Protein powder & questions

Options
Hello. I'm starting my lifestyle change tomarrow and have a few questions. I have about 70lbs to lose.I bought two protein powders to try. One is target brand 160 cal, 25g of protein and the other is EAS lite 100 cal, 15 g of protein. Do those of you that do a protein shake drink it before or after workouts? I plan on working out at 6 am. Should I eat breakfast before or after I work out? Can the protein shake replace breakfast or should I still eat a bowl of oatmeal or something.Lastly, how much water should I be drinking. I'm really terrible about drinking water so I need a goal for daily water intake.

Replies

• focusedfitness123
    focusedfitness123 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like to have a protein drink about an hour before a workout and then immediately after as well. I would recommend you start with the EAS before working out as probably has more carbs (for energy), and the Target brand after (for muscle synthesis). JMO
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do half a shake before a workout and half after. Then a mid morning snack.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    i don't drink protein shakes.

I use protein (less than a serve) in a "bread/cake" I make for dessert, but otherwise get most of my protein from food

If I train early, I don't eat beforehand - I have bcaa's though, and a coffee with coconut oil and gelatin blended through . i'll have breakfast afterwards that is focused on protein and carbs. if I train in the evening, replace "breakfast" with dinner :)

using protein powder isn't going to help you achieve your goals. sticking to your macros will help you achieve your goals, whatever they may be.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    protein powder is a supplement, and that's how I use it. To supplement. I mix a half a scoop of protein into my oatmeal, or I'll freeze a banana and then mix it in a blender with protein to make ice cream. I just use it to add extra protein to my diet. I started eating way less meat after seeing some documentaries, and needed extra protein. Always ways to get everything from "real food" though.