Lots of celebrating--dilemma

Options
SO the holidays are over...NOT.

My birthday is January 4th. Let me start by saying that this holiday season, I did pretty well with maintaining my weight and enjoying myself without gorging too bad. I worked out pretty well.

But my birthday is coming. There are a bunch of different people who would like to celebrate with me. To them, this means going out. I went out with my dad today, and I'm going out with other family tonight. As far as I know, I'm going out twice on Saturday too. Then I have a christening to attend on Sunday. So it's going to be food, food, food.

I am a vegetarian and I tend to go for veggies, soups, grilled cheese when I go out, so I guess these choices aren't super high calorie I guess. But sometimes while I'm out I tend to overeat. I'm big on dessert too, but oddly enough I haven't been craving it lately.

Do you think all of this going out to eat will set me back too much, even if I make some unhealthy choices? I go back to school tomorrow, so I won't have the time to work out as vigorously as I've been, but usually I can fit an hour or an hour and a half to work out in my schedule during the days I have school. Thanks!

Replies

• charbear94
    Options
    First of all, congrats on maintaining through Christmas and New Years!! that's fantastic :) I have been in similar situations, because my sister's birthday is around Christmas so we have a lot of celebrating with food too. If I know where my family is going out to eat beforehand, I will always look at their nutrition info online and plan out my meal. If it's not available I search for anything listed as a lighter calorie or healthier choice. Also, if you stick with veggies you should be fine! as far as grilled cheese and things though you just have to be careful because some breads and cheeses are high in calories; pasta can be too, and potatoes too. But honestly, a couple of days of indulging at restaurants aren't going to make or break your diet as long as you get back on track the day after! You may have some "water weight" but that usually goes away in a couple of days :)

I hope this helps some!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A. Same birthday as my daughter. :) happy birthday.
    B. Stick with veggies and avoid dessert if you are worried about going over. If not, enjoy the cheese. Or just plan to enjoy yourself, track your damage and plan on going back into losing mode for as long as it takes to get back to maintenance. Just pick one plan and go with it.
    C. I'd kill to have the free time to work out that long everyday. You'll be fine. And if you aren't, just think of it as prep for the rest of your life of no time.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And happy -almost- birthday to your daughter :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can eat out and make good choices. You write that you tend not to. That's a a great thing to work on for the new year. Eat lighter for the meals you're not celebrating. You probably won't be as hungry anyway.

I love desert, but rarely eat it and always split it with my husband. Choose things without frosting.
  • PearlAng
    Options
    You can eat out and make good choices. You write that you tend not to. That's a a great thing to work on for the new year. Eat lighter for the meals you're not celebrating. You probably won't be as hungry anyway.

I love desert, but rarely eat it and always split it with my husband. Choose things without frosting.
    I'm sorry, I think you may have misunderstood. I make go choices and eat pretty well, I just tend to overeat when I go out sometimes
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I think you may have misunderstood. I make go choices and eat pretty well, I just tend to overeat when I go out sometimes

Well, as the saying goes...practice makes perfect. It's time to strengthen that willpower and resolve and teach yourself how to not overeat when you go out. :smile: Consider this a "making progress" opportunity :smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    SO the holidays are over...NOT.

My birthday is January 4th. Let me start by saying that this holiday season, I did pretty well with maintaining my weight and enjoying myself without gorging too bad. I worked out pretty well.

But my birthday is coming. There are a bunch of different people who would like to celebrate with me. To them, this means going out. I went out with my dad today, and I'm going out with other family tonight. As far as I know, I'm going out twice on Saturday too. Then I have a christening to attend on Sunday. So it's going to be food, food, food.

I am a vegetarian and I tend to go for veggies, soups, grilled cheese when I go out, so I guess these choices aren't super high calorie I guess. But sometimes while I'm out I tend to overeat. I'm big on dessert too, but oddly enough I haven't been craving it lately.

Do you think all of this going out to eat will set me back too much, even if I make some unhealthy choices? I go back to school tomorrow, so I won't have the time to work out as vigorously as I've been, but usually I can fit an hour or an hour and a half to work out in my schedule during the days I have school. Thanks!

Not unless you let it. Try tracking, adding in an extra workout, etc. Be prepared for an inflated number on the scale (or on a measuring tape) from water retention. Give yourself a few weeks post-celebrating at eating at a deficit, hydrating, etc. Then look again.

You're probably where you started pre-holidays, if not lower. I wish "HOLIDAY WEIGHT GAIN IS MOSTLY WATER RETENTION" got stamped on every box of candy canes.

Also, happy cakeday.
  • PearlAng
    Options

Well, as the saying goes...practice makes perfect. It's time to strengthen that willpower and resolve and teach yourself how to not overeat when you go out. :smile: Consider this a "making progress" opportunity :smile:

thanks :smile: I went out twice yesterday. I did well with lunch, but when we went for dinner I felt I over ate just a bit. I think I will make it a point to be more aware of my cues while Im out