Please Help No Artificial Sweetners Including Stavia

Options
My DH has the GI Track from hell. He is Type 2 diabetic and has a severe reaction to ALL artificial sweeteners. We are starting our journey on LOW CARBs. I want mostly real whole foods and fresh. But we all need a break from just water. I would like to make fresh smoothies but really they all seem to have to much sugar or the artificial sweeteners. Stavia,Splenda, SweeNLow are all out. They cause him severe joint and foot pain. Weird. But that is the life of a really poor GI Track.

I need website (not spam) to help teach me how to prepare these new foods and what is safe. SO sad our foods have become so toxic. Please share your ideas. My best friend and husband is a former distant runner but is now to ill to do mush more than walk 3 mi and that is with pain. I have juiced in the past but that is to much sugar he needs the fiber to help balance the sugar from the foods. Uggh. This is hard. Many products lie. I bought no sugar added hi fiber bread and it had a hidden name for the artificial sugar and brought back the joint pain. He is 6 ft 5 weighs 330 lbs.

Thanks for any help. We plan to grow old together and both of us enjoy road races in our community but this is a huge set back.

Patsy

Replies

• hllatham1206
    hllatham1206 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried blended smoothies? I have a ninja and it works great for this. I use kale or spinach, coconut water or almond milk, frozen fruit and a protein and/or fat source like greek yogurt or coconut oil. If you include enough fiber and fat or protein the drink should low glycemic even with the fruit. The fruit will add enough sweetness that you don't need any extra. You can find tons of variations of these smoothie recipes online. I think if you do it right it can be a great nutritional boost and not drive up blood sugar.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    hi...there is a website....www.goingsugarfree.com...don't know if this is what you want but wouldn't hurt to check it out ! Good luck !
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have juiced in the past but that is to much sugar he needs the fiber to help balance the sugar from the foods.
    By this logic, wouldn't you be able to add fibre, through additives like benefibre, to the things that you make with sugar in them?

Also, if it's not too much trouble, can you give us the name(s) of the medical condition(s) your husband has has that make him unable to eat certain types of food?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What about flavoured mineral water? There are a few without sweeteners. Fruity herbal tea?

I don't have many sweeteners, besides the occasional honey or no added (white) sugar jam...I could easily leave these out. Most of my diet is fresh wholefoods - predominantly vegies, meat/fish/eggs and good fats, some fruit and some supplements. Real food tastes great, and you can use plenty of herbs and spices for flavour. It may take some time to get your taste buds used to the taste...I find sweets super sweet, and don't need a lot!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am mostly paleo and due to that my diet is low to moderate carbs. The book "It starts with Food" changed things for me. http://whole30.com/itstartswithfood/

On the water thing, I'm going to be blunt. Suck it up buttercup and drink water. You can do, unsweetened coffee and tea as well. It will suck for about 3 weeks, then you will be used to it and it won't be an issue. You can put fruit or cucumber slices in a water pitcher to flavor it as well. But I think it is more reasonable to just face the fact we need water. Water is the most natural things to drink and it is what we should be drinking.

Learn to read label. Labels do not lie. The advertising on the front of the package can be misleading, but it is advertising. If you look at label, it will list the sugars and artificial sugars. My personal view is if it has to make nutritional claims on the package it likely is not that good for you! Think about it, does brussel sprouts, milk, carrot, meat or fruits have claims on the package? But cereal, bread, and "healthy" cookies all do.

Finally, cook at home, don't be afraid to try new things. If you don't like something, try it several ways before never eating it again (I never liked brocolli, I tried to roast it and I love it that way.)

Good luck, don't give up. If you fall down, stand back up the next day.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have juiced in the past but that is to much sugar he needs the fiber to help balance the sugar from the foods.
    By this logic, wouldn't you be able to add fibre, through additives like benefibre, to the things that you make with sugar in them?

Also, if it's not too much trouble, can you give us the name(s) of the medical condition(s) your husband has has that make him unable to eat certain types of food?

He has Type 2 Diabetes, as of 2013, diverticulitis in 2005 he had 911 surgery for perforated colon. Wore a bag for 6 mo then it was reversed. He has been in the hospital due to me giving him 1 ALEVE he took it with coffee went to work and ended up in trauma unit had lost a lot of blood. He was given 9 pnt in the hospital. He has had 3 other ulcer due to oc products. He can only use Tylenol for pain. No Asprin or Naproxin (aleve) or Ibeprofrin. All will cause him to bleed a lot. So I do not know of a true name of his condition. Nor do the doctors. We just say GI from Hell. He has blood work done every 3 mo to check on his diabetes and it shows some type of auto immune development but not a diagnosis which I pray we can stop with nutrition.

Thanks
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

He has Type 2 Diabetes, as of 2013, diverticulitis in 2005 he had 911 surgery for perforated colon. Wore a bag for 6 mo then it was reversed. He has been in the hospital due to me giving him 1 ALEVE he took it with coffee went to work and ended up in trauma unit had lost a lot of blood. He was given 9 pnt in the hospital. He has had 3 other ulcer due to oc products. He can only use Tylenol for pain. No Asprin or Naproxin (aleve) or Ibeprofrin. All will cause him to bleed a lot. So I do not know of a true name of his condition. Nor do the doctors. We just say GI from Hell. He has blood work done every 3 mo to check on his diabetes and it shows some type of auto immune development but not a diagnosis which I pray we can stop with nutrition.

Thanks

He should try an immune protocol paleo/primal diet.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    OK a immune protocol paleo/primal diet will google and learn more about.
    Thanks
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like the website 100daysofrealfood.com. She has a blog and has lots of interesting information. She has some good recipes. I have really enjoyed reading her blog and getting recipes off of her site.
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you need a multi- level approach.

First, both of you need to attend a DOE program: Diabetes Outpatient Education. This will get both of you on the same page with what works and what does not for a diabetic. BTW, my Dad became a Type 2 diabetic at age 68, and lived with me for 14 years prior to moving to a nursing home one year ago. He has a serious auto-immune disorder, and his immune system is attacking all of his endocrine system. So he has diabetes (pancreas attacked), Addison's disease (adrenal glands attacked), Hashimoto's disease (thyroid attacked), neuro cardiac syncope (heart nerve attacked), hypertension (nerve which regulates blood pressure attacked), and cerebral vascular dementia ( nerve which regulates heart beat attacked) and many more issues. So I do know a bit of what I am suggesting. When Dad moved in with me, we took the DOE program as I had no clue what to do for diabetes, and I was the one handling meal plans. The course fee does not increase with multiple family members attending, and most insurance covers this program. We took the program 3 times in 4 years -- I had a LOT to learn!

Next, I suggest your husband visit a nutritionist. Have the doctor write orders for this as again, insurance will cover this in most cases.

Food / meal prep. You will combine what you learn from the above, and also so some research online. In general, dairy products will increase joint pain, so he should limit his dairy. Calcium is obtained from leafy green vegetables like brussel sprouts, broccoli, spinach, celery, and others.

Fruit, and hence smoothies, are going to be high in natural sugar - fructose -- and need to be used sparingly.

Diverticulitis calls for a high fiber diet. This is good as that is also what is called for with diabetes, so it all works. Focus on vegetables, not fruits, for this fiber. Yes, apples and pears and most raw fruits are fiber foods, but he can't do much in the fruit line due to the fructose. You will need to start increasing beans use in your meals. I buy canned beans, brand Goya is the least expensive in my area. I can buy a can for 99 cents. When you open the can, put the beans in a strainer and rinse WELL under cold water. Then add them to whatever you are cooking. Chick peas aka garbanzo beans can be eaten right after washing, no need for cooking. Other beans need plenty of time cooking to help break them down and reduce bloating.

Gluten is a huge issue with diverticulitis. I have Hashimoto's disease* and a gluten free diet is recommended for this. I started by eliminating wheat and wheat products: all cold cereals, breads, pastas, cakes and pies. Yes, gluten is found in some other grains, and it is used as an additive in many preprocessed foods, but this is the first step. In my case, 3 days and I felt amazingly better. So this helps me to stick with it.

* About 15% of the population has the autoimmune disorder my Dad has; it is inherited. I seem to have it, as I already have 3 issues. So I am working on this currently.

If you both switch to the same meal plan, you will find the foods he should avoid won't even be in the home, tempting him. It will be a shock initially; but if you can both stick with it, in 6 weeks your taste buds will have adapted and it won't be so bad. Again, I've done this. I first did this with milk, switching from whole milk to skim. That was hard, because I was drinking close to a gallon of milk daily! (This is about 25 years back). At the end of 6 weeks, whole milk tasted much too rich and forget cream!

Finally, you should consider taking some short cooking classes. You need to learn how to cook with herbs and spices for flavoring, and avoiding salt and sweeteners for flavor. Lucky for Dad, I LOVE to cook and I already used many herbs and spices; so I just took a few classes to expand my repertoire. You can find cooking classes in community recreation programs, and in other neighborhood publications. I am not talking about classes to be come a chef, but rather short classes, some are just one Saturday morning for 3 hours to learn to prepare one meal. Some are 3 weeks, to learn about preparing certain ethnic foods.

I realize this sounds like a LOT of change, and a lot of learning. IT IS. I was quite overwhelmed when Dad first moved in with me. It took time, but we both adapted and both of us were healthier in the end. So it is a life style change which is good for both of you.

BTW, it is stevia, not stavia, lol.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You might look at some Paleo websites for ideas. Whole 9 is pretty damn strict with what they "allow" and don't allow. Their Whole 30 program shuns all artificial sweeteners and any natural one as well. That may be a bit extreme for you, though. It's really,really restrictive. Does he tolerate honey or maple syrup? Just a bit can go a long way. Then maybe add some cinnamon or vanilla or even unsweetened cocoa powder to get some flavor. Some natural (no sugar added) nut butter could help as well.

I would say to get good protein, load up on veggies and save fruits as treats. Perhaps some plain Greek yogurt with berries.

Also, have you spoken with a diabetes educator/registered dietician? His doctor? When I had gestational diabetes, my meetings with the nutritionist were really helpful as a starting point to control my sugar levels. Obviously not the same thing, but education always helps, right?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In the long-term, the stevia plant actually helps keep glucose levels steady.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Thanks will give natural flavor if there is such a drink. :)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    FreedomSand, could you share the name of the autoimmune disease that your dad has, please? My son has Celiac disease, vasovagular syncope, and is lactose intolerant in addition to depression and anxiety issues. He has been diagnosed with IBS but with what you're saying about your dad, it makes me wonder about something else because the standard IBS treatments are not helping at all.

PatsyFitzpatr, have you looked at TrueLime and TrueLemon for your water and other drinks such as tea. I am a Southerner through and through and detest unsweetened tea, but can tolerate it with a pack of TrueLime mixed in.
  • bsgoc
    bsgoc Posts: 2
    Options
    One natural sweetener definitely worth trying is Erythritol. It is proven safe and 70% as sweet as sugar ,with a pleasant taste (some people find a slight minty aftertaste). I use it liberally in place of sugar, even in desserts and baked goods, rubs and marinades, and in tea and coffee. Do your research. Erythritol has the lowest impact GI on blood sugar of any sweetener (natural or artificial) and is a natural plant based product, not similar to Stevia though. It shows 0 risk in japanese studies, and has the FDA's highest safety rating (no rating). You can purchase on amazon.com under brand "Now Foods". I also tried other brands, both powered and granulated, and found them to be the same (as long as it is 100% pure erythritol product--beware of Truvia, a packet sweetener made with Erythritol, since you are trying to avoid Stevia.) Let me know if you try it. It changed my relationship with sugar forever. My uncle doesn't like it, but I love it, and most of my guests don't even notice when I substitute it for sugar in various recipes. Again, do your own research, but after 6 years on Atkins, Paleo, and other low carb 'lifestyle' diets, I am eating normally, but still use erythritol daily.

P.S. (hopefully this won't offend anyone) the one and only funny side effect. which I can report, and others have mentioned, is since Erythritol is mainly excreted in urine, you don't start to metabolize it unless you eat a truly large amount (several table spoons) hence the virtually 0 impact on blood sugar; however, it may make your husband's semen sweeter.... maybe a plus, not sure. Anyway, sorry if this is TMI, but I thought I needed to mention it.

Good luck!

Chris in St. Louis, MO
  • bsgoc
    bsgoc Posts: 2
    Options
    One natural sweetener definitely worth trying is Erythritol. It is proven safe and 70% as sweet as sugar ,with a pleasant taste (some people find a slight minty aftertaste). I use it liberally in place of sugar, even in desserts and baked goods, rubs and marinades, and in tea and coffee. Do your research. Erythritol has the lowest impact GI on blood sugar of any sweetener (natural or artificial) and is a natural plant based product, not similar to Stevia though. It shows 0 risk in japanese studies, and has the FDA's highest safety rating (no rating). You can purchase on amazon.com under brand "Now Foods". I also tried other brands, both powered and granulated, and found them to be the same (as long as it is 100% pure erythritol product--beware of Truvia, a packet sweetener made with Erythritol, since you are trying to avoid Stevia.) Let me know if you try it. It changed my relationship with sugar forever. My uncle doesn't like it, but I love it, and most of my guests don't even notice when I substitute it for sugar in various recipes. Again, do your own research, but after 6 years on Atkins, Paleo, and other low carb 'lifestyle' diets, I am eating normally, but still use erythritol daily.

P.S. (hopefully this won't offend anyone) the one and only funny side effect. which I can report, and others have mentioned, is since Erythritol is mainly excreted in urine, you don't start to metabolize it unless you eat a truly large amount (several table spoons) hence the virtually 0 impact on blood sugar; however, it may make your husband's semen sweeter.... maybe a plus, not sure. Anyway, sorry if this is TMI, but I thought I needed to mention it.

Good luck!

Chris in St. Louis, MO
    (Sorry did't mean to post this twice!!!)
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    I too have a lot of GI issues, eat gluten free and need to avoid most artificial sweeteners, and sugar alcohols, sodium nitrites, high tyramine foods, etc... sigh, makes losing weight a bit harder, but definitely not impossible - just slower. I'm still learning how to apply things to my own life and still cheat or make a mistake sometimes and suffer migraines, and GI flares.

I like adding lemon to my water, or a few frozen unsweetened berries, mint leaves and am experimenting with other herbs, but don't like some... I drink a ton of herbal teas - I like a lot of teas but cinnamon, orange, hibiscus types have a natural sweetness or sweet/tart flavor so I need no sugar or honey... cinnamon, ginger, etc are also helpful in managing glucose levels, and has other healing antioxidant properties...

Overall I have found that using bits of sugar or honey - much less of it than I used to and a lot less that in most products available to purchase - balanced within the context of the meal, allows me to keep losing, but not be completely deprived, and increases my fluid intake which is good for the gut too. I drink kefir (10 natural probiotics in a yogurt-like smoothie drink) or eat greek yogurt to help increase the good flora in the gut too. There is a lot of good advice in these responses, just use wisdom and be sure to seek physician approval if anything really dramatic is going to be done. Take all your information with you when you call or see them for referrals, too. Sometimes they really appreciate learning what you know, and that way they can address specific problems within your plan - explaining why it may be a problem and letting you make a smart choice about what to eat and drink for improved health.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You will have a hard time making low carb smoothies, fruit is almost pure carbs. Erythritol is a natural sweetener however, as mentioned. I find it minty and disgusting. Swerve and Just Like Sugar are brands that have modified erythritol with oligosaccharides (another plant product) to make it taste a little less weird. I use Swerve in my low-carb baking a lot.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant so I have to limit my carbs and I do best on a very low carb diet. (Currently pregnant so I am on moderate carbs now) I can't use any sweeteners at all whether natural or artificial b/c I can't stand the taste and they also cause an insulin reaction. I just basically had to cut out all sweets. It sucks but in the long run it is worth it because I feel so much better.

Not liking the taste of water is just kinda silly in my opinion. Just suck it up and drink water. The sooner you can do that, the sooner you will be able to reap the benefits. If you really have trouble with water drink unsweetened black or green tea. It is something that just grows on you.

Low carb smoothies don't exist b/c fruit is high is sugar naturally. The lowest carb version would be made with berries but even that has a high sugar impact.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    hi...there is a website....www.goingsugarfree.com...don't know if this is what you want but wouldn't hurt to check it out ! Good luck !

Thank you I will be on this site for sure.
    Patsy