'm sure my metabolism has slowed down anyway. What do you guys think? I'm starting to get frustrated!!
    P.S. I have gone down one size so I know I'm losing inches, but not weight. I don't get it. THANKS!
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    Try eating your exercise calories every other day to recharge your metabolism. Plus make sure you get enough sleep!!!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Try reading this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

There are 4 places on this post for you to read. It is great!!!
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I have been stuck recently also and my wife keeps telling me i am lifting weights too much which is preventing weight loss.

I have changed a few things up in my workout and diet to spark some change. Up the intensity on workouts by shortening the rest time between sets. Reduce carb calories and replace with protein

Also measure your body because while not losing weight you may be losing inches
  • desertyogi
    Options
    yes I was totally baffled when my goal came out to 1600 calories a day, Im like uh, is that healthy? But then as I understand it, its calculated by projecting the exercise you plan to be doing and you need to eat your goal calories and the calories you burn thru exercise. I hope so anyhow!:huh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot on the subject, and there are those that seem to think starvation mode does not exist. I believe it does, and believe that I was in it for quite some time.

Here's my opinion, based on research and personal experience.

1. The less weight that you have to lose, the smaller your calorie deficit should be. If you're already restricting 500 calories from maintenance, than exercising on top of that (and not eating back the exercise calories) this puts you at a huge deficit. Your body goes into a famine state, and concentrates on keeping you alive. It is very good at this. This means that it will hold onto fat (which it sees as famine-ready energy stores) and start to utilize muscle tissue for energy. This is bad.

2. The less weight you have to lose, the slower you should lose it. It's not uncommon for people who are morbidly obese to lose huge numbers very quickly. This is not the case with people who have less to lose. A smaller weight loss per week goal may net you better results.

3. One of the primary symptoms of starvation mode is lack of appetite. If you're currently struggling to eat your calories, are turned off by food, or simply not hungry, the odds are that your body has entered this mode.

When I started here, I was injesting around 700-800 net calories a day, and had been for a while. I wasn't losing weight, had no energy and my skin, hair and nails were in terrible shape. By following the site recommendations, being honest with my rate of exertion on exercise, I have lost the last 20 pounds and met my goal weight. The last five pounds have come off since I switched to MAINTENANCE calories here on the site, and I'm currently considering upping the amount of calories I eat in a day.

Sorry, that was lengthy. Here's the short answer: EAT. The system here does work. If you're exercising, eat all or most of your calories back. If you're concerned about the number of calories you actually burn during exercise, invest in a HRM. I'm convinced that purchase has allowed me to lose my last five pounds.
  • desertyogi
    Options
    That is an awesome explaination Vivi, thanks I think that will help me alot:bigsmile:
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yeah because i have been doin this for over 3 weeks and only lost 5 pounds which i think is water weight but i have noticed and my fiance has noticed that my stomach and legs are getting smaller or more toned:smokin:
  • SandraDee651
    Options
    Vivi, excellent explanation. Sometimes lengthy is better. You had to go that route in order to "sale" the facts. Here's my story:

I started Weight Watchers January 2nd. I only lost 4lbs from January to April 3rd (basically yoyoing in the 4 months). I entered the Central Valley Greatest Losers Competition on April 5th. They told me about this web site. I've sinced lost another 2.8 lbs (1.6lbs by April 12th and another 1.2lbs just this weekend, why? Because I started EATING. Weight Watchers works, don't get me wrong. But, they forgot to tell me to EAT. I ate my points, sometimes I struggled. As you explained Vivi, this was a sympton that my body was starving. Why? Because I worked out at least 3-5 days a week averaging 300-350 calories burned each work out since January. I failed to replenish those calories with food. Now, I have been "replenishing" when I work out. Now, I'm seeing a constant drop. I'm going in my 3rd week with this EAT theory.

SandraDee
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    yeah because i have been doin this for over 3 weeks and only lost 5 pounds which i think is water weight but i have noticed and my fiance has noticed that my stomach and legs are getting smaller or more toned:smokin:

Natashav - You've said a couple of different times that you think the 5 lbs is "only water weight". How do you know that?? If it is staying off then it is a loss and should be counted as such. 5lbs in 3 weeks is great progress along with the physical changes you are seeing. Good Job!!
  • mickie
    Options
    Thanks for the great explanation! I forgot to mention that I HAVE been eating my excercise calories (usually 200-400 depending on the workout). So, basically I'm eating 1,200 + my exercise calories. Should I still up my calories? THANKS AGAIN!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is better than losing weight b/c that means that you are toning up and becoming more sculpted! You will love the way those beautiful, toned muscles look in your tank tops, shorts, and bathing suits this summer!!! Great job! :flowerforyou:

I would focus more on how you feel in your clothes and the smaller sizes you are buying than what the scale is saying. (I know that's easier said than done)
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you mickiedawn. I have been yo-yoing between 160 and 158 for weeks now and can't seem to lose any more weight. What's even worse is that I don't see any difference in my measurements either!! I am getting very discouraged and don't know what to do. I thought that I was eating too much by eating the calories that I burned from exercising, so then I tried just eating the calories (1200) that the site set for me including exercising but I started gaining weight!! HELP!!! I have increased my workouts thinking I just hit a plateau....but can you hit a plateau after only losing 4 lbs!?! Is all of this because I am in starvation mode?
  • MontanaGirl
    Options
    mikiedawn - when you set your profile, etc., up here what did you put in for your activity level? Was it accurate? Also - 1200 calories is pretty low for anyone. Did you put that you wanted to lose 2 lb per week? or 1 lb per week? If you have less weight to lose - than someone like me who is considered obese - you need to expect slower weight loss - 2 lbs per week would be too aggressive and may put you into starvation mode. Do you know what your BMR is? You can calculate it under the "Tools" section here. You should at least be eating that many calories. Maybe if you can answer some of these questions, I may be able to help you tweak a little since apparently Banks isn't around . . . :laugh:
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    I had been at a plateau for about 3 months. Finally, it has ended. Now the weight is droppin goff pretty quickly. 7 pounds in 2 weeks. I thought it was an error but a second scale agreed. So just keep at it. It will happen
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You should definitely eat what this website recommends. It takes your weight, goals, exercise, and then tells you how much to eat! It couldn't be easier. It also takes into consideration your age, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm sorry you aren't seeing the results you wanted, but I celebrate your 4 lbs! :happy:
  • mickie
    Options
    mikiedawn - when you set your profile, etc., up here what did you put in for your activity level? Was it accurate? Also - 1200 calories is pretty low for anyone. Did you put that you wanted to lose 2 lb per week? or 1 lb per week? If you have less weight to lose - than someone like me who is considered obese - you need to expect slower weight loss - 2 lbs per week would be too aggressive and may put you into starvation mode. Do you know what your BMR is? You can calculate it under the "Tools" section here. You should at least be eating that many calories. Maybe if you can answer some of these questions, I may be able to help you tweak a little since apparently Banks isn't around . . . :laugh:
    I actually found something from BANKS from the above link. In my initial profile I put in that I am active during the day. I thought I was supposed to count my exercise. According to Banks, Since I sit all day, I should have entered "light activity". It will then calculate my calories. My cardio/strength training exercise goes in my daily journal and then adds those on to my daily calories. I am going to go back and change myself to "light activity" on my profile and see what the site comes up with. Also, my BRM shows my calories at 1350. With all of your great information I will give it my best shot!!! THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE! YOU HAVE ALL BEEN A GREAT HELP!!!:bigsmile:
  • mickie
    Options
    Try reading this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

There are 4 places on this post for you to read. It is great!!!
    I FOUND SOME GREAT INFORMATION I DID NOT KNOW!!! THANKS FOR THE POSTS!!!:bigsmile:
  • MontanaGirl
    Options
    Also, you may want to make sure you put in to lose 1 lb per week. A few people on here had put 2 lbs per week and didn't get anywhere, when the changed it to 1 lb per week they started losing 2+ lbs per week. Just a thought - let us know how it works out for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Morningflower
    Options
    I don't think I believe in the "Starvation Mode" - Actually - strike that - I do not believe in it for a second - here is why, I started out at 200 lbs - lost 56 and tried to follow the recommended calories for the day - and even made for the defecit after a workout and have regained 20 pounds. I had been fairly active but like everyone else - my weakness is chocolate and anything remotely related to chocolate and that was a contributing factor as well.

I have started out once more by working out everday for 30 minutes and sticking to my 1200 recommended limit. I just don't believe in it eating more to recoup my 30 minutes of sweat and tears - but again..that's just me...I have been reading most of the post in support of the Starvation Mode and most of them seem to make alot of scientific/logical sense - Anyway, its a struggle - All the best!

p/s - I threw away my scale and have no clue how much weight I have lost (if any) all I know is that my belly is up from knees and up to my lap:happy: My bat wings are not as bad and I feel good.. overall :tongue: