Ugh, now I'm all paranoid about gluten

Options
How did this happen?! LOL.

I just read this article about David Perlmutter's recent "Grain Brain" book, which I think as recently been discussed in several posts on here. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/this-is-your-brain-on-gluten/282550/

Even though the article is ultimately skeptical about the author's claim that gluten, carbs, and sugar contribute to Alzheimer's and depression, I sort of can't stop thinking and worrying about it. I feel like after hearing over and over and over again about how bad gluten is, it is finally getting to me?

I've always, always, always believed in a "generally healthy, all-things-in-moderation, eat a wide variety of foods, cook from scratch when you can, there are no good foods or bad foods" approach to eating. That's one reason that MFP is the only fitness forum I've ever been able to tolerate! I think it is mentally healthy to acknowledge that food is about culture, emotion, pleasure, etc. as well as nutrition, and that having a super negative attitude about eating can be just as unhealthy--in terms of mental/emotional health--as eating a "bad diet." Also, I work in a research field and am very touchy about people drawing dramatic, unfounded, sweeping conclusions from narrow scientific studies.

Anyway, even though deep down I'm skeptical of the science and agenda behind all of this anti-gluten stuff, I have to admit that I'm now vaguely paranoid. Alzheimer's runs in my family and I'm already pretty resigned to the fact that it is probably what I'll eventually die of. I try to exercise, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, treat my depression and anxiety issues, and stay mentally active, but that's about all I can do, right?

Or should I actually take this stuff more seriously, and consider cutting down on gluten (which has never, to my knowledge, caused any physical problems), sugar, and carbohydrates? Would I magically stop having depression issues?

This is mostly a rant. I probably just shouldn't read articles like that. There is so much pseudoscience out there it is impossible to determine what is actually worth giving credence to. Sigh. Someone talk some sense back into me?

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    You could try taking it out of your diet for awhile to see if it's beneficial to your health in any way, such as focus, memory, energy, skin conditions, digestion, or anything else.

You could try minimizing gluten in your diet but not going all-out gluten free if that works for you.

You could check out the other alzheimer's culprit from the study, nitrates in preserved meat and beer. And then avoid those. Which can never be a bad thing, as nitrates were already implicated in possible health issues. Cancer, I believe.

You could do what most people do, which is shrug and say something has to kill you. But I never liked this option, personally.

You could talk to your doctor, but that is a gamble. Might be better to find a certified, reputable nutritionist/dietitian up on the latest research.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Would I magically stop having depression issues?

It would be pretty awesome if depression issues could be treated with magic. If you do not have a medical reason to cut the gluten from your intake, there is no reason to do it. Stop. Put on your logical thinking cap.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Gluten causes problems for people who have gluten intolerance, which I think often manifests through GI issues.

I struggle with depression. I do better when I have stable patterns of eating and sleeping. I don't pay a whit of attention to gluten. I don't think that changing your gluten intake would have a significant effect on your depression/anxiety. For me and the way my depression works (which obviously isn't the same for everyone!), restriction of specific things usually makes it worse because I start beating myself over the head when I can't stick with them. That said, the way I eat and the way my moods track are highly related, especially when I'm eating at a deficit, so I take a lot of care with what and when I eat. I can give you more information if you're interested.

I also don't think we have any way to find out if gluten contributes to neurological diseases (I'm a biochem person, not a neuro person, but I quite frankly don't see how gluten would cause neurological problems). There are too many uncontrollable factors, and we haven't identified Alzheimer's for long enough to have really good data on causal factors from something as highly variable as diet, in my opinion.

What you're doing sounds really quite reasonable to me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

It would be pretty awesome if depression issues could be treated with magic. If you do not have a medical reason to cut the gluten from your intake, there is no reason to do it. Stop. Put on your logical thinking cap.

this.

gluten is a PITA is drop. i'm allergic to wheat and HAVE to do it and it's a pain for me even though I directly and quickly have a reaction. i really dont understand why people willingly give it up for sh*ts and giggles, especially since it's in so much more things than you'd think
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know I'm being ridiculous right now. :)

Thanks for talking down my crazy.

I'm just going to assume that I'll die regardless, so, eh.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In the short term, what would you lose by giving it a try? I'm personally more skeptical than not regarding information like this (that one particular food or whatever is so inherently evil and no one has noticed it before except THIS GUY who wants to sell a book...ya know?), but I also recognize that facts have to start somewhere and I try not to completely rule anything out, either. What I'm getting at, is don't get too caught up in the hype, but if it's something that you really think could help you, give it a try. 4 weeks to start, maybe. It may or may not help anything, but, like I said, what do you have to lose?

In the long term...that's trickier. Chances are, whatever it is you eventually die from, you're never going to know if these minor dietary changes could have impacted that. Sure, we know that smoking gives you cancer, and running out into traffic gets you hit by a car, etc. But, say you get Alzheimer's, or some sort of cancer, or have a stroke, or whatever. Are you going to spend the rest of your life wondering if you had just eaten 1/4C of blueberries every day or whatever it is Women's Day magazine is recommending today, you might have died from something different? You acknowledge yourself that there's cultural and emotional factors to food that it isn't healthy to discount (and I agree). If you spend your life NOW getting all worked up about how every little bite may or may not affect you in 40 or 50 years, then that's going against that idea. Not at all to say that we shouldn't care about our overall health and we should just eat straight crap all the time because it tastes good, but it's those minor food choices within the frame of overall balanced eating that can cause you to lose sight of the big picture. Do whatever is going to make you the most mentally healthy/satisfied. If that means eliminating something because you feel better about your chances down the road, do it. If that means enjoying a balanced "everything in moderation" type diet now, do that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If it will ease your mind, try a gluten elimination diet.....but you can't "cut down" on gluten- it doesn't work that way. It's all or nothing, People with gluten sensitivity have to COMPLETELY eliminate gluten, full stop. Cutting down won't help anything. Cut it out completely and see how you feel in two weeks.

But, if that sounds like too much trouble, chances are good that you don't need to do it anyway. The percentage of people that have actual gluten issues is really low. Bread is one of the single most important foods that has allowed human society to prosper- it can't be that evil.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am also paranoid about gluttony. That's why I ate 4 eggs this morning.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

this.

gluten is a PITA is drop. i'm allergic to wheat and HAVE to do it and it's a pain for me even though I directly and quickly have a reaction. i really dont understand why people willingly give it up for sh*ts and giggles, especially since it's in so much more things than you'd think

This

If you don't have a gluten intolerance there's no reason not to have it.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If it will ease your mind, try it for a month. However, it is very difficult. I am allergic but my family isn't. I have to buy all different foods for me, cook separate meals and I can't just go out to eat. You have to ask for a GF menu and then pick something off of it (which usually isn't want you want). It is in more things than you would ever think. I even had to stop using my favorite lotion and chapstick because of it.

Try it is you think it will help, but warning: it is not fun :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I think anything and everything we eat impacts our well being for the better or worse - and I do think Americans eat too much wheat and sugar. Balancing it all out to the right number of calories to eat per day is the key, but for me, the longer I go not eating bread, pasta, rice or potatoes on a regular basis, the better I feel and the more stable my weight is. I included some of those items in my calories while traveling, and it did make me feel "uneasy"...may have just been mental, but heck, that is the main part of the battle, no?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My father is a diagnosed celiac - so he cannot have any gluten, not even trace amounts. Before he was diagnosed, he really struggled with anxiety/depression (also joint pain and eczema). He never had any of the digestive issues that most medical professionals associate with celiac disease.

He's been gluten free for years now and no longer has to take anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications.

There are many things that cause anxiety/depressions, and an intolerance to gluten is just one of many possible factors.

If you're curious about whether gluten might cause you problems, I'd suggest speaking to your doctor. There are blood tests and other tests they can run to see how your body reacts to gluten.

Going 100% gluten free is easier now than it used to be, but it's still a challenging way to live your life. Gluten hides in *everything*- sauces, salad dressings, thickeners, sweeteners, coloring. When you go out to eat, you have to trust kitchen/wait staff to take your disease seriously (they often don't and food is mishandled/cross contaminated). When you go to friends' houses to eat, you either have to bring your own food or make them submit to a full inquisition about ingredients and food preparation. And, yes... there are gluten free breads, pizza crusts, pastas, crackers , etc - they're OK - but never as good as the original. I wouldn't choose to quit gluten unless I really had to.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I understand and I'd suggest taking it out of your diet and see how you feel. I did that for a couple of weeks and then allowed myself to eat something with wheat (gluten) and actually have found that I'm better with a "low gluten" diet (I do not test for the gluten intolerance but my own test suggests a sensitivity). I am less "foggy brained", don't feel as bloated, have more energy, have had most of my sinus issues go away and come to think about it, haven't had a serious bout of depression lately.

Made the same suggestion to my mom and she too sees benefits from avoiding wheat for her. Same type benefits. I've also found some things that have gluten but because of how they are made, they are more gentle on my system. I still eat those in moderation. This would be things like sourdough bread. I think that has to do with the fermenting of the sourdough starter which helps ferment the wheat more.

So again, try it for yourself, see how you feel. And when I say cut it out, I do mean cut it out. No pasta, no bread, read all ingredients because there is hidden wheat too, like in soy sauce and some chips (like Doritos which you'd think were safe because they are "corn", or Pringles because they are supposed to be potato). It's in most Vodkas if you drink, you've got to check out your choice of alcohol, if it's made from grain then the chances are it's made from wheat. Also, if you can avoid it, do not just substitute the "gluten free" things from health markets. They are higher calorie and usually more starchy than the wheat/gluten you are trying to avoid.

If you find benefits but you miss some of your gluten containing foods (I like my pasta and the gluten free stuff doesn't work for me), then find your own level of sensitivity to it and the balance you need to enjoy your gluten containing foods while still avoiding a majority of the gluten. Let's see, oh yeah isn't that the same "Moderation" thing we're trying to learn in our lifestyle changes?
  • thesevolatiletimes
    Options
    Can you possibly link the study that you came across?

I know that a lot of gluten has been demonized, due to the increase in diagnosis (rather due to the increase of cases, or the increase of awareness….) of gluten related disorders. After doing a lot of research about the topic of gluten, i came to personally find that it's not the actual grains that are at fault, and more so the way that they are processed. When you think about it…….it really makes sense. I have the same approach as you to food (that we should not have black and white, good/bad attitudes about food), but at the same time, it's easy to see how our over-consumption of overly processed grains may not be benefitting our health and now causing a few less-than-desirable side effects. Grains hold a lot of nutritional value, but when they are overly processed they lose a lot of that value. So, keep that in mind while you're plowing through research and articles about gluten. People are really quick to demonize gluten, but seem to forget that many people's poor reactions may in fact be due to the over-processing of gluten, and not to the grains themselves.

Now, I suffer from a sensitivity to gluten. so I realize differences in my mood (among other things) when I cut out foods containing gluten. That said, by no means does it cause for my depression to go away, nor does it 'cure' my mood. I still take supplements (like SAMe, B12, Inositol, etc.), do my best to remain active, rely on social support, etc. to treat my symptoms, yet I do still find a bit of a difference when I strictly cut gluten from my diet.

If you're worried about the fact you may have a intolerance/sensitivity to gluten, you can easily get a blood test. Just make sure that you're still consuming gluten when you go for the test, to ensure that you don't get a false negative (which I had happen, heh). If you don't want to do that, an elimination diet (like others have mentioned) could really help! It would just take a lot of education, since living gluten free is REALLY restrictive. I compare being gluten-free to being vegan, in terms of dietary options.

If you don't want to go gluten-free, you do also have the option of purchasing grain products, that are minimally processed. They'll be rather pricy, but just as expensive as gluten-free products. For example: if you want to still purchase bread, you could look into ezekiel bread (if you haven't already). It's actually so minimally processed that I've heard of people with gluten intolerances/sensitivities who can still consume the bread.

I think it's REALLY awesome that you are so critical of research: I get so irked when people are quick to make really fast and illogical conclusions or assumptions about things like food/diet, without any sort of valid or reliable research to back it up. Best of luck finding a solution. :)
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I think it is the genetics and additives in the wheat that are bad for our health. I like eating natural foods rather than processed ones. I like foods without additives. That was my biggest reason for giving up wheat. I did lose weight by doing that, because after all, look at what all you give up! Lasagna noodles, spaghetti, bread, donuts, buns, rolls, muffins, waffles, pancakes, cookies, pies, cakes...the list is endless. Oh, check your canned goods, almost all have wheat, and sugar in them.
    That said, I had spaghetti last night, gluten free Schar brand. It lists ingredients as corn flour, rice flour, pea protein. There have been less genetic changes in those grains and less use of chemicals in growing fields. I do not eat it that often but feel better with the gluten free diet. I had lost a total of 63 lbs, but as you see I gained almost 10 back when I was unable to exercise and ended up nibbling on a few holiday sweets... I like the gluten free way and feel much better. My depression is under control and I think it was a combo of the gluten free and the exercise that I get since committing to weight loss for my health.
    Good luck with your choice on that matter.
    lockmand
    donna 155
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.

Maybe it didn't come across as much as I intended, but my post was mostly facetious. I have no intention of cutting out gluten. :)

Mostly, I was mocking how easy it is for someone like me--with (what I consider) a pretty rational and grounded attitude towards health--to go off the deep end after reading just one article! For years I have rolled my eyes at the "gluten is terrible!!1!!1!!" trend, so it is pretty funny that they finally "got to me."

And of course I realize that people do have serious allergies and intolerances to gluten. That's not what I'm referring to, obviously!

I just think its funny how much "information" there is, and how crazy it can make a person.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    All I know is that When I switched to atkins and cut out all gluten, sugar and all carbs that arent fruits and veggies, I started to feel better and I don't need as high of a dose for my depression meds. For someone like me who is chronically depressed, it has made a big difference. After two weeks I barely crave carbs. When I do crave carbs I eat some sort of nuts or seeds and feel better.

Edit: I have a gluten intolerance

10 signs you are gluten intolerant.

It is also estimated that as much as 15% of the US population is gluten intolerant. Could you be one of them?

If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance:

1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.

2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.

3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.

4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.

5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.

6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.

7. Migraine headaches.

8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.

9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.

10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation.

Here's a quote from the link you provided - “It’s important to realize,” Kresser says, “that just because a low-carb diet can help treat neurological disorders, doesn’t mean the carbs caused the disorder in the first place.”

Now stop being paranoid.
  • FatSLPSally
    Options
    I have been gluten free for about 5 years now. I never had the celiac test because even with decent insurance it was crazy expensive. However, I also have a severe tree nut allergy, and asthma- so I'm a fairly allergic person. I struggled for years with bizarre health problems that no one (I saw MANY specialists) could figure out. It was actually a family member who suggested it could be a food intolerance. A food allergy is like what I have with tree nuts- a severe and nearly immediate, possibly deadly reaction. An intolerance is much harder to detect because it can manifest itself in MANY ways- skin issues, digestive issues, random illness… whatever.

Anyway, I am not a proponent for everyone needs to be gluten free. I think if your body can tolerate it properly, there's not point. Being gluten free is a challenge, not to mention expensive. It changed my life giving it up. I was suddenly mostly healthy and had more energy than I can ever remember having before. But, I don't believe gluten is the root of all the problems that many people have. It's just a lucky few of us.

If you think it could help, cut it out for about 4-6 weeks and see how you feel. That's what I did and it was a HUGE change. I still have anxiety and depression- for which I am medicated. But, I don't think it's as severe as it was before I gave up gluten. It's not a magic cure. But it can really improve your life if it's a true intolerance.

Good luck!
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Try it out. If it works for you, that is all the proof you need. Who cares what a study/test suggest. It's your body, your choice, your adventure in life.