Kettlebell Exercise

Options
Anyone use a kettlebell(s) for exercise? Any weightloss success?

Replies

• newnarelle
    newnarelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not as yet, but just bought some kettle bells yesterday and looking up some routines so about to find out. I like the idea of kettle bells, however hate weights, so hoping this will help me with weight training (and bonus cardio). I have only started back at it after gaining back 20kgs, so have 45kgs to lose. Day 2 and have started the cardio with my elliptical, going to start adding kettlebells to the sessions and then get back into classes at the gym for fun as well. Anyone that has some tried and tested tips for a beginner female feel free to let me know. Good luck x
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I do - I have an 8kg, 10kg, 2x12kg, a 16kg and I got a 20kg for xmas. I love kettlebells, they're awesome as its cardio and strength training all in one. I tend to do tabata interval workouts with them which are hard but burn a ton of calories. Quick workouts too!

I'll post you some workout suggestions if you like? E.g. my session yesterday lasted 23 minutes and I burnt 442 calories according to my HRM.
  • Teeganv85
    Teeganv85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have recently purchased kettlebells and would love to hear success stories too :)
  • DR2501
    Options
    The physique I have in my pic is from slimming down with Insanity then switching to KB's to add muscle if that helps.

My family think I'm on commission for kettlebells because I rave about them so much - they've all got them now and are seeing great results.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Great for strength gains. My college wrestler friend started doing it 10 years ago before it got popular. I thought it was a fool's workout until I tried it.

Started incorporating into strength workouts 4 months ago with bootcamp exercises. Started with 16kg and it was heavy for me then... now I can do 20-30 unbroken overhead swings with 32kg.

One month ago, started doing them more intensively at Crossfit. Kept it to simple American style overhead swings or russian swings(two hands) with 32kg.

It really helped develop my glute, hamstring and ab muscles(lat too). I'm taking an extra class from a certified instructor mid January to learn how to do other techniques/lifts with kettlebells.

Make sure you take proper lessons before you start swinging though or else you will get injured.

Most people squat too much and don't tuck their elbows close to their bodies when they swing. This will throw out your lower back long term and you won't see good results.

Kettlebell thumbs up.
  • jmacavoy
    jmacavoy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been going to Kettle Bell classes since last June and definitely see a difference, not only for weight loss, but I'm far better toned.
    I only use lighter weights (2.5kg and 4 Kg) as I want more of a fat burning session than muscle building. If you can find a local class, you will find you push yourself a lot harder than exercising at home. The frst time I did the class, I couldn't lower myself on to my desk chair for days. Felt good though
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do - I have an 8kg, 10kg, 2x12kg, a 16kg and I got a 20kg for xmas. I love kettlebells, they're awesome as its cardio and strength training all in one. I tend to do tabata interval workouts with them which are hard but burn a ton of calories. Quick workouts too!

I'll post you some workout suggestions if you like? E.g. my session yesterday lasted 23 minutes and I burnt 442 calories according to my HRM.

DR looks like he knows how kb workout works better than I do. I only incorporate kb workouts as part of other strength training routines so I don't do kettlebell swings for that long.

One thing I'm sure DR will agree on though is the importance of 'form' in kb workouts. It's important to to go light at first and focus on proper form. Watch youtube videos and if you can, attend a KB seminar or class.
  • jmacavoy
    jmacavoy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with Edwardkim85, if you can find a class, you are more likely to exercise correctly and avoid injury (if you have a good instructor that is).
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights DVD with my Kettlebells :)

So far seems effective!
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Livefitrevolution.org is the best online resource I have found for kettlebells, it is also free - I did the full 12 weeks of workouts and loved the variety that kettlebells can give you...
  • DR2501
    Options

DR looks like he knows how kb workout works better than I do. I only incorporate kb workouts as part of other strength training routines so I don't do kettlebell swings for that long.

One thing I'm sure DR will agree on though is the importance of 'form' in kb workouts. It's important to to go light at first and focus on proper form. Watch youtube videos and if you can, attend a KB seminar or class.

Definitely - form is all important to avoid injury. As kettlebell exercises are so dynamic, you have to ensure you know what you're doing. But don't let this put you off - read what certified instructors say about how to execute the movements, or watch their videos on YouTube, if you can't find a class. This is what I did.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/15-min-to-fit-zuzka-lights-cardio-slim-down-workout.html

I have not jumped on the Kettle Bell fad yet, but my buddy who is built like a brick **** house says it is awesome strength/cardio, depending on what you are doing. Found this 15 minute workout on bodybuilding.com that I figured would be a good introduction that I could use for warm up , post workout or rest days.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights DVD with my Kettlebells :)

So far seems effective!

Please, please do not use Jillian Michaels as a guide for proper kettlebell form. She is awful.
    Google Lauren Brooks, dragon door kettlebells, Lorna Kleinman. They are great starting places for beginners and are actually certified and able to give direction.
  • LHolobovich
    LHolobovich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used the KETTLEWORX DVD series and truly love it! I started with the 5lb, now I moved up to a 7 lb weight through the series. How does everyone track your Kettlebell workout on MFP? I used the aerobic 30 min when i logged in my workout.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    TGU's are hardmoad badassery.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I noticed my biggest change in clothing size (2 sizes) (with only a 20 lb weight loss) when I started playing with mine. I do the same 4 exercises over and over for so many minutes (using a timer). I just set timer, start my circuit, watch tv - none of mine are very hard to do. I think my biggest help was just swinging it in a circle around my body and passing it hand to hand as I did it. That seemed to work my core to balance against the weight and that's what I think changed my pant size so significantly. I also did overhead like a dumbell to work backs of arms, popping it (swing between legs and up - keep back straight) and cleans. I wish I could do figure 8's around my legs like I've seen some do - but belly is in way still LOL.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP your weight loss will come more from your calorie deficit than your workouts, but yes kettlebells are pretty awesome. I really wish my gym had ones that were over 1 pood though.
    TGU's are hardmoad badassery.
    agreed :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1155507-the-turkish-get-up-appreciation-thread?hl=turkish#posts-18050295
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have used the KETTLEWORX DVD series and truly love it! I started with the 5lb, now I moved up to a 7 lb weight through the series. How does everyone track your Kettlebell workout on MFP? I used the aerobic 30 min when i logged in my workout.

I entered my own "kettlebells" exercise and use a heart rate monitor to track my calorie burn.
  • Chocaree
    Chocaree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What do you guys track kettlebell workouts under? I browsed all exercises but couldn't see anything..?

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    <---body by kettlebells and running. And watching what I eat. :smile:

ETA: I would start with a good class where they make sure your form is on point. I was a fitness instructor at one time, so I was able to pick up the form pretty well from my Gin Miller DVD, though I'm sure she is likely not THE best out there. You are going to want a tight core and to focus on not letting it move while you are doing your various swing moves.

It built my core so well I am going to start lifting again to balance out my physique. Not a bad place to be!