Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2014 Time to rescue a failed mission!

Hi there,

I'm not normally one to post on forums like this but thought if I wrote my story down it might help me see my problems a little clearer (sorry if I bore anyone in the process).

Right here goes, basically I've had an issue with my body weight pretty much since my late teens, and over the years my weight/body size has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. In 2010/11 I started getting health issues, firstly having problems with heartburn and then a few months later a diabetes scare, which luckily turned out to be more of an exhaustion issue, but my diet of fried food and my old friend beer wasn't helping. Being a HGV driver I was told to get my act together before my health deteriorated into a situation where my licence could be revoked.

I took the bull by the horns, I weighed myself at 108kg, found mfp, bought myself a nice shiney mountain bike and started eating better and travelling the 5 miles each way to work on my bike, rather than in the car. Over the next six months I lost around 30kg, went from xxl tshirts down to large and was feeling like I was getting somewhere.

Then at Christmas 2012 my job went tits up, I had weeks of low pay then I had to take another job to ease the financial burden. In turn, this stopped my ability to ride to work, the new job also meant I would have to eat 'on the job' rather than in a specific lunch area, meaning its became harder to prepare food which wasn't just a sandwich, and also due to regular shift changes my eating habits have become irregular to say the least. Throw a bit of depression in due to not liking the new job or irregular shift patterns, and before long my old friends Lager and Vodka have been popping around to see me far too often.

In summary after the last two years, I'm pretty much back to square one, if not a bit further tbh, I'm now 111.5kg and determined to get out of this rut. I'm in the mind-set that if I become happier with the way I look, then other problems that need sorting can be done along the way.

I'm hoping to get control this time, and would love if anyone could suggest ways of keeping myself motivated, especially when stresses get on top of me, and also if anyone has ideas of any meals that can be eaten cold in the cab of a truck that would probably be a good starting point as I'm sick of the sight of sandwiches.

Wish me luck
Chris

Replies

• jmacavoy
    jmacavoy Posts: 19 Member
    Hi Chris,

I too struggled with no way of heating up food in work. As an alternative to cold boring sandwiches, I bought myself a wide necked thermos flask and I prepare healthy casseroles, chillis, pastas and currys in advance, microwave them until really hot and take them to work in the flask. Great for keeping you warm in the winter. I often use Quorn mince for the chillis and bolognese, far healthy than lean beef mince and surprising filling. Try having the chilli with coucous, I find you get more for your calories than rice.

Best of luck with your journey.

Julie