Deer???

Options
124»

Replies

• PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Look up Moroccan Lamb Tagines (or beef tagines) and substitute deer.
    I did this for guests and they loved it.
    Deer, red wine, a little beef broth, moroccan spices, dried currents (found near raisins in market), can of chickpeas (garbanzo's).
    Serve over couscous with chopped cilantro and I usually add a nut (pistacio or almond slivers.)
    PM me if you want the full recipe.
  • dawkinsc2
    dawkinsc2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats on eating deer and on getting so many ideas. I've tried almost all of the dishes listed here and love them all. Anything you can do with beef you can do with deer. Boy oh boy to live in Kansas though; our South Carolina boys would be in hunter's heaven. We'd all be much healthier if we ate wild game instead of antibiotic and hormone feed animals. You should post the recipes you get her so they can add them to the database.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    no, I love deer, I want them alive.

Obviously you don't live in Kansas. They are ridiculous here. I live out in the county and see them on a constant basis. They eat our gardens, scare our animals, and are just plain obnoxious. On an average morning, I will wake up to 25-40 of them in my yard. This makes for a beautiful sunrise, I agree, but they are still annoying. AND they like to play "Dodge the Car"... and lose... my headlights can't take it much longer!

"Dodge the Car"????? In Texas the deer play "Bumper Cars" or "Bumper Trucks"
  • dawkinsc2
    dawkinsc2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The guy who processes my deer adds a small amount of bacon to the burger instead of chunks of fat. No dry burgers and they are easy to grill.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like deer…

Alive
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    bambie hash is deeelish!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I like deer…

Alive

santana_rolling_her_eyes.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I love the gamey taste of venison for the most part, but I could see how it might interfere with certain dishes. I've been told that soaking it in milk for a few hours will get rid of that. Are there other methods that you might use, OP (or anyone else for that matter).
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    *drool*

Now I'm trying to see if I can push some numbers about for a nice venison burger!
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've had it in a stew with potatoes, carrots, ect. It's really good that way. Of course you can always make jerky!

I wish I was a hunter because I love venison <3
  • katie_fitzy
    katie_fitzy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    chili made with either the burger or small pieces of stew meat. The roast you can sub for the beef in any pot roast recipes you have.