Breakfast Timing

Options
Hello All,
I have a question in relation to eating breakfast. I typically start work anywhere between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. I usually have coffee right as I get to work and don't eat breakfast until 9ish which is usually just yogurt and a banana. Since I'm at work, I need something quick to grab and quick to eat. My bosses don't mind me eating at my desk, I just can't spend a lot of time preparing/getting it. My question is, I heard that you should eat ASAP after getting up then have coffee. Has anyone noticed a difference in weight loss doing this?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you,
Sharon

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. I eat breakfast anywhere from 6am to 11am, some people don't even eat breakfast. ;) It comes down to calories in vs out for weight loss. When you eat is purely based on your personal preference and sustainability.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Meal timing makes no difference with weight loss.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. I eat breakfast anywhere from 6am to 11am, some people don't even eat breakfast. ;) It comes down to calories in vs out for weight loss. When you eat is purely based on your personal preference and sustainability.

This! I wake up at 3 am almost every day, my first meal is usually around 12 or 2 pm, sometimes if I know we're going out to dinner or something else I eat my one and only meal around 5-6 pm. It hasn't impacted my weight loss in any negative way, but it has impacted it in the positive way is it works for me and I can maintain this. This is one of those that you need to figure out what works best for you.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of optimal time for breakfast that boosts something or other but I bet it's so miniscule that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.
    I think this is true for lots of these types of stories - eating after 5, eating protein before bed, exercise on an empty stomach, eat protein within an hour of exercising etc. I can imagine that they make some sort of tiny difference when measured in detail in a study, but in real life with real people I can't imagine it really makes a difference.

I vote for eating sensible food and watching the calories - the rest I'm not going to obsess over.
  • ummsmiley
    ummsmiley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weight loss won't be affected if you stay within your calorie range to lose but keep in mind that the main reason why it's a good idea to eat within 30 minutes of waking is because the longer you go without food the hungrier you tend to get and you set yourself up to over eat. This isn't the case for everyone, and applies more to people who skip breakfast all together but still applies with timing for a lot of people. I know you asked about only weight loss but as a side note eating within 30 minutes of waking up and regularly throughout the day helps the body function more efficiently from a health stand point. The fact a person is still losing weight is not necessarily indicative of how well the their systems are functioning as a whole. Just something to think about.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Weight loss won't be affected if you stay within your calorie range to lose but keep in mind that the main reason why it's a good idea to eat within 30 minutes of waking is because the longer you go without food the hungrier you tend to get and you set yourself up to over eat. This isn't the case for everyone, and applies more to people who skip breakfast all together but still applies with timing for a lot of people. I know you asked about only weight loss but as a side note eating within 30 minutes of waking up and regularly throughout the day helps the body function more efficiently from a health stand point. The fact a person is still losing weight is not necessarily indicative of how well the their systems are functioning as a whole. Just something to think about.

Well since I feel better now than I did when I was eating 6 times a day, and all my vitals, lab work etc with the doctor hasn't been this good since I was in my 20s, I would say it hasn't impacted how my systems are functioning.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of optimal time for breakfast that boosts something or other but I bet it's so miniscule that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.
    I think this is true for lots of these types of stories - eating after 5, eating protein before bed, exercise on an empty stomach, eat protein within an hour of exercising etc. I can imagine that they make some sort of tiny difference when measured in detail in a study, but in real life with real people I can't imagine it really makes a difference.

I vote for eating sensible food and watching the calories - the rest I'm not going to obsess over.

I think this is solid advice.

I happen to be a routine/schedule person, therefore I wake up, bathe/get ready and eat breakfast around 7-7:10 every morning. On weekends it's bumped up to 8 or 9 because I sleep later. That is just what works for me though. I never feel hungry until 11:30 when I do this. However if I wait and eat breakfast at 10 am (like on vacation or something) I'll still start wanting lunch at 12 or 1.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqwWdBtwkQRd0Mlzv-E3pU6d487B-n8TjF59Qua6eMgJbBVmNyQw
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I get to work around the same time. I used to eat before I went to work and I would be starving by lunch and found myself snacking more.

I try not to eat breakfast until 9-930 now and find that I eat healthier and snack less.
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those anti-breakfast people. It wasn't a time issue or anything; I was just really content with a few cup of coffee. I also had to be at work around 5 am so I'm sure that didn't help much. Later when I started grad school full time and got more serious about weight loss, I started having breakfast. Honestly, I think it helped with the overall weight loss but more so with an overall feeling of well being. It also prevented me from getting ravenous by lunch time.

For what it's worth, I still don't eat huge breakfasts- usually under 400 calories or so but I do feel better and it has helped with the weight loss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

^^^This...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

+1
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

+1

Calories are only part of the picture.

Sure, run a calories deficit long enough and you will lose weight.

But will you KEEP it off long term? Five years out?

Studies show the vast majority of people who just count calories count regain any weight lost within five years- either by going off their diet or just stopping exercise.

So calorie is NOT the answer long-term. It is SHORT-TERM only.

How many people on this board seeking to lose weight are back for another round of weight loss after rebounding from earlier efforts?

Dealing with hunger is the key to permanent weight loss. "Naturally" thin people are not controlled by having an empty stomach- they don't feel the need to fill it up immediately.

Meal timing is VERY relevant if someone wants to REALLY change their lives long-term.
    Where are these "studies," please.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is VERY relevant if someone wants to REALLY change their lives long-term.

Meal timing may be relevant for some... not for all though.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqwWdBtwkQRd0Mlzv-E3pU6d487B-n8TjF59Qua6eMgJbBVmNyQw

Ditto for me
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If your hungry when you get up, then eat, otherwise eat later, it doesn't matter either way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

+1

Studies show the vast majority of people who just count calories count regain any weight lost within five years- either by going off their diet or just stopping exercise.

How many people on this board seeking to lose weight are back for another round of weight loss after rebounding from earlier efforts?

Dealing with hunger is the key to permanent weight loss. "Naturally" thin people are not controlled by having an empty stomach- they don't feel the need to fill it up immediately.

sigh this guy again ….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

+1

I think you said this in a previous thread..are we cutting and pasting now?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

+1

You post the most irrelevant information. Any time you're challenged on a topic you just jump ship to another thread... such a joke.
  • Jamiemyers28
    Jamiemyers28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe a hard boiled egg for breakfast, it's a filling protein. You can boil them yourself or buy them boiled and peeled at your local grocery. Kroger carries them in the deli area.