My first post - go easy on me - define "heavy lifting"!

Options
So, have been lurking on here for a while now logging calories and exercise. Partly to stop gaining a pound here and there - or at least a bumpy bit on my body here and there I disliked. I'm not overweight and have always been pretty fit cardio wise - marathons, triathlons etc. Injury curtailed those sports and I took up golf 5 years ago and am borderline obsessed (a character trait). Just completed my 2013 training log and swim, bike, run miles all down but golf up (283 rounds)!

So, with an eye on the fact that I don't do enough intensity rather than volume I embarked upon Insanity 6 weeks ago. Immediately loved the feeling that I was working beyond my normal limits and felt more agile and powerful quite quickly. Also started hitting the golf ball further which was an unexpected bonus. I'm already thinking what to do after I complete Insanity and was thinking I'd keep doing the month 2 sessions 3 times a week and then also some more precise resistance training 3 days a week. I have always struggled with weights though as find them boring but also as soon as it hurts I back off which is the opposite to how I work on cardio. I'm 49 though and know (have known for years) that resistance training is hugely important.

So I've read loads on here about lifting and lifting heavy without a real idea as to what defines the latter? I have a small gym at home which is cardio biased but have a flat weights bench and adjustable dumbbells with spare plates...

So (again) can I do a decent lifting programme using what I have at home and if so - what would be a good start point?

Thanks.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes you can accomplish a LOT at home.
    "heavy" is more of a rep range than a certain weight. If you can complete 5-8 of a particular movement that's heavy enough.
    If you like the insanity type work, and lifting has traditionally bored you, you can do your lifting in a circuit fashion, or just only take 60 sec rest between your sets.
    In the most basic form you want a push, pull and squat type move. The simpler the better.
    Push-Flat bench, push ups or over head press
    Pull-Rows & pull ups
    Legs-Squats, lunges or the single leg squat variants, hip thrust/glute bridge.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Check out muscleandstrength.com. They have a full body, dumb bell only program that you can do at home. I wish I were on my computer, I would link it for you. But it is easy to find on there.

Heavy is what is heavy for you. This workout suggests 10-12 reps. If you can do 12 on your first set, then go heavier. I have been following this program solidly for about 5 weeks. I try to use heavy enough to keep in the 6-8 rep range. When i cn go more reps, I increase my weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy is whatever heavy is for you ….if you are are struggling to get up 8 reps of 20# dumbbells than that is heavy for you, while it would not be heavy for me...

basically you should be working in the 5-8 rep range, and the last rep should be difficult to get up …

I would recommend looking into a program of compound lifts…starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great books to get you started….
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Check out muscleandstrength.com. They have a full body, dumb bell only program that you can do at home. I wish I were on my computer, I would link it for you. But it is easy to find on there.

Heavy is what is heavy for you. This workout suggests 10-12 reps. If you can do 12 on your first set, then go heavier. I have been following this program solidly for about 5 weeks. I try to use heavy enough to keep in the 6-8 rep range. When i cn go more reps, I increase my weight.
    Would love to have the link of the program which you are following
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    bumping for the information
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Very useful. Found this workout which may be the dumbbell only one - looks good and fits my schedule:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I would usually do the 12 reps sort of weight so will adjust the weight to make it tougher and 5-8.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

This is the same work out that Amandarunning referenced. I really like this program. It is simple and fits my schedule, but stays challenging enough to keep me interested and motivated.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    In terms of lifting, you are talking about intensity (defined as the percentage of your maximum capacity at which you are training). Lifting focused on building *strength* is high intensity, low volume. 1-6 rep sets are generally considered most conducive to building strength, as opposed to size or muscular endurance. Generally compound barbell lifts are used for these types of training. There is some evidence that the skeletal loading has its own benefits, for women in particular as they are more prone to bone density issues than men.