Weak arms

Options
i have been training for a little over a month now. my goal is to build glutes and strengthen/tone up all over. ive been working with a personal trainer and my legs/glutes have improved a lot.. im squatting and deadlifting and all that jazz however with my arms, i'm still using the same weights for most exercises. for example, with bicep curls, i've been using 8lbs-10lbs. but some says, i cant even get past 8 reps with those weights. today i just siwtched to 5lbs and did 20 reps. last week i was able to do lat raises with i think either 8 or 10lb dumbbells but today i felt weak and switched to 5lbs

what could i be doing wrong? i train arms 1-2 times a week

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Stop training arms and start focusing on compound movements (pull ups, chin ups, bench press, military press). These will strengthen your arms and because you're using more weight, the strength gains will be much faster.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Stop training arms and start focusing on compound movements (pull ups, chin ups, bench press, military press). These will strengthen your arms and because you're using more weight, the strength gains will be much faster.

I agree with this, especially the presses (since I haven't done pull ups :smile:) and also push ups.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You will see much slower progress on isolation exercises so I wouldn't worry too much about that, and plenty of people have problems lifting anything heavy for the lat raise. Aside from the advice not to worry too much about such things being true, a possible explanation for your ostensible weakening could be nutrition. You may simply have not had the energy. Everyone has good and bad days and we all react differently to things. If progressing on these lifts is important to you then discuss it with your trainer.

In short, relax and give it more time. Seeing progress on the squat every week is par for the course, but this is certainly less true for the exercises you are concerned about.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    A month is almost no time at all to see much progress in a small muscle group, particularly if you are not eating to pack on muscle.