Late nite calorie catch-up

Options
Ok - so I'm trying to gain a few pounds of muscle while maintaining or losing body fat.

Let's say that I'm short 400-600 calories at the end of the day, and I'm supposed to sleep in an hour, 30 minutes, whatever.

Do I eat to make up the calorie deficit and hit my macros? Someone told me I'm not supposed to eat within 2 hours of sleeping to burn fat while I'm sleeping.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Replies

• anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm eating papaya, cottage cheese, and a PB & j toast right now...
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I deep pop tarts in my casein shake just before snoozing.... still shredded!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Did you work out your maintenance calories? How much deficit or excess are you planning? Would like to hear your plan!
  • anson808
    Options
    Maintenance is around 2400 calories. I've programmed in a 300 calorie excess. I'm rarely hitting it. Apparently one session of vball eats more than a 1000 calories.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Maintenance is around 2400 calories. I've programmed in a 300 calorie excess. I'm rarely hitting it. Apparently one session of vball eats more than a 1000 calories.

Well you're in the right place to keep track of it all. I'd double check those calorie burns too. With a HRM and lots of research. It would be a shame to over bulk and gain fat. I think guys can only gain .5 lb muscle per week at most. It would also be a shame to underfuel and use up hard earned muscle in your cardio workouts. That happened to me. Annoying.

Ps that photo of me was taken at the Mauna Lani in Kona. My bro lives in Hilo!
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For night late stuff go for:

Eggs
    Cottagecheese (or both)
    peanutbutter tbs
    canned tuna in water

no matter WHAT people tell you eating before you sleep is very good. it prevents interrupted sleep / waking you up in the middle of the night and thus promotes a more healthier sleep. also you don't wake up exhausted. i always eat around 30 min before i go to sleep.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Eggs
    Cottagecheese (or both)
    peanutbutter tbs
    canned tuna in water

no matter WHAT people tell you eating before you sleep is very good. it prevents interrupted sleep / waking you up in the middle of the night and thus promotes a more healthier sleep. also you don't wake up exhausted. i always eat around 30 min before i go to sleep.

I agree! Greek yoghurt and berries and honey for me, two omega 3 tabs and a red bush tea and I sleep like a baby.
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Eggs
    Cottagecheese (or both)
    peanutbutter tbs
    canned tuna in water

I agree! Greek yoghurt and berries and honey for me, two omega 3 tabs and a red bush tea and I sleep like a baby.

ah yeah, i forgot about greek yoghurt, it's very nice. though, i would drop the berries and honey. very simple carbs...better to have the greek yoghurt alone! but ah well, if things work for you why not.
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends Cytogainer when I'm bulking and struggling to meet my calories. It tastes and blends well! You can get it at GNC.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, for the stats, you will need in excess of 3500 calories above your RMR to gain a pound. You try to hit that. Have three meals per day as well as two snacks. That will do the trick. All the best and happy new year. Peace.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if your not eating at a surplus you can't gain muslce. so eat the calories.

also, there is no way your actually going to gain muslce AND lose fat simultaneously, especailly if your already in descent shape.

The don't eat before bed time thing is a myth with no scientific support
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    *shakes head* that's weird just lost 65 lbs fat while not losing any muscle (actually gained muscle) by increasing protein while eating at a deficit. Sometime is pays to see a nutritionist and get the real facts.

Carbs 120 a day
    Protein 85+ a day
    Exercise go for endurance (helps build the muscle)

Adjust so that the ratio is the same per your calorie intake and it will build muscle while you lose fat.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    4% Cottage Cheese, FAGE Total Classic (blue label), and raw almonds ... Every night before bed (exceptions of course like tonight NYE, where it's more like Vodka/clubs before bed ... LoL)
  • musetle
    musetle Posts: 70
    Options
    eat the calories, reach your macros.
    time that you eat is completely irrelevant other than maybe taking off some more water weight over the night- why do people keep insisting otherwise?
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    what's red bush tea?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if your not eating at a surplus you can't gain muslce. so eat the calories.

also, there is no way your actually going to gain muslce AND lose fat simultaneously, especailly if your already in descent shape.

The don't eat before bed time thing is a myth with no scientific support

This!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Someone told me I'm not supposed to eat within 2 hours of sleeping to burn fat while I'm sleeping.
    That is complete myth - your calorie balance over the course of the day determines how much fat you gain or lose.
    I would look at my macros (prioritising protein and then fat) and then decide what to eat.

An alternative way is to to look at your calorie balance over the week rather than in 24 hour chunks.
    Apparently one session of vball eats more than a 1000 calories.
    Sounds a lot - is that a two hour session?
  • anson808
    Options
    Yes. Not to mention indoors I am in the middle. I usually jump every play defensively and offensively. I also play back row - so no real rest there.

On the beach - well, you do everything and spring and jump a lot.
  • smand2000
    Options
    A 650+ calorie shake should solve your problem pretty easily. Plain greek yogurt (3/4 cup), protein powder (casein if you are taking it before bed), peanut/almond butter, cup of berries, banana, 2 tablespoons flax or chia seeds, chocolate almond milk. I also added raw cacao, which might have been overkill.