Am I an Apple or an Hourglass?

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I want to know because there's certain foods to eat and avoid and better exercises depending on body shapes apparently. Thanks in advance.

this is utter rubbish!

This. Eating certain foods doesn't make you fat, eating too much food makes you fat, no matter how your body carries weight. The idea that just not eating certain foods is the key to weight loss (especially when other approved foods are going to have the exact same macronutrients) IS rubbish.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I want to know because there's certain foods to eat and avoid and better exercises depending on body shapes apparently. Thanks in advance.

There isn't so don't worry about it. Well at least not if you are a pear shape, apple shape or hour glass shape, or whatever you want to lable yourself. There are some thoughts of different foods for endo, ecto, and meso morphs, but that is geared more towards if you are very atheletic, and what you should be eating to fuel your body to gain muscle, and endurance. But not to just lose weight, or be healthy. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-body-type-eating

All the articles I see that refer to a shape, like apple and pear, are pretty much saying if your fat stay away from carbs.
    Also Dr. Oz seems to come up a lot with searches for body types vs types of food, so that should be a big red flag right there.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do not put such media created, abominable body image labels upon yourself.

You are human being.

This. Why does it matter what "body shape" you have? There is certainly no diet or foods that aid in weight loss for different body shapes.

Yeah, the "body shape" thing is random and made up. It was invented to sell fashion and fitness magazines. (OR I am just bitter because I don't really fit into any of the typical "apple," "hourglass," "pear," etc. molds. I am my own weird shape.)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, I'd say you're pear shaped. This means that your bust and hips are both bigger than your waist, but your hips are bigger than your bust (as is definitely the case here).

With apple, your waist is the biggest measurement. With hourglass, bust and hips should be about even.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

That's your opinion and wasn't the opinion that was asked for.

K.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I like apples.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I like apples.

Honeycrisps to be exact.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    neither

you are a special snowflake
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I vote hour glass.

But no, your body shape does not dictate what kind of foods to eat to lose weight (neither does blood type, or somatotype). Eat at a moderate calorie deficit, eat good percentage of whole foods, get adequate protein and fat, do some resistance training of some type, and possibly some aerobic activity as well. That's it.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

you are joking, arent you?

I think she is very gently asking you to put a sock in it.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

It's actually science, but whatevs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

but no one mentioned sock shaped?!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

It's actually science, but whatevs.

stop it with your common sense and 'science' it isnt wanted here....
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

Socks are high in fiber, I hear.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The traditional hourglass was one with a 10" inch differential between bust/hips and waist. So no a 6" would not be an hourglass.
    The ratio of .7 is deemed as the sweet spot for an hourglass shape.

ETA: However if it makes you happy to consider yourself an hourglass no one is going to go around with a measuring tape and check lol
  • TavistockToad
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

Socks are high in fiber, I hear.

so if i throw in a scoop of protein powder, it'd make a good meal? if i was sock shaped?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Ruler. Not a big enough hip-waist-bust difference to be hourglass, waist too small for apple, hips-bust ratio too small for pear. Ergo: ruler. As are most women.

Now go forth and eat whatever you want. Within reason.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You might find this interesting. ( http://www.precisionnutrition.com/fix-a-broken-diet ) It describes body types and recommended food types.

I'm glad you posted this. It's very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I hope this is sarcasm. If not, you seem to keep on discrediting yourself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For a while now I've considered myself an apple, but looking at pictures I just don't see the similarities.

My Measurements are;

Bust: 39in

Waist: 33in

Hips: 40.5in

So there's a good 6 inches between my bust and waist. And 7.5 between my waist and Hips, from what I've read apples are pretty straight up and down with a large bust, so if I was an apple there shouldn't really be such a huge difference between my waist and hips? But it's hard for my to call myself an hourglass as I am carrying a good chunk of extra weight...

Your waist must be a minimum 10 inches smaller than your waist/bust and your waist/bust must be the same measurement to qualify as an hourglass.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Body shape does not affect the energy balance equation.

28ktv74.gif