What am I doing wrong?

Options
My kids scream in the background just because. So, sorry about the typos and incoherence in advance.

I eat a balanced diet, no prepackacked food, satisfying macronutrient recs, etc. I exercise 6 days a week. HRM says around 400 cals. I have a fitbit and I burn more than 2500calories a day and eat about 1400cals. I don't drop a pound and what's even worse, I'm gaining. What am I doing wrong?

I'll elaborate more if anyone has questions. Gotta check on the kids.

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You can eat the healthiest foods in the world and exercise until you're half-dead, but if you're taking in more calories than you're expending in a day, you're going to gain weight. If you're eating the same amount you expend, you'll maintain, and if you're eating less than you expend, you'll lose weight. Everything else is just a matter of tracking accurately and compliance.

The first time I came here, I just used the calorie counter for a couple of weeks to see how much I was eating. Then I lowered it so I would lose weight.

Later I had compliance issues and tweaked my diet further, but you might not have to worry about that. Lots of people do fine just counting calories and staying in a reasonable deficit.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food to ensure that you really are eating 1400 calories a day? Are you eating back the 400 cal you burn during exercise? You're going to have to give us info like height, weight, etc, so people can do calculations to see what your TDEE would be and the associated deficit.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit. If you're gaining, you're eating above maintenance.

Set your MFP goal to lose .5 or 1 lb. per week. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Move more, but if you still aren't losing weight then eat back only half your exercise calories.

Everybody's different, so it will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this. I wish it'd been here when I started:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • spintronicus
    spintronicus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I honestly eat around 1400 cals a day. I don't snack around. I truly log every single thing. Even if it's two cashew halves my kids stuff into my mouth. Or that double shot espresso even if it's just 5 calories. Really no intentional cheating.

I'm 5’ 6”. 145lbs yesterday. 146.2 this morning. I wear a HRM for exercises. I have 3. 2 polar brands, 1 timex. They give similar results for the same type of exercise I wear a fitbit when not exercising. I'm on my feet all day long. Always moving. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis but religiously take my medication every single day and my blood work came back normal last time. I'll see my endo again in a few weeks.

For exercise, I was running with my kids in the stroller until winter hit hard and now I'm using a stationary bike, an arc trainer, a rowing machine or do Jillian's 30 day shred's level 3. I have only a few days left on 30ds and I'll start insanity. I'm in relatively good shape and I was able to keep up with first two levels albeit being not easy.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    I don't eat back what I supposedly burn by exercise. According to mfp app, I should be eating 1400 but my fitbit adjusts it to 1700something at the end of the day since apparently I'm more active than "moderately" active but i don't eat back those too. Regardless of my total supposedly burned calories, I try to eat around 1400. I'm really frustrated with all this.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    I'm also breastfeeding a toddler and it should burn some so they say. I'll check out the link you posted. Thank you. I found about Emma-Leigh yesterday and read about her recommendations a bit but I need to have our nanny back to do more reading. Hopefully, in a few days.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know that when I got my digital scale, it made a HUGE difference. I was totally shocked at portion sized and calories in the foods I eat. I got a HRM and my calories burned was less than the database said. My advice is weigh everything, continue to log everything, and eat to a deficit.
  • cg037
    cg037 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly, at 5'6 and 145 pounds, you're not even that overweight. Losing the pounds is not going to be easy as someone that weighs 400 pounds at your height. Maybe its a set point for your body, in which case, you'll have to power through it. Do you do any weight training? Maybe you should focus on body comp at this point versus raw weight.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, there is a chance you are not eating enough.

Open your diary so we can take a look at it.

I was at a plateau for weeks at 1200 calories and could not figure what I was doing wrong. I upped my calories and started losing again lost that last 5 pounds I wanted to, and i am in my 40s.

I gained 18 lbs in India over the the last 5 months doing the whole eat pray love thing. I have set my cals to 1500 per day and eating back my exercise calories and although I have not weighed yet, can tell I am losing by the way my close are fitting.

You need to eat at least your BMR.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    just glancing over this, its obvious you either need to eat more, or get more accurate in measuring your food.

How do you work out 6 days a week with a small child??????
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you need to eat more. If you're not eating back your exercise calories and only eating 1400 calories a day, then you are only netting about 1000 calories a day. I'm also breastfeeding a toddler and my estimate for that is around 150-200 cal a day because she only nurses before nap and bedtime. So you could actually be netting under 1000 cal per day. If your fitbit is telling you to eat around 1700, I would probably pick a number in between and see if there is any improvement. Eating 1550 or 1600 a day for a bit isn't going to derail you with your level of exercise and breastfeeding and might get the scale to move again.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I have hashimoto's thyroiditis but religiously take my medication every single day and my blood work came back normal last time. I'll see my endo again in a few weeks.
    I have Hashi's and take Synthroid. My endocrinologist claims I can lose just like anybody else. It took me an entire year to lose 20 lbs. You can lose, but it's slow going.

Take Synthroid with a full glass of water at least 4 hours after eating. Wait at least an hour before eating or drinking anything but water. Then wait another 3 hours (4 total) before taking any vitamins or minerals.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm also breastfeeding a toddler and it should burn some so they say. I'll check out the link you posted. Thank you. I found about Emma-Leigh yesterday and read about her recommendations a bit but I need to have our nanny back to do more reading. Hopefully, in a few days.

Since you are breastfeeding, you might check with a professional. I read somewhere that breastfeeding changes the picture with weight loss and the needs of your body, but I can't remember what/where I read it (here on MFP).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 5’ 6”. 145lbs yesterday. 146.2 this morning.
    So you've been at this one day?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I know that when I got my digital scale, it made a HUGE difference. I was totally shocked at portion sized and calories in the foods I eat. I got a HRM and my calories burned was less than the database said. My advice is weigh everything, continue to log everything, and eat to a deficit.
    ^^^This.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You breast feed, you burn 400 calories each workout, you are already a healthy weight and you only eat 1400 calories a day?
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about the fact that you're breastfeeding then you are doing no favors for you or your child by eating so little.

I think you know better.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    just glancing over this, its obvious you either need to eat more, or get more accurate in measuring your food.

How do you work out 6 days a week with a small child??????

It is possible as I got a almost 3 year old but im lucky if I can get 45 mins in at least 3 days a week
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Try weighing your food. You probably are eating way more than you think. I'm sorry but I just don't believe a breast feeding mom is only eating 1400 calories a day. You would be ravenous. You need to eat more, you and your baby need nutrients.

Also, increase your water intake and lower your salt intake.

At this weight a few pounds of excess fat (really, you are only 15-20 pounds overweight) comes off very slow. Expect no more than .5 pound a week.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    (really, you are only 15-20 pounds overweight)
    :huh: At 5'6" and 145, she is 10 lbs. BELOW overweight BMI.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf