Question for "Athletic Build" ladies

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm more fat than athletic at the moment, when i was in shape my body looked very close to the ballerina misty copeland (who doesnt look at all like a ballerina :laugh: )

i'm 5'5 and when i was 125 pounds i was sickly looking to the point where my doctor put me on a weight gain program.

oh and am also pretty solidly built. even when i was at 125, bigger people would run into me, fall and hurt themselves and i barely noticed :laugh: even now at close to 60 pounds overweight, there's not a lot that joggles on me (just belly and boobs)

my goal weight at the moment is 164, which should get me to my size 6 express jeans goal (i'm currently 221 and size 14 express jeans)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 160lbs, size U.S. 8. Goal is 150. I have a decent amount of muscles, big hips, big rib cage, broad shoulders, long limbs, big head, etc.

Also a cubic foot of muscle is heavier than a cubic foot of fat. When someone says "muscle is heavier than fat" usually they mean by volume. Just like someone might say a rock is heavier than a feather.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 160lbs, size U.S. 8. Goal is 150. I have a decent amount of muscles, big hips, big rib cage, broad shoulders, long limbs, big head, etc.

Also a cubic foot of muscle is heavier than a cubic foot of fat. When someone says "muscle is heavier than fat" usually they mean by volume. Just like someone might say a rock is heavier than a feather.

Volume is totally different than weight. A pound equals a pound. Muscle is more dense. Even a pond of rocks weighs the samovars a pound of feathers.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a stocky build, actually quite a small build naturally I think but I've lifted heavy for a few years and have more muscle now than I used to so wouldn't be able to weigh as little as before.

5'8, goal weight is around 140ish. Have been just below 130 before and still had a bit of a belly, but I had hardly any muscle back then even though I was lifting, so feel 140 now would look lean but not just in a "skinny" way.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I like myself around 150.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5". I have decided my current weight, 135, is good, because I had my body fat measured (calipers) and it turns out that it is at 18 percent. So that's how that works out on my frame. At 135, my abs have a little definition (you can see the sides of them clearly, but no sixpack), and my leg muscles are clearly present and accounted for. I wish my arms were just a bit firmer, but you can see muscles there and my collarbone is pretty prominent. I still feel like I have some flab on my stomach, butt, and upper arms. Hope that helps.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 128lbs. Recently added a bit of muscle so about 19/20% bf I think. Want to maintain here. Like my measurements and the way all my clothes fit. 32-25-36. 20" thighs.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and I am athletic, but I don't think I have a "stocky" build. I am actually quite slender with a nice round *kitten*!

I am 5'7", 142 lbs, and easily fit into a size 4. My goal weight is 135lbs, however I am not too concerned about weight, more concerned with body fat%.
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Volume is totally different than weight. A pound equals a pound. Muscle is more dense. Even a pond of rocks weighs the samovars a pound of feathers.
    We all know a pound is a pound, nobody has questioned that. What the OP said was that muscle weighs more than fat, which is accurate. A handful of muscle weighs more than a handful of fat.
  • crystalhoneycutt
    crystalhoneycutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm around 5 foot, 130lbs, and a size 2/4
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It just really depends on you

I'm 5'3 , 140 lbs 16% bodyfat. Size 4, In tops im always an XS but my stats are 34, 26, 40 . People can't believe I weigh 140 they say I look like I'm 120lbs. I'm just toned and fit.
  • teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am athletic and stocky. In highschool, when I was also in ROTC, I was 150lbs and 36"/24"/36". I am 5'5". My LEAN mass is 140 lbs now, so at 20% body fat, that's like 168 lbs. I don't think I'll ever be less than 160 lbs again while lifting. My waist is 12-18" smaller than my booty (depending) and I have very broad shoulders. I'm also around a size 8/10 at 150-160 lbs, and just can't get smaller than that with my hip width.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My first goal would be to reach 175 and go from there - I'm 5'8 and have medium-sized bones thoguh apaprently people tell me I have small hands, if only my feet were smaller...

My legs are pretty heavily muscled naturally, it runs in the family so after I manage to lose a bit more fat I'll see if I'd like to change my goal or not but 175 seems a good number for me at the moment
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Since this is the maintenance thread, I am at my goal weight. I'm 168cm (I think that's about 5'6") and 59kg (130 lbs). I lift weights every second day, alternating between deadlift (245 lbs) and overhead press (75 lbs). My goal has always been to be fit and strong, not skinny.

I have visible abs (thanks to the deadlifting and counting calories) and sculpted arms (thanks to the overhead press), as well as muscular thighs (mainly from cycling). You can see some muscles on me, but I don't look anything like those women in the weightlifting magazines (nor would I want to!). I think I look good in a tank top, but I have to say, if I put on a sleeveless dress, I look like a drag queen! I think as your body changes, you need to change the way you dress, to find things that flatter your new shape. For me, that means if I want to wear something dressy and feminine, it needs sleeves (even if they're just little cap sleeves). But if I'm going out for a bike ride, I don't mind if my muscular shoulders show, and I throw on a tank top instead.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

We all know a pound is a pound, nobody has questioned that. What the OP said was that muscle weighs more than fat, which is accurate. A handful of muscle weighs more than a handful of fat.

It is not accurate unless you specify that the volumes are the same. Period.

This site is the only place where if someone says X weighs more than Y, some people (who have been here and read the arguments over and over) automatically assume you're talking about the same volume of X and Y. Elsewhere, not so much, which is why so many new people are confused when they see these kinds of posts.

The correct terminology is that muscle is more dense than fat. Or, that X volume of muscle weighs more than X volume of fat. Argue all you like, that is a fact.

And before anyone jumps in with "that's just semantics" ... Semantics is everything. Semantics is the meaning of words. If we can't agree on the meaning of the words we're typing, then we can't have a meaningful discussion.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm also 5'4" and very stocky build.

When I was in great shape in college, 150 seemed to be best.

I'm aiming for 165 now, and I'll adjust from there.
  • just35lbstogo
    just35lbstogo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 with a "natural" Athletic/Medium build. Broader shoulders, smaller waist, muscular legs. When I was younger (and not working out) I was 120 and I really just looked too skinny then. I have set my goal weight for 120 but being that I workout more now than I did then I think I will probably adjust my weight up by 5lbs or so once I get a little closer. We'll see... but for now I'm saying 120.
  • tsubaki4
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 121lbs and an athlete. It really depends on you personally but I would say go for 125-130lbs. Also depends on your goals and what feels good on you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It is not accurate unless you specify that the volumes are the same. Period.

This site is the only place where if someone says X weighs more than Y, some people (who have been here and read the arguments over and over) automatically assume you're talking about the same volume of X and Y. Elsewhere, not so much, which is why so many new people are confused when they see these kinds of posts.

The correct terminology is that muscle is more dense than fat. Or, that X volume of muscle weighs more than X volume of fat. Argue all you like, that is a fact.

And before anyone jumps in with "that's just semantics" ... Semantics is everything. Semantics is the meaning of words. If we can't agree on the meaning of the words we're typing, then we can't have a meaningful discussion.

I think I love you.
    my goal weight at the moment is 164, which should get me to my size 6 express jeans goal (i'm currently 221 and size 14 express jeans

That's impressively well evened out then- because I was 165/170 and rocking a size 12 express. now of course none of them fit -and I gave them all away

When I'm low 160's I'm pushing an 8-ish- 6 in certain sizes- but that whole butt/waist issue causes me grief. :( I hate pants.
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", and I've always had a natural athletic build. My GW is approximately 160 lbs. I'm an hourglass, and most of my weight is in my thick thighs, hips, and melon booty. I swear most of my weight is in my melon booty lol. I start to look sick if I go too low.

I can relate to those who have trouble finding pants that fit. I hate shopping for pants! Although, I do burn a lot of calories trying on a cart full of pants. If I can get my thighs in a pair of pants, it's usually way too big in the waist or the waistline is just sitting at midpoint on my booty lol. It looks like I'm sagging. Sometimes I can't even get the pants past my thighs but going a higher size would make the pants way too big at the waist to even take in. I had to learn how to take in pants at the waist. I do love my shape, but it's just a headache when trying on pants.