50 something teacher, newbie needs pal support

Options
Happy New Year! I'm probably one of many, many people starting out (starting over) today on the road to a better me. I sure could use a few buddies to support me. I've been lurking around this site for long enough and now I need to get into the action!

I'm a 6th grade history teacher in the Seattle area. Stress and mindless eating made me pack on 15 pounds in the last year. Topped out at 170 pounds and sure would like to get down to 150. I'm looking for some folks with similar profiles to help me win the battle.

If you can relate to having to resist frequent treats in the staff room and endless offers of birthday cupcakes, you might be a good friend for me! I will gladly help support your journey in return!

Cheers,
Ruby :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dimpleschick55
    Dimpleschick55 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I can surely relate to your dilemma. I need to lose 10 pounds. Unfortunately it's the same 10 pounds I have wanted to lose since May. I live in the caribbean and am a health care professional. One of my colleagues makes sure we have plenty of chocolate and other goodies to eat every day. Sweets are my downfall, I like to eat them. I was also diagnosed with celiac disease last year so anything make with wheat is out of the question. Oh how I long for a good sandwich or a piece of cake. Gluten free foods leave a lot to be desired and I have gained weight since I started eating them.

I've always been thin and I don't mind weighing more as I've gotten older, it's the natural order of things. I also developed thyroid disease about 12 years ago and gained weight with that. My weight is now something I've constantly had to monitor which is new for me. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted up until then. I just want to look good in my clothes and feel good every day. I will be glad to be your pal in this adventure.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am a 51 year old woman living just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in the heart of the northern CA wine country an hour north of San Francisco. My sister is a retired school teacher and married into a family of teachers. I have worked in offices before and understand the many temptations that my coworkers would bring in on a regular basis. I am a self employed accounting professional and have always loved to cook. I have kept my recipes electronically for more than 30 years so I could easily print two self published books for my daughters one day. Now that they are grown I started to organize them for printing and my daughters asked me to also include all of my mothers secrets too. Well one thing led to another and in a matter of a few months I have become an internet radio host, cookbook reviewer for a major newspaper, a website developer, and a budding cookbook author. I am currently just under 170 and want to continue my slow and steady weight loss but refuse to live on "diet food". I have suffered from depression in the past and learned that healthy, nutritious, flavorful food combined with yoga and moderate exercise is my key to mental, physical, and emotional health. Since I have 2 daughters I am very careful not to send negative messages to them by trying fad diets. I did not put the weight on over night and do not plan on taking it off over night. I have learned to be gentle with myself when I fall off the wagon and know that I can choose to resume my journey with a smile. I have been blessed to make some very dear connections with my MFPpals from all over the globe. If you are looking for encouragement, ideas, a cheerleader, and just a friend to walk down the road to good health with you I would be happy to support you. I have also met some not so nice people on MFP as well. My diary is open to my friends. I have dropped friends or avoided people on MFP who are hyper critical if I have not logged a "perfect" day and did not eat as well as I aspire to on a given day. Therefore I do not criticize others when I notice that they have a twinkie or cupcake in their diary. Please feel to send me a friend request if you want someone to help you stay connected to your goals and you are willing to share this journey together. :D Christine :flowerforyou: