NEW VEGGIE RECIPES PLEASE!

Options
mshoneysmile7
mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
Hi all!

I am looking for new ways to enjoy the vegetables I make with dinner. Steam vegetable, salt, pepper, repeat.... That's the norm with all of my veggies. Can anyone share any recipes and/or photos of vegetable meals or side dishes they've tried? If anyone knows of any awesome websites that have that information too, I would love to check them out!

Thank you!

Replies

• krista2131
    krista2131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/14-ways-make-veggies-less-boring

This site shows you how to make your vegetables less boring. I usually use Mrs. Dash because it has no salt added, but has a delicious flavor.
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to do steaming only also. Now I'm into roasting.

Butternut Squash - cut into 1" pieces, put in a bowl. Coat with 1 tbl. of veggie oil or olive oil, salt, pepper - then roast at 375 for about an hour.
    Brussels Sprouts & Carrots - stem & half the sprouts, cut carrots into small chunks. Toss with a couple tablespoons Organic Soy Ginger sauce (from Whole Foods - 15 calories/tbl). Roast at 375 for 25 minutes.
    Cauliflower - cut into smallish flowers. Put in bowl. Coat with 1 tbl of olive oil and maybe 2 tbl. of balsamic vinegar. Put on cookie sheet and roast for about 30 minutes.
    Broccoli - same as butternut squash but only for about 20 minutes at 375.
    I use a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil for all.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I made the easiest, most delicious thing ever last night - sauteed kale and mushrooms!

All you need is:

2 tablespoons of coconut oil
    1 bundle of kale (pulled apart or chopped to remove the hard middle part)
    1 container of button mushrooms (rinsed)
    garlic salt and pepper to taste

1) Heat the oil in a large pan
    2) Add mushrooms, stir for 2 minutes.
    3) Add kale, stir until it begins to wilt.
    4) Season with garlic salt and pepper.
    5) Enjoy!

I tend to cook a lot of vegetables this way, but I found mushrooms and kale has been the most delicious combo I've tried yet! Hope you like it. =)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to do steaming only also. Now I'm into roasting.

Butternut Squash - cut into 1" pieces, put in a bowl. Coat with 1 tbl. of veggie oil or olive oil, salt, pepper - then roast at 375 for about an hour.
    Brussels Sprouts & Carrots - stem & half the sprouts, cut carrots into small chunks. Toss with a couple tablespoons Organic Soy Ginger sauce (from Whole Foods - 15 calories/tbl). Roast at 375 for 25 minutes.
    Cauliflower - cut into smallish flowers. Put in bowl. Coat with 1 tbl of olive oil and maybe 2 tbl. of balsamic vinegar. Put on cookie sheet and roast for about 30 minutes.
    Broccoli - same as butternut squash but only for about 20 minutes at 375.
    I use a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil for all.

I love roasted veggies, too - just about any kind! The ones you've mentioned here are all winners, that's for sure. I usually just toss them with EVOO, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika (the magical spice, mmm....) and spread them out on a pan covered in parchment paper. Easy and yummy!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I also recommend trying roasting ...soooooooooo goood!!!

You can roast any veggie - broccoli , cauliflower, beets, carrots, potatoes , sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, squash, eggplant, pumpkin...and so on :) add any spices, garlic, onion , salt toss in olive oil and spread on a baking sheet
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Another roast veg lover here. Some of my favourites hasn't been mentioned yet: asparagus, green beans, snow peas. Spray with olive oil, season with salt and roast 10-12 minutes at 250C. Optional splash of sherry vinegar afterwards.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of roasting veggies too--my dh and kids even enjoy them. Our faves are Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus or sweet potatoes (fresh, not frozen). Just toss with a little olive oil and s&p. A good splash of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze and/or a sprinkling of grated Parmesan right before serving takes the flavor up several more notches. Delicious!
  • Ajm1321
    Options
    1. Take asparagus and toss them in oil and salt and pepper. Then put them in the oven they turn out really good. 2. Take zucchini and cut them into small pieces the "bread" them in cheese. Cook them and enjoy. 3. Make a salad use arugula, radishes, avocado, celery, carrots, hearts of Palm, hard boiled eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, really whatever raw veggies you like. 4. Make broccoli with lemon basil and garlic
    Hope these suggestions help
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Try herbes de Provence when you toss your veggies with EVOO for roasting. You can buy it online for a good price. If you have a wok heat up couple tbs of coconut or canola oil toss in 2 clove minced garlic, some sliced almonds and then your chopped kale. Wilt it down while stirring and then add couple tbs of oyster sauce. That is how they make it at my Whole Foods store.
  • snowdays
    snowdays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Definitely roasting. Also I look for the thin asparagus and you barley need to cook it if at all.

More ideas are:

Raw sugar snap peas
    Sugar snap peas tossed with some sesame oil and sesame seeds (warm slightly if you prefer)
    Roasted green beans with garlic
    Grilled Radicchio with balsamic vinegar
    Spinach wilted in a pan with some garlic and fresh lemon juice
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Vahchef on you tube has some great vegetarian Indian food. Vegetable curries are fabulous. Chana masala is a great favorite at my house. It is chick pea curry. You can order Chana masala spice off the Internet. It is a premixed curry powder.
  • DemySnooze
    Options
    When I want to eat extr clean, I make "pasta" from squash or zuccini:) I also make cauliflower "rice"
    When I first googled "low carb pasta recipes" and came across such recipes I laughed and said no way I am trying these!
    But then a friend of mine cooded some zuccini pasta with tomato sauce for me and I was amazed, so I went and bought tons of squash and culiflower!
    Just google it and you will find many many recipes:)
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    You can make noodle free lasagna by using thin planks of zucchini or eggplant in place of the noodles when you layer your meat sauce and skim ricotta.
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This recipe has become a staple for me! Made it twice since someone on my FB page shared it. Complete meal, and since I am alone, I make it and it lasts a week.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/health/mixed-grains-risotto-with-kale-walnuts-and-black-quinoa.html?_r=0

Same person shared this page, and several of us are planning to try at least some of these recipes:
    http://www.treehugger.com/easy-vegetarian-recipes/10-most-loved-vegetarian-and-vegan-recipes-2013.html

Even though that last one says 'vegetarian' recipes, many of them can work as a side dish!
  • angelmo8
    angelmo8 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I made the easiest, most delicious thing ever last night - sauteed kale and mushrooms!

All you need is:

2 tablespoons of coconut oil
    1 bundle of kale (pulled apart or chopped to remove the hard middle part)
    1 container of button mushrooms (rinsed)
    garlic salt and pepper to taste

1) Heat the oil in a large pan
    2) Add mushrooms, stir for 2 minutes.
    3) Add kale, stir until it begins to wilt.
    4) Season with garlic salt and pepper.
    5) Enjoy!

I tend to cook a lot of vegetables this way, but I found mushrooms and kale has been the most delicious combo I've tried yet! Hope you like it. =)

thanks I will try this
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I second roasting them. It's my new go-to.
  • mshoneysmile7
    mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've NEVER cooked with coconut oil or balsamic vinegar... I will be experimenting soon! Thanks everyone!