Want to start lifting...

Options
So I am constantly reading about how I should be lifting weights. I am a member of the gym, I do go 2-3 times a week. I do some squats, lunges etc but not with weights, on the odd occasion I will even do some of the resistence machines.

However I am very aware that this is not necessarily going to get me great results. So any help would be appreciated, although keep the weight lifting terminology to a minimum, I know what a rep and a set is but more than that I would be guessing what you mean.

Thank you and happy new year :)

Replies

• Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi, i started with resistance machines but then paid a trainer for 3 sessions to get me started on weights… Progress has been slow but steady and I would really recommend it! Some people here have looked at videos on youtube and just learnt themselves, also with great results…. Good luck..
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hello

If your looking to tighten and tone your muscles and (Other areas) you need to be doing a light weight with lots of reps.

So for an example, if you want to squat for glutes legs and abs, just use the bar - google weightlifting for women to tone and you will be able to watch lots of videos.

you will be able to come up with a routine, but im not a professional, this is just advice of what ive been reading when i started to get into lifting.

Take light weights and do sets of 15+ rest for over a minute in between. and add reps as the weeks go on, you will tone up quick!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you can buy or borrow the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"
    Read it, cover to cover. Twice.

The program is a bit complicated after Stage 1 in my opinion and your gym may not have all of the equipment needed to complete the whole program (mine did not) and it sounds like you don't have the knowledge to properly substitute lifts.

Look into Stronglifts 5x5 (stronglifts.com)
    It's a very simple program.
    5 different lifts.
    You'll be out of the gym in under an hour (including a 10 minute warm up)

Look at youtube and bodybuilding.com for form videos.
    If you can, get a session with a trainer to show you the proper form.
    If you pick stronglifts, make sure that they can show you oly bar lifts.
    If you pick NROLFW, bring the book with you and ask for help on those lifts.

Don't fret if you can't lift the bar, start with a lighter weight and go from there.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hello

If your looking to tighten and tone your muscles and (Other areas) you need to be doing a light weight with lots of reps.

So for an example, if you want to squat for glutes legs and abs, just use the bar - google weightlifting for women to tone and you will be able to watch lots of videos.

you will be able to come up with a routine, but im not a professional, this is just advice of what ive been reading when i started to get into lifting.

Take light weights and do sets of 15+ rest for over a minute in between. and add reps as the weeks go on, you will tone up quick!

NO.
    You are what is wrong with the fitness industry.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

The program is a bit complicated after Stage 1 in my opinion and your gym may not have all of the equipment needed to complete the whole program (mine did not) and it sounds like you don't have the knowledge to properly substitute lifts.

5 different lifts.

Don't fret if you can't lift the bar, start with a lighter weight and go from there.

All this. Starting Strength is a great book/program as well.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just started Body Beast and although its a home workout by nature it comes with an app that lets you do the program at the gym too!
    Its a 90 day program that has a workout calendar and meal plan included.
    Message me if you want more details.

Meggin
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

5 different lifts.

All this. Starting Strength is a great book/program as well.

I waited 8 months too long to get my copy of starting strength, which is ridiculous considering it was a simple kindle download and now it's on my ipad and all my computers.

absolutely start with that book! do not start with a trainer. after teaching yourself the lifts, you'll be working there one day at the gym and a personal trainer will come in with a client. you'll just about poop yourself when you see how truly clueless most of them are.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you might want to look into starting strength or new rules of lifting for woman, both are great books/starting resources..

I would recommend a program of compound lifts - deadliest, squats, rows, overhead press, pull ups/chin ups, bench press - learn these moves and then incorporate them into a routine. Should be working in the 6-8 rep range, with last rep being difficult to get up…as the weights get lighter increase the weight on them…training should be linear in that number of reps and/or weight is always increasing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hello

please don't….
  • meganb2506
    meganb2506 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your info, i am looking in to the starting strength book now
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You're going to get really bulky and look like a man.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

I love bulky womenz.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

I love bulky womenz.

551.jpg
  • eearthwoman
    eearthwoman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these book recommendations. I just reserved this at my library... Watch out 2014! here we go!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

However I am very aware that this is not necessarily going to get me great results.

Bull crap! You can get everything you need from bodyweight alone. If you are not that means you are not doing it right, or are not doing enough. While weights are a great tool; they are by no means necessary. 99% of people have never bothered to try and master their own body weight. You can put your body weight into angles and planes that are harder to duplicate with weights.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

However I am very aware that this is not necessarily going to get me great results.

Bull crap! You can get everything you need from bodyweight alone. If you are not that means you are not doing it right, or are not doing enough. While weights are a great tool; they are by no means necessary. 99% of people have never bothered to try and master their own body weight. You can put your body weight into angles and planes that are harder to duplicate with weights.

Body weight workouts can't replace putting your whole frame under a heavy load and the resulting adaptation. It's also worth pointing out that for most beginners, "bodyweight" is going to be a series of moves heavier or lighter than the correct starting point for progressive overload, with very few being "just right", so you need gear anyway. Also, without carrying a load, it's impossible to train certain kinetic chains, for instance one starting at your feet and going through your hands (overhead press). Yeah, you can do handstand push-ups and work some of the same muscles, but you won't be developing the same reciprocal strength.

Using body weight and TRX, I was making good upper body progress, but stuck in no mans land with lower body. Pistols were too hard, jumping squats weren't getting results, and I couldn't tell if I was even slowly improving. That's when I got my copy of starting strength, and although my squat is still very weak for a man, it's now steadily going up, and I feel just fantastic. Those low bar squats hit areas I just wasn't working effectively with body weight, and they are much safer than plyometrics.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Thank you all for your info, i am looking in to the starting strength book now

Good call!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello

NO! This advice is why I wasted months doing what is essentially light cardio.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hello

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif