Alternatives to Lunges

Options
I've been doing the exercises from Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video, and I really love how well it's worked for me. However, my knees are starting to get really painful, and I think the lunges are putting too much stress on them. I've been making sure that the knee doesn't bend over the front foot, but it's still getting quite painful.

Does anyone know any alternatives, or how to make the exercise a little softer on the knees?

Replies

• iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I did 30ds but if I recall you are talking about the side lunges? Those hurt my knees I ended up doing squats for those instead. I can do cross over lunges, standard lunges, and reverse lunges but something about side lunges my knees don't agree with.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I did 30ds but if I recall you are talking about the side lunges? Those hurt my knees I ended up doing squats for those instead. I can do cross over lunges, standard lunges, and reverse lunges but something about side lunges my knees don't agree with.

Pretty much this. I have knee problems, so I have to modify lots of things. Find something you're able to do, and replace the lunges with that. You don't have to do these videos exactly! As long as you're moving, and exercising, just do what you're capable of :) Good luck!
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Side lunges are actually fine for me, it's the ordinary ones that hurt. maybe I will just replace them with squats anyway.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to not go as deep into the lunge??

I have just started but someone told me I am wasting my time doing it to lose weight :0( Has it really worked for you? What level are you on?
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I am not familiar with the DVD workout... is it alternating lunges? My husband has bad knees and when we do lunges, he does his set on each leg at a time then switches legs. What I mean is if you're doing 20 lunges, try doing 10 on one leg, then 10 on the other instead of swapping on each rep. (Step out with one foot, keep that foot out and do 10 lunges. Then step your feet back together and then step out on the other, keeping it in place while doing 10 more.) For him it was more the pushing off and landing instability that caused the pain than the actual lunge excercise, so not stepping out and in for each rep worked for him. Maybe that would work for you? Also ensure you have proper form - when you're at the deepest part of the lunge look down and make sure you can still see your toes past your knee. It's bad for your knee to go past the toe. Good luck!
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Lunges bothered me too. I went to the orthopedic doctor and found out I had a floating knee cap. Something to do with an imbalance of strength between my inner and outer leg. I choose to do squats currently instead of lunges and I am doing some exercises from the physical therapist to help with my knee. The squats seem to be fine and I will add lunges again once it doesn't hurt. I can do slower ones but not moving in and out of them like on the 30 day shred.