NSV -- Running

Options
wiscck
wiscck Posts: 185 Member
I'm overweight (even after 26 pounds lost) and I have pretty serious asthma. This time last year, I couldn't walk between buildings on my college campus without coughing so hard I threw up. Well, today I ran my first 5K. And I ran every step. In 3* F weather. And I did it in under 42 minutes. I know that's slow, but for me this is such an enormous accomplishment, and I am thrilled with my progress.

Replies

• jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! The thing I love about running is that it's about “beating” yourself, not necessarily others. And you surely did that!! :happy:
  • KingOfTheBurke
    Options
    Being down 26 pounds and able to run a 5k makes 2013 a pretty good year, in my opinion. You have every right to be thrilled-- well done!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight (even after 26 pounds lost) and I have pretty serious asthma. This time last year, I couldn't walk between buildings on my college campus without coughing so hard I threw up. Well, today I ran my first 5K. And I ran every step. In 3* F weather. And I did it in under 42 minutes. I know that's slow, but for me this is such an enormous accomplishment, and I am thrilled with my progress.

Awesome! Its amazing how good exercise can make you feel! And a 5K in 42 minutes? Still much faster than someone who never left the couch.
  • smithed812
    Options
    Congratulations!! The thing I love about running is that it's about “beating” yourself, not necessarily others. And you surely did that!! :happy:

I wholeheartedly agree. Running can be a whole bunch of mind games. Congrats on your accomplishments!! It can only keep getting better from here :)

Also 3 degrees, WOW. Impressive.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    Yay! Good for you!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

You deserve to be thrilled! A truly amazing accomplishment finishing in under 42 minutes while dealing with the cold weather and asthma. Congratulations!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done, very satisfying to complete
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful accomplishment! Not only have you lost weight and increased your glamour girl rating(grin), you have significantly improved your health. Congratulations. Have you noticed fewer asthmatic episodes since your weight loss. I'm an ER nurse and know some asthma sufferers who can't even walk out in the cold air- but you ran . WOW!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    That is ace! Running is not my thing so I have the utmost respect for anyone who can run. :-)
  • Fit2BeFly
    Fit2BeFly Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.. That is wonderful.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • photobadger
    photobadger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's amazing what diligence and time can do for you.
  • Leighthebee1
    Leighthebee1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on completing your 5K! Awesome indeed!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Great job, be proud you deserve it :)
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO!!! Well done :flowerforyou: I did my first 5K at Easter last year and know how much of a boost it is to cross the finish line! Be proud of yourself, like many others have said it's not the time that matters. You are clearly a winner all round. x
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    As a fellow runner --isn't that a nice phrase-- bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Well done!
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for helping to start my year on a positive note and congrats to you. Someone once told me with running just to relax relax relax and that works for me - just relax into every stride and enjoy the show! Never never ever give up xx
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    you did an awesome job, that is great dedication and you did great. Be proud that is a great end to a great year!!
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great job setting a goal and then accomplishing it, you probably trained and it's awesome that you stuck through it and came out victorious :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!