Eating all of your calories

Options
Hey gang! I am having a problem eating all of my calories. I am allowed 1200 per day, but I usually range between 800 and 1000. I honestly am full by the end of the day. I think that's because I'm eating better foods that keep me full. That, and all of the water I've been drinking! But I don't want to slow up my weight loss because of not eating enough! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is experiencing this...any suggestions? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Trisha

Replies

• KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I never eat all my calories because I just am too full.Drinking all the water and exercising almost everyday must be the culprit for me anyway.
  • dmaynie
    dmaynie Posts: 3
    Options
    Wait. I thought a calorie deficit would ensure wieght loss. If you are full should you be concerned?
  • daisyfriends
    daisyfriends Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue as well. I'm just not hungry enough to eat all 1200 calories...I wonder too if that will really halt weight loss?
  • seawillow7
    Options
    No, quite the opposite in fact. If you do not eat all your calories or at least close to it, your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down. It's important to keep your body fueld and that metabolism up!!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you are eating below 1200 a day you are going to put your body into starvation mode
  • myrazimmie
    myrazimmie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You should really try to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Eating less than that can put your body in starvation mode. I know I am guilty of days eating less than that, but its really not healthy and doing it everyday is probably setting yourself up for a big plateau. I eat little meals about five times a day and spread my calories out. Try throwing in a piece of fruit at breakfast or an string cheese/yogurt/nuts as mini snacks.

Just think of it this way. Your car maybe able to run on fumes for a little while, but after a while it will break down. Your fueling your body with food, so make sure it is getting enough
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I've been counting calories for 8 weeks. In the beginning I struggled to eat all my cals (still do some days) but I've found ways to get quick (but good) calories to get me to my target to avoid starvation mode..

Fruit smoothie with a good protein powder - Its way easier to drink calories than it is to eat them sometimes.
    Nuts - High in good calories. I eat almonds a lot. Helps with cholesterol which is a bonus.

I've lost 15lbs in 8 weeks and I've found that if I get too close to my starvation mode for several days in a row my weight loss stalls.
  • stovegirl
    Options
    Make sure you get your dairy, healthy oils and fiber rich foods. If I'm under, I'll eat a couple of nuts that are calorie dense but good for you! I agree with the above regarding under 1200 calories. That agrees with everything I've read and heard.....
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The fruit smoothie sounds like a good idea! I even added in bread for my sandwich, instead of the Bagel Thins, just to bulk up my calorie count a bit!
  • trisha329
    Options
    And I suppose a yogurt wouldn't hurt, either!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough to speak to the idea of starvation mode, but I had this problem in the beginning and I it eventually lead to a 6 week stall in my weight loss. I posted this earlier this week;
    I was doing really good and then it stalled for 6 weeks. I asked my boyfriend, also on MFP, to look at my reports. He instantly said "you need to eat more". Well I was sure he was wrong and so I came the to community to prove him wrong. Well every post I found on the subject agreed totally with him. So I upped my base calories and I started eating almost all my exercise calories. I lost 2lbs this week. I feel like slapping my forehead and saying "it's the numbers silly, and the numbers don't lie". Thank you all for proving me wrong.

Add a little cheese, avocado, some nuts, peanut butter or what ever you like that's healthy, but get your calories up. Unless you only have 5 or 6 lbs to loss. I guess then you could do this, then go to your maintenance calorie intake, and be fine. But if you want to loss more than 10ish lbs, I found I have to eat my calories.
  • trisha329
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips! :smile:
  • caryn2010
    caryn2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues as you Trish. Even w/ having treats I'm still under my calories. And I remember my Dr telling me to try to eat smaller things many times a day instead of 3 main meals & maybe a few snacks. VERY hard to change into that mode after all these years of being programed on 3 square meals a day. But it's all about keeping our bodies fueled properly to keep our metabolism moving along.
    I'm drinkin way more water now that I actually see how little I was drinking before. It's making a difference in many ways. I still don't have it down on the eating more often thing...but I'm a slow work in progress. I figure after having it all wrong for 40 years that I can take a bit of time adjusting w/out feeling guilty. :)))
    I like the variety of tips you got too. I'm gonna hafta work some of them into my NEW routines too. :)
    Good post luv.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sometimes its not how much you eat but what you eat... also its good to up your cals every once in a while by changing what you eat otherwise youre body forgets things... ive been doing alot of reading on this subject. look up shifting calories and youll find some good info on it.
    i will say this--- some days im not as hungry as others so my calories shift day to day. but its also what you eat that affects your weightloss too.
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    If you're not allergic, keep some nuts on hand! They're full of good fat, so the calories add up quickly without adding a lot of bulk. You can also add them to other things, like salads, if you'd rather not eat them plain. :)
    Or, if that's not your style, add a small glass of juice to every breakfast. It'd automatically start you off with an extra 100-150cal per day without sitting heavy in your stomach.
  • robbprice
    Options
    Just wondering if you guys are talking net calories or not. I've had this same concern. Today I ate 1336 calories but I exercised twice and it's telling me I still need to eat 1475 calories and my net is 275 Calories eaten???? and it's 8:30 at night. Any thoughts/opinions?
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    For those struggling to eat their 1200 calories can you please share your meal plans. Being that 1200 is the minimum I find myself exercising more just so I can eat more. I would love to know what you are eating all day that is so filling.
  • trisha329
    Options
    Just wondering if you guys are talking net calories or not. I've had this same concern. Today I ate 1336 calories but I exercised twice and it's telling me I still need to eat 1475 calories and my net is 275 Calories eaten???? and it's 8:30 at night. Any thoughts/opinions?

I'm actually talking about straight calories, without exercise. To be honest, I don't really worry too much about eating my exercise calories.
  • bsplawn
    bsplawn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so glad i read your post. The last 2 days ive been thinking im doing awesome for not eating ALL my calories. Ive been doin so well, I thought,off to a strong start. Tha last thing I want to do is through a wrench in & undo it all.

THANKS GUYS!!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    For those struggling to eat their 1200 calories can you please share your meal plans. Being that 1200 is the minimum I find myself exercising more just so I can eat more. I would love to know what you are eating all day that is so filling.

fresh fruit & veg
    nuts
    fish
    yogurt
    cheese
    eggs
    Vegan protein powder

I don't eat chicken/turkey/pork/beef (no flesh or animal byproducts)
    I stay away from sodium & added sugar

I'm certainly not an expert in nutrition or weight loss. My outlook on eating healthy is to keep things simple. I eat continually. Every two hours from 9am - 6pm. Small portions. I am rarely hungry (unless I've been exercising). I've lost 15 lbs of fatty goo in 8 weeks. And that doesn't include the first 6lbs of water weight I dropped in the first 7 days.

If you're interested in seeing what I eat you can add me as a friend and snoop in my food diary.