Cutting yourself to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The OP sourced Freakonimics Radio. Automatic credibility fail.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It was certainly startling to read (lol), but I got her point. Kind of makes sense!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    In for reading comprehension.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    in to have on the news feed \m/
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sure this will make all the people on MFP who support surgery as a weight loss method think twice. Because topics about surgery for weight loss don't always devolve into finger pointing and shaming and MFP is a place that, as a whole, really supports that sort of thing.

Oh wait. A post about how something shouldn't be socially acceptable (Is weight loss surgery socially acceptable by the way? I think that's a stretch) in a place where it's generally considered not acceptable/the easy way out. Fascinating.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    why not just get this professionally done by a Dr and get a patch installed.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pain-weight-loss-tongue-patch-diet/story?id=19840923
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Crazy, what do you do after the cuts heal and you get hungry? Keep cutting?!?!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    This comparison is a stretch at best because, barring complications, bariatric surgery does not make it uncomfortable or painful to eat. It restricts food intake. Of course, this method on its own, like bariatric surgery, does nothing to address dealing with hunger or healthy eating habits. It would likely have the same failure rates.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So we've determined that the OP doesn't believe that weight loss surgery is a good option. For her, and apparently for any one else.
    Otherwise.... umm, okay.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going to be about amputation.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there OP:)
    :drinker:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going to be about amputation.
    Me too.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The infection risk of bariatric surgery would be limited to a certain amount of time post surgery.... the infection risk of maintaining these cuts in a bacterial rich mouth would be ongoing and in my opinion, because of the environment (not a sterile OR) and time frame - a bigger infection risk. I see it ending badly.

AND not healthy either as a weight loss plan. You aren't fixing the problem - you are finding a work around instead.

this! ^^^^^^
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sure this will make all the people on MFP who support surgery as a weight loss method think twice. Because topics about surgery for weight loss don't always devolve into finger pointing and shaming and MFP is a place that, as a whole, really supports that sort of thing.

Oh wait. A post about how something shouldn't be socially acceptable (Is weight loss surgery socially acceptable by the way? I think that's a stretch) in a place where it's generally considered not acceptable/the easy way out. Fascinating.

And yeah... this. I've seen bariatric surgery called "self mutilation" at worst and "cheating" at best. Socially acceptable, you say?
  • b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    This is something I'd consider. Thanks for raising this point, very insightful and not f*cked up at all.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    How about you fix whatever **** is screwed up in your head instead?
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love how one of the first responses is "What do you do when the cuts heal? KEEP CUTTING YOURSELF!?" People who get a band that tightens their stomachs EAT THROUGH THE BAND all the time. Then what do they do? They get it tightened or adjusted. Meal times for bariatric patients are also uncomfortable if they get their portion sizes wrong, as their newly shrunk stomachs stretch too much to accomodate food. My cousin, who got a band wrapped around her stomach to make it smaller, spent the first few weeks post operation vomitting regularly because she overestimated the amount of food she could eat.

Bariatric surgery: not even once.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lol, the point of this post is ALREADY lost on most of the people who replied!

You are supposed to be disgusted by the idea of cutting your gums. The comparison is meant to make you think about why this isn't socially acceptable, but having bariatric surgery is. It isn't meant to be taken as an actual weight loss technique.

To those of you who say that the poster is irresponsible ... IMO, you should never censor yourself just because some people are too stupid to understand you. If people are seeking out extreme and dangerous weight loss strategies, they're going to find plenty on the internet regardless, and they most likely won't be starting with My Fitness Pal.

smh...

It's not censorship to change the delivery of the message to eliminate potentially dangerous ideas.

I don't know how long you've been around here, but if you stick around, in the next few weeks the boards will have an influx of "18 y/o" girls posting about loosely veiled pro-ana (pro-anorexia) ideas, looking to hook up with other like-minded teens. Once they find one another, most of the communication between them moves to private groups and each other's walls (rather than the forums), and it's extremely disturbing and heartbreaking.

I'm not trying to censor the OP's message, just to make the OP aware that these kids are out there reading these posts and looking for ideas. The OP's message doesn't break any rules, and I have no strong feelings about bariatric surgery.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Dafug is this?

No...just no. You never develop a healthy relationship with food this way. Once the cuts heal, then what? Cut again? And again?

The only "cut" I do is a fat-cutting regime of healthy eating and exercise, thank you very much. People are crazy.
This discussion has been closed.