How can I gain some will power?

Options
The hardest part for me isn't getting up and exercising, but not binging on unhealthy foods. I can't get myself to eat healthy or to keep my calories down. I'll do really good all day then I'll get a craving or I'll find something to snack on towards the end and I don't have the will power to stop myself. What do you guys do when you want to cave into unhealthy eating habits?

Replies

• jasonr1009
    jasonr1009 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    ive noticed logging everything helps me. when i see that number reach my caloric limit intake for the day, im DONE.

If i dont log, it doesnt affect me at all and Ill eat the fridge :-p
  • Barro627
    Barro627 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Imagineering....it redirects your "will" into a heatlthy "Power" that you will learn to crave far more than any fat producing food.

Also Google " Eat Fast and Live Longer" with Dr. Michael Mosley. The benefits of intermittent fasting will blow you away.
    A year ago I had afib was over weight with high BP. Six months later I was 27 lbs lighter with a BP of 120/80. All vitals were normal.
    All the best and remember...you can do anything for 24 hours :)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    By stopping telling yourself you haven't got any will power!
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have issues with night time binging. I have a few tactics which help:

1. I don't keep any foods I'm tempted to eat too much of in the pantry (sugary cereals, bread, ice cream, regular chocolate, etc.). If I want dessert, I eat a square of extra dark chocolate, an apple, or a couple of figs, etc. They satisfy my sweet tooth without me getting that, "oh my god I want a gallon of this" feeling. If I want one of those binge-inducing foods, I eat one serving and I eat it out somewhere. Example: if you want an ice cream, plan it, track it, go out to an ice cream parlor and have one small ice cream. It's way easier (for me) to do that than to keep a pint in the fridge and make it last for a couple of weeks rather than eating it all in one go.

2. If I'm really struggling or if there's something in the house that I'm tempted to eat too much of, I leave for a bit. I go to Starbucks to read, take a walk, make a quick trip to the store to pick up whatever is on the list, etc. It doesn't have to be long - just enough time to remind myself that it's silly to set my progress back a couple of days' hard work for something I don't need and will regret immediately after. It's a lot easier to remember that when cookies aren't staring me down, just begging to be eaten.

3. I find someone to keep me accountable. I live with my boyfriend, so generally he's the one around when I feel like overeating (since I only feel that way at night). I just go hang out with him for the half hour or so it takes for the feeling to pass.

4. I drink (unsweetened) hot tea. I'm not sure why, but it really helps. I have all sorts of tea, but if it's night and I'm feeling like eating snacks that will push me over my calorie limit, my best bet is chamomile. Maybe it's because most of the sweets I like wouldn't taste good with hot tea, or maybe it's just psychological, but it tends to kill my appetite. Also, with chamomile there's the added benefit that it helps make one sleepy.

Those are the main ones. Sorry I've written a book here. This is one of my biggest diet struggles.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to eat "healthy" foods.
    If you are getting cravings it may be that you aren't eating enough of the right things, or you calorie goal is too low/restricted.
  • Veganhclf
    Veganhclf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Binge on healthy foods like fruits and stuff, avoid nuts. Gaining weight due to to much fruit is impossible unless you eat a bunch of other **** on the side like meat and high fat foods. For the best overall health and weight loss go vegan and stick to a high carb low fat and low protein diet and I can guarantee that you will drop in weight without calorie restricting, just make sure you limit your fat, sodium and protein in take. Protein is so overrated. I'm a cyclist and i should be deficient in protein because I try not to eat so much protein bu I'm not, I feel great. Carb the **** up. If you stay carbed up you're metabolism will be jacked up and you'll have more energy to exercise.
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting your temptations out of the house. OUT! Until you are able to pass it in the store on the shelves and say, "ew, too many calories!", don't bring it home!
  • hkingscott
    hkingscott Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG I am exactly the same! I do so well all day then I mess it all up at night! So frustrating! I just haven't got the will power, it's so upsetting! X I need to sort this out! I'm really going for it Tomorow x
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The worst time I binge is out of fear, I feel like I'm depriving myself, that I'll never get to eat really good food again. That fear can spiral out of control, Step 1 is to yes remove temptation but also find a balance, you need to have a healthy lifestyle change not an diet, diets don't work. ///Say I'm not denying my body what it wants, I'm giving it what it needs.///// Get familiar with real food, there is no bad "real foods", if you remove processed clearly bad for you products from your surroundings and replace them with healthy alternatives, you can start to cleanse your palate, and in that step don't worry if you over eating, you're getting use to change. Then after a while you can start relaxing into the new foods and stop feeling like you are depriving yourself, then control is easier, the stress starts leaving, and you wont feel the constant need to over do it, just realise it is not a battle it is and agreement with your mind and body.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Willpower has to come from within. Often times, weight loss is mostly a mental battle. Also understand there are no unhealthy foods. Unhealthy eating habits I can understand. How you work foods into your diet is what determines healthy/unhealthy, not the individual foods. Plan your day to be sustainable for you. Every day. Linking again because I love it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The biggest "aha!" moment in my weight loss came when I perceived food in terms of nutrient density. I find foods that I love that help me reach my macronutrient goals, then I squeeze in some ice cream or pizza in (and sometimes these things actually aid in this). Perhaps it's not necessarily willpower so much as it is seeing food in a different light.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I go through phases where I eat a lot more in the evenings than I should, it's easily done on long winter nights when it's cold rubbish weather and it's dark so early as I spend more time in front of the tv and tend to always want something to munch on. If you are able to motivate youself to exercise which you say isn't a problem then at least you are being active and offsetting some of it but if you are seriously overeating way above and eating back more than your exercise cals it might help firstly just not to have stuff in the house to snack on because then you don't need willpower, if it isn't there you can't eat it & secondly, I find it helps me personally to force myself to be more active in the evening. I will make myself go for a swim or do a workout DVD or go for a dog walk. I find that the more active I am the less I want to eat calorific treat goods as I feel really positive after exercising and I just don't want to undo the work I just put in by eating cake :-) it also gives me less time to eat anyway as you are busy doing something else.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    you train willpower with progressive overload, the same as any other kind of strength.

you accomplish your goals using the willpower you have by being clever though.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Remove temptation.
    Rephrase the idea of not eating some from I can't to I don't.
    Relax and manage your stress.

Make sure your "willpower" isn't being used for other things like avoiding the hot guy/girl at work, the urge to slap your boss, etc.

Allow yourself smaller controlled treats throughout the day so you don't feel like you are depriving yourself by the end of the day.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When there is "bad" food around, my will power can disappear.

For me the best thing is planning. Do not buy food that you know will be a problem. If you do end up with an open box of chocolates or whatever is a problem for you), just toss the rest of the box out (I have done this twice over Christmas holiday).
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    It is about being disciplined and in control of your body. I am not even sure what will power is.

When I started this journey of a healthier life I thought about will power...I must not have any or I wouldn't have gained all of this weight...I wouldn't have let my fitness become non-existant.

I did however know what discipline is...being in control...being in charge...so I used those to start me on this new phase of my life.

Maybe you see it as you vs food. I did for a long time...now food has nothing to do with it...it is all about me being in control.

Think about it this way...

Food either lives in a box...a bag...on the counter...in a pantry or in a refrigerator. It has no ability to leave those places without your help. It only gets eaten if you make the choice to eat it...it does not have the power to force you to.

I love Goldfish and Reduced Fat Cheez-its. I love them so much that I even worked them in as a snack...measured them out in to little baggies. Then one day I measure some Goldfish out...weighed them...calculated the calories...and thought REALLY??? This little dab for that many calories??? I went ahead and ate them...logged them...and said REALLY??? I could have eaten a whole meal for what was in that cup of Goldfish. I took them off my shopping list...looked for smarter alternatives.

Last night I fixed a chef salad...filled with healthy veggies...measured out my dressing and then pulled out the bag of shredded cheddar cheese. Measured out a half serving and thought...REALLY??? For that many calories??? Poured it back into the bag and enjoyed my salad without the cheese. That little dab of cheese would have gotten lost among all the veggies anyway.

My point is...it take discipline...you taking control...you being in charge...you vs the cupcake. Who is in control?

Get your binge food out...put it on the scale...figure the calories. You make the choice if you can work it into you calorie count. You make the choice if you can reach your goals by consuming it. If you can...eat that cupcake...if not...well...you know what to do.

I sometimes shake my head at myself...I can't believe that for so many years...I let the cupcake have more control than I had. The next time that I eat a cupcake it will be because I am in control and I choose to eat that cupcake. Not because some strange thing called "will power" deserted me.

If we can say no to our children...we can say no to the cupcake.

Okay...I got on a tangent...more for myself I suppose...each day I have to remind myself...I am disciplined...in control...and I will take charge.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It is about being disciplined and in control of your body. I am not even sure what will power is.

When I started this journey of a healthier life I thought about will power...I must not have any or I wouldn't have gained all of this weight...I wouldn't have let my fitness become non-existant.

I did however know what discipline is...being in control...being in charge...so I used those to start me on this new phase of my life.

Maybe you see it as you vs food. I did for a long time...now food has nothing to do with it...it is all about me being in control.

Think about it this way...

Food either lives in a box...a bag...on the counter...in a pantry or in a refrigerator. It has no ability to leave those places without your help. It only gets eaten if you make the choice to eat it...it does not have the power to force you to.

I love Goldfish and Reduced Fat Cheez-its. I love them so much that I even worked them in as a snack...measured them out in to little baggies. Then one day I measure some Goldfish out...weighed them...calculated the calories...and thought REALLY??? This little dab for that many calories??? I went ahead and ate them...logged them...and said REALLY??? I could have eaten a whole meal for what was in that cup of Goldfish. I took them off my shopping list...looked for smarter alternatives.

Last night I fixed a chef salad...filled with healthy veggies...measured out my dressing and then pulled out the bag of shredded cheddar cheese. Measured out a half serving and thought...REALLY??? For that many calories??? Poured it back into the bag and enjoyed my salad without the cheese. That little dab of cheese would have gotten lost among all the veggies anyway.

My point is...it take discipline...you taking control...you being in charge...you vs the cupcake. Who is in control?

Get your binge food out...put it on the scale...figure the calories. You make the choice if you can work it into you calorie count. You make the choice if you can reach your goals by consuming it. If you can...eat that cupcake...if not...well...you know what to do.

I sometimes shake my head at myself...I can't believe that for so many years...I let the cupcake have more control than I had. The next time that I eat a cupcake it will be because I am in control and I choose to eat that cupcake. Not because some strange thing called "will power" deserted me.

If we can say no to our children...we can say no to the cupcake.

Okay...I got on a tangent...more for myself I suppose...each day I have to remind myself...I am disciplined...in control...and I will take charge.

love this!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Willpower has to come from within. Often times, weight loss is mostly a mental battle. Also understand there are no unhealthy foods. Unhealthy eating habits I can understand. How you work foods into your diet is what determines healthy/unhealthy, not the individual foods. Plan your day to be sustainable for you. Every day. Linking again because I love it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The biggest "aha!" moment in my weight loss came when I perceived food in terms of nutrient density. I find foods that I love that help me reach my macronutrient goals, then I squeeze in some ice cream or pizza in (and sometimes these things actually aid in this). Perhaps it's not necessarily willpower so much as it is seeing food in a different light.

^^ This is why this smart lady is on my friend list!! Everything she said. It really requires looking at food more as fuel and wanting to reach your goal more than wanting that extra cookie.

Hereis a quote that helped me get that mindset:

The Myth of Motivation - http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

The money quote is "We do not need motivation. We need decision"
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    when you want it bad enough,,, it happens instantly.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Plan and log what you want to eat ahead of time. I find myself less likely to snack (outside of what I log for snacks) during the day/night.. If you're hungry eat.. Also, if you drink water with lemon juice in it (or suck on a lemon) SERIOUSLY kills sweet cravings! lol Over lemoned my first lemon chicken and my face didn't unpucker for 2 weeks! lol Good luck and stay strong! You can do this!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Self-control is like a muscle: the more you use it, the stronger it gets. Start small, build your way up to the healthy habits you want.