How long a gym workout should be

Options
Ok so here is my dilemma,. I work anywhere from 9 to 11 hours a day and a large majority of that time is spent in a chair. In the evening I usually workout for about 45 minutes to an hour, and although it slowly got me towards my goal... I feel like that doesn't "compete" with the amount of time I spend in a chair. I'm curious to know what other people do to deal with similar situations and what advice anyone may have. Thanks!

Replies

• DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I exercise till I feel refreshed. But in general health-wise an adult or child should move at least an hour a day.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Absolute minimum 30 minutes for me but that's a 3+ mile run. Other days I'll run or hit the elipiticals about 20 minutes and then hit the machines for 40 minutes.

If I'm running outside it's probably an hour or so for a run, longer if I'm training for a half or whole marathon.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    45 minutes is about right. My opinion is that you should work to a level where you feel tired after 45-60 minutes … if you can maintain a workout longer than that, you're either training for a big event (like a marathon) or you aren't doing much intensity.

You can do other things during the day, though, to help feel like you're countering chair time. Park farther away. Take the stairs. Go for walks on your breaks. Wear a pedometer and make a goal for a certain number of steps a day. When you take a "stretch" break, doing 10 jumping jacks or pushups or something. :wink:
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is my dilemma,. I work anywhere from 9 to 11 hours a day and a large majority of that time is spent in a chair. In the evening I usually workout for about 45 minutes to an hour, and although it slowly got me towards my goal... I feel like that doesn't "compete" with the amount of time I spend in a chair. I'm curious to know what other people do to deal with similar situations and what advice anyone may have. Thanks!

Obviously it's all up to your food intake... but focusing on your exercise question:

1. Circuit training(weights) + Interval rows(20 sec as hard as possible, 10 sec off x 20). You can't workout for more than 45 min - 1 hour with these type of workouts with minimal rest and you get completely gassed.

2. Boxercise/cycle class/aerobics/crossfit - All 1 hour classes.

3. If I'm tired and lazy, I'll hop on the elliptical with an ipad and watch a tv show for 30-40 min, then do some weights for 20-30 min then head home.

In the end, how 'good' you look depends on your diet. If you are sedentary and don't have time for long cardio sessions, decrease your carb intake.

If you like crossfit, spin classes, intervals and other intense exercises, then you can eat more carbs and still lose unwanted fat.

Personally, I mix it up (3-4 crossfit / 1-2 rolly gym sessions) for a total of 5 - 6 times/week.

Biggest weight loss factor for me though? Change in diet to accomodate my life style.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    45-60 minutes sounds about right for me as well. most of my workouts are tough enough that i cant go any longer anyway

i do weigh lifting 3 days a week where i'm doing compound exercises and lifting heavy weights. the other days i do circuit style cardio workouts where i'm getting my heart rate up not quite to HIIT levels, but they are pretty good intervals. i never leave the gym thinking my workout was incomplete
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I aim for 45 minutes of exercise then do some stretching. During the work day I stand up and do some squats or walk around a little just to get off my butt.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do 45-60 mins for a workout, sometimes more. I don't have a desk job though, I'm a teacher and on my feet all the time. Plus I have young kids. I had a desk job years ago though, and I did similar times for my workouts, and I lost weight. I did eat less then.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have time for a 30-40min workout before work. At work I use the stairs, walk to see people rather than phone and weather permitting get a brisk 1mile walk in at lunch time. At a weekend or if I'm on holiday I'll spend longer at the gym or running outside but then I tend to be more sedentary at home.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The length of your workout isn't as important as the intensity. If you can only devote 45-60 minutes a day then make it count! Really push yourself. I think a lot of people feel like they have to be there for 1.5-2 hours to get a complete workout, but if that time frame doesn't work for your lifestyle then it's not for you. With that being said, I workout for 1.5-2 hours 5 days/week. I have a workout partner so it takes a little longer for us to complete weight training and we end each session with 30 minutes of cardio. I only work 3 days/week so this workout schedule works for me. My advice would be to really focus on keeping your diet in check because the sedentary nature of your job and then really push the intensity of your workouts. Good luck!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I skimmed lol.

If all you have time for is 45-60 min, thats how much you should do. If you feel it doesn't compete with your sitting time, maybe push yourself a bit harder in your workout
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I work out an hour and a half most sessions but I agree with what the others said about intensity. If you're trying to lose weight you want the most bang for your buck or the most calories burnt for your time. I tend to warm up on the bike or walking for only a few minutes and then spend the majority of my time running or on the elliptical.

Something that also helped me was adding push ups in the morning most mornings before I got dressed.

:smile: