Why does MFP say I will gain?

Options
When I enter my foods and exercise and then finish out the day the little ticker usually says "if every day was like today you would weigh xxx in 5 weeks"

I weigh 110. Set at maintenance to stay at 110. Today I ate all my calories plus ate back all of my exercise calories but 2. MFP says that in five weeks I would weigh 111. This seems weird since I stayed within my range. Is it just using calories consumed and not counting the exercise in the hypothetical every day equation?

The only other thing I can think is that my fat intake has been very high this week with Christmas and New Year's. But I never went over my allotted maintenance calories. Any ideas?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would ignore it. 1lb in 5 weeks is insignificant. It's probably just a glitch.
  • Chicharone
    Options
    That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks!
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    Options
    I would ignore it. 1lb in 5 weeks is insignificant. It's probably just a glitch.

^^^ This, it says the same to me too :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    As long as that's not what's happening...that could be 10lbs in a year!

Are you doing resistance training? Perhaps it's guesstimating muscle gain?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP says i will gain about a pound a week at the moment as it is custom set to my maintenance which is actually about 400 cals over MFPs maintenance for me!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    MFP says i will gain about a pound a week at the moment as it is custom set to my maintenance which is actually about 400 cals over MFPs maintenance for me!

Same with me too. What MFP says my maintenance calories should be and what I'm learning they actually are are very different.
  • Tammy6591
    Tammy6591 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree, the system isn't perfect so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, make sure your not just focusing on the calories but the grams of sugar, carbs etc. That may play a role in the "behind the scenes" math it's computing for your body and showing a slight gain.