What kind of workout clothes should I buy?

Options
adayinaz
adayinaz Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone!

I've been a "member" here for at least a couple of years, but I've been inactive, mostly using MFP for recipe calorie calculators, etc. Here's my big confession: I've been trying to lose weight since my wedding 5 and a half years ago when I weighed 180 lbs. Since then, I've seen tons of ups and downs (including breaking my leg and then finding it nearly impossible to run to this day), and the numbers on the scale have been creeping upwards. I now weigh 254 lbs.

I'm doing a few things differently this time around - I have a feasible diet plan that combines components that have worked for me in the past. I have a 12-week workout plan that gradually increases from walking on a treadmill 10 minutes a day (I currently am a couch potato) up to 3 days weekly strength training plus 3 days weekly of walking/running for 40 minutes. I have my husband on board for support. I love charts and numbers and I've set up some great spreadsheets to track my progress.

Here's what I need help with: I'm a short (5'6") but big woman with a very big chest and absolutely no idea what clothes or shoes to get. I'd like to spend $150 or less all together, and I want clothes that are specifically for working out. I have some running shoes that "work" but I haven't been fitted or anything. I don't have a sports bra that fits, and I can't stand underwires. I have some old T-shirts. I don't really have any good shorts or pants for fitness, although I have some thin/stretchy sleep pants I could use in a pinch. Can anybody suggest specific brands or items I should buy? What items should I be focusing on, if I can't get everything?

I know this is a wordy post but I really appreciate help! I started walking this morning, burned 100 calories, and I feel great - but I know once I increase the intensity I'm going to need some better clothes. Thanks!

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with brands, but I can help with direction. Spend good money on a supportive sports bra or bras for "the girls." Consider having a fitting. It isn't embarrassing and will get you off to a good start. You also need to spend good money on shoes. After that, anything comfortable that gives you freedom of movement for your activities is fine. You can spend a lot of money on gym wear if you have it available and love clothes, but it isn't necessary. One more thing. Plan to replace your workout clothes repeatedly as you slim down. Getting new, smaller clothes was the best NSVs, ( non scale victories,) for me. It cheered me up, put a smile on my face and extra grit into my determination.

Good luck to you.
  • katiebenson12
    katiebenson12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the person above. Spend the money on supportive undergarments as well as shoes. I ended up going to a running store where they specifically fit me with a pair of shoes. Life has been so much better since I did that! Being a larger woman, I have found that Underarmour fits well, and I am not ashamed to say that I buy workout shirts from the men's department. They fit better, but I have the goal of buying workout clothes from the women't section eventually. One more thing, Lane Bryant has started an "Active" line. I haven't looked at prices but that is a start. You don't have to buy everything at once, just make sure you have good shoes and support. Good luck!!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Target has some reasonably priced comfortable workout clothes
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with brands, but I can help with direction. Spend good money on a supportive sports bra or bras for "the girls." Consider having a fitting. It isn't embarrassing and will get you off to a good start. You also need to spend good money on shoes. After that, anything comfortable that gives you freedom of movement for your activites is fine. You can spend a lot of money on gym wear if you have it available and love clothes, but it isn't necessary.

Good luck to you.

I agree, a good bra and good shoes are what matters most. I also have big boobs, and I just wear my regular bra with a sports bra over it. It took me awhile to find one tight enough for my liking but I paid $12 at Walmart. Shoes are a big one for me. When I started out I was about your weight (245lbs 5'6'') and I had sketchers. And! I started with running haha needless to say that they sucked and I got shin splints. I prefer Asiscs and I paid about $120 for them but they are money very well spent. And where you plan to start they should last you a long long while. I went to the running room and they fitted me properly - the shoes cost no more than any sports store too!

Workout clothes - at this point get whatever you feel comfortable to wear. I recommend something with a tie waste because as you lose weight you can just tie them tighter. Walmart, Winners, Costco, Target all have nice workout clothes. I get my tanks from Old Navy. Now that I am a bit more exercised focused I tend to like Lululemon and Bench for my workout pants. Yes pricey but super good quality.

Good luck, you got this!
  • wilkerson
    Options
    deff invest in good sports bra and shoes, I don't spend a lot of money on work out clothes, I usually check discount stores and even goodwill stores. good luck to you, im supporting ya all the way.
  • adayinaz
    Options
    Has anyone had any luck with buying sports bras online? (Again, for larger women.) I'm concerned about fit and about paying for return shipping.

Thanks for the feedback to be focusing on undergarments and shoes - I had a feeling about that but I'm still not sure what to get, and I'm really reluctant to get fitted for shoes.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try different brands on. Choose the ones that you feel fantastic in. The sort that you look forward to putting on in colors that you love. You'd be surprised how motivating it can be to pull on something you feel good in to go to the gym.
    I like Danskin. Not expensive and come in a variety of colors and styles.
  • adayinaz
    Options
    Wow you ladies are fantastic! Thanks for so many quick responses - I'm loving all this feedback.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I personally like Cacique for sports bras. They keep the girls right where they need to be when I'm doing whatever it may be, whether hi or low impact. For the quality of the product I believe it's worth the price. I have been fitted properly and can't stress that enough.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with brands, but I can help with direction. Spend good money on a supportive sports bra or bras for "the girls." Consider having a fitting. It isn't embarrassing and will get you off to a good start. You also need to spend good money on shoes. After that, anything comfortable that gives you freedom of movement for your activites is fine. You can spend a lot of money on gym wear if you have it available and love clothes, but it isn't necessary.

Good luck to you.

I agree. As long as the clothing is comfortable and can "breathe", it doesn't matter. Personally I like wearing cropped yoga pants (the legs stop below the knee), because they are comfortable and allow for movement. Any old Tshirt will do. I buy my workout pants from Ross. It is very cheap ($12 - 15 for pants maybe?).

Most of your money should definitely go to the bras and the shoes.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I started off with a bunch of workout clothes consisting of sweats/yoga pants(cheap ones from walmart) and whatever big shirts I had. I can't help with bras, seeing how you say you don't like underwire. I use a cheap cotton underwire bra(also from walmart) and just throw a cheap sports bra over it. Eventually I want to get a few good sports bras that I hopefully won't have to wear another bra with. Would be very nice. I've slowly added more clothes that are better fitting and are all actually exercise clothes. Walmart had a bunch of nice workout shirts(the dri-fit or whatever it is, they look just like the expensive Under Armour shirts and they don't show sweat like a t-shirt does) for like $3 on clearance the other day so now I have PLENTY of shirts. Bought them in every color I could find in my size! I have gotten workout pants from pretty much everywhere: walmart, kohls, jc penny, Kroger... Maybe once I'm at goal size I will spend money on the more expensive brands, but for now, I'm all about getting something cheap and comfortable. No $150 is a bit low if you need shoes though as well. I think mine were like 50-60$ and they are just a pair of Nikes that I thought were cute... a few months later and I have realized they basically suck to work out in. I plan on switching them out for a new pair as soon as I can afford to.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you'd buy workout clothes as I'm in England, so we have different shops, but I agree with the supportive bras. I'm also 5'6 and a 34/36D and I got a sports bra online from Pure Lime. I have 2, and they've lasted me a few years now.

I have Nike trainers that I bought from a sports store here, and I just wear whatever trousers are the most comfortable. I do have some Nike ones and some Reebok ones, but some other cheaper ones that are fine. I wear vest tops usually, not any specific brand. I think you call them tank tops.

I started at 220 and went to 154. I'm pregnant now and luckily can still fit into some of my workout trousers.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I started I bought cheap and comfortable clothes. Spent more on proper fitting comfortable shoes. I got the clothes at Walmart. I bought 3 pairs of crop pants and 3 t-shirts. I quickly found I liked the pants and bought 3 more in a size smaller. Wasn't a few months and I was into the smaller pants. It actually does get hard to work out in clothes that are too big. Never thought it would be a problem. It was for me. Once I got closer to my goal I then bought some more expensive workout clothes. I wanted quality and wanted to be cute. I still make sure my shoes are primo. Nothing hurts worse for me is when my plantar facistus (sp?) acts up.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    they pretty much summed it all up for ya! Good luck to you!
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and large chested as well. I just used what I had on hand. I never spent money on anything fitness wise other than: Digital Food Scale, an exercise ball, and of course the usual protein shake. Other than that I've used what I have on hand. I don't have a treadmill (WHICH I DESPERATELY NEED BUT CAN'T AFFORD!) and I don't have any kind of spiffy clothing or equipment really. I also need need to know of a good sports bra, but honestly, every one I have worn, has been stretched out so bad, so I gave up on them. Yes, underwire is miserable to exercise in but I deal with it. lol. I just usually throw on a tank and some loose pants which are normally my night pants or sweat pants. :/ But anyway, good luck on your journey! WE GOT THIS!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Good luck to you.

I agree, a good bra and good shoes are what matters most. I also have big boobs, and I just wear my regular bra with a sports bra over it. It took me awhile to find one tight enough for my liking but I paid $12 at Walmart. Shoes are a big one for me. When I started out I was about your weight (245lbs 5'6'') and I had sketchers. And! I started with running haha needless to say that they sucked and I got shin splints. I prefer Asiscs and I paid about $120 for them but they are money very well spent. And where you plan to start they should last you a long long while. I went to the running room and they fitted me properly - the shoes cost no more than any sports store too!

Workout clothes - at this point get whatever you feel comfortable to wear. I recommend something with a tie waste because as you lose weight you can just tie them tighter. Walmart, Winners, Costco, Target all have nice workout clothes. I get my tanks from Old Navy. Now that I am a bit more exercised focused I tend to like Lululemon and Bench for my workout pants. Yes pricey but super good quality.

Good luck, you got this!

I also have to agree. A good bra and good shoes are what matter, everything else is about what is comfortable.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Just had another thought -- are you near a Costco? They have cheap clothes, but they get Adidas runners all the time for around $40. They are good price and good shoes.

I'd be hesitant to bra shop online unless you already know exactly what will fit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I can't help you with the sports bras. Sorry. :embarassed:

That said, you primarily want comfortable clothing. The second-most import thing, IMO, is to get something like UnderArmour or Starter or the like - knockoffs made out of the same materials are fine - that will wick away the sweat. In other words, you'll probably want to stay away from cotton. When I do upper body with cotton, I get a rash under my armpits from the rubbing. When I wear my Starter Dri-Star shirt for upper body? No problems.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love Lulu lemon and Nike. They are great quality, but expensive.

Kohl's usually has good deals on their activewear. Check out Target as well.

I'm a 38D and Lane Bryant has supportive sports bras for big chested women. They run between $35-50.

All three pairs of my sneakers are Nikes. Two Nike Frees and one Nike Flex. Each pair was $100.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i would just save your money and go naked