Anybody not count calories?

Options
I was wondering if there was anyone on here who do not count calories for whatever reason?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I do iifym, which doesn't focus on calories, but meeting specific macronutrient targets.
    I do this for my sport, to know that I'm eating the right macros to meet my goals.

When not doing this, I don't count. I find it tedious, stressful and unhealthy. I can manage my intake well enough to maintain without it...
  • windimera
    windimera Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I count carbs.just easier and less counting.my carbs goal each day is around 120. That is what Dr.Atkins recommends to lose weight healthy.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    I do iifym, which doesn't focus on calories, but meeting specific macronutrient targets.
    I do this for my sport, to know that I'm eating the right macros to meet my goals.

When not doing this, I don't count. I find it tedious, stressful and unhealthy. I can manage my intake well enough to maintain without it...

Thanks for the reply. What sport do you do?
    I am trying to lose weight without counting calories to much.. I do a "check in" as I eat usually the same everyday.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and am not counting calories right now. I've been able to stay within my 3lb maintenance window without having to, but I have other checks and balances in place that are working well (like daily weigh ins etc). If things change I will adjust :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I am trying to lose weight without counting calories to much.. I do a "check in" as I eat usually the same everyday.

I compete in bodybuilding...my life at the moment is either eating enough to grow, or eating less to drop fat!
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options

I compete in bodybuilding...my life at the moment is either eating enough to grow, or eating less to drop fat!

Yes I am trying to drop fat. What do you do then to ensure you're not eating to much? or is this when you log?
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When i started I didn't count calories- but I lost weight much slower. So for the first two years I probably lost 10-15 lbs a year. And then in the 3rd and 4th years I started to semi count them-- losing 35 lbs a year.

This last year i have really watched and counted and I lost 56 lbs.

So it works, and it worked for me, but now I see that if I want to get to maintenance, its the best way for me to do it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are many people who do not count calories because they have different goals. You will find that not everybody is here for the same reason.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    When i started I didn't count calories- but I lost weight much slower. So for the first two years I probably lost 10-15 lbs a year. And then in the 3rd and 4th years I started to semi count them-- losing 35 lbs a year.

This last year i have really watched and counted and I lost 56 lbs.

So it works, and it worked for me, but now I see that if I want to get to maintenance, its the best way for me to do it.

Thats interesting, thanks for your reply. I have currently stalled while I get my head round what I want to do. Im trying to focus on quality food with some treats and portion control.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I used to be against counting them. I was like I will never do that. I don't know what my hesitation was- probably that I thought it would be a ton of work. At first it was because I didn't realize how many calories were in things, etc. But now even when I don't log them in, I am still aware and in my head counting them. It just makes me very aware of everything I eat/drink.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    I dont....I county my macros on a cut, when bulking I dont count nothing once I get past 35 grams of fiber and my protein grams for that day
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Wait, macros have a caloric value, ergo you still count calories just in the sense of balancing nutrients..or am I crazy?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I was actively trying to lose I counted and was very meticulous. During those 7-8 months or so I made sure I took the time to really look at my plate and got a really good handle on servings and what my daily calories pretty much looked like. Basically I took the time to learn how to eat properly...in appropriate amounts and appropriate nutrition.

I've been at maintenance for about 7 months now and I don't count...I've been able to easily maintain my weight by sticking to proper portions, getting my nutrition on, and rocking my fitness. I'm also fairly confident that I could lose a little if I wanted to as well without going back to calorie counting...would just have to cut out a couple of things from my daily intake. I still use my foods scale and weigh or measure pretty much everything...unless I'm out and about of course.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Wait, macros have a caloric value, ergo you still count calories just in the sense of balancing nutrients..or am I crazy?

No not crazy but she was saying that she is more concerned with her macros than the calories.
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't! it's the best thing I ever did (or didn't do). now i just eat 3 sensible meals a day with lots of protein. i avoid sweets, seconds and snacks during the week and allow myself some freedom on the weekend. i exercise 6 days a week. works for me! no need to create obsessions in my mind or feel bad if i "went over calories". used to count calories. it ended up making me have an eating disorder. no more!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My 2014 resolution is to stop counting calories, or to at least try it for a good chunk of time, and see how it works for me. I am very obsessive about it, and it messes with my mind. I have been meticulously counting calories for 15 year, nonstop, and I think it has become an issue for me, because I eat according to my calories, and not my hunger and satisfaction level. Basically, it has taken all the intuition out of my eating. I think that for "normal" eaters, counting calories is a totally worthwhile venture, and it obviously helps lots of people lose weight, but in my situation, it is not an appropriate weight loss tool. I plan to continue my healthy eating plan, and I am sure I will loosely count the calories in my head, but I don't plan to obsess over it, or track my macros/cals on the site. I am sticking around, to keep my head in the game, but for the moment, cal counting isn't for me. Taking it one day at a time, though. good luck!
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    My 2014 resolution is to stop counting calories, or to at least try it for a good chunk of time, and see how it works for me. I am very obsessive about it, and it messes with my mind. I have been meticulously counting calories for 15 year, nonstop, and I think it has become an issue for me, because I eat according to my calories, and not my hunger and satisfaction level. Basically, it has taken all the intuition out of my eating. I think that for "normal" eaters, counting calories is a totally worthwhile venture, and it obviously helps lots of people lose weight, but in my situation, it is not an appropriate weight loss tool. I plan to continue my healthy eating plan, and I am sure I will loosely count the calories in my head, but I don't plan to obsess over it, or track my macros/cals on the site. I am sticking around, to keep my head in the game, but for the moment, cal counting isn't for me. Taking it one day at a time, though. good luck!

Same! its been really messing with my head. It gets so fustrating. I am just making concious effort to think about what/how much I am eating etc.
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have to tell you, I feel exactly the same! I would love to add some friends who are committed to being healthy but don't want to count calories. I tried it from August 2011-Feb 2012, lost a great deal of weight and then became obsessive. So after that I made some changes and it's been great to step away from counting! would like to meet some other likeminded people. I still exercise 6 days a week (mostly running but also lift weights) and I eat 3 healthy meals a day (no snacks, no sweets, no seconds except on Saturday and Sunday I allow myself a few treats). This system works great for me and I've stayed about the same weight. The greatest thing is I don't beat myself up about going over calories because as long as I"m staying healthy and not feeling like I overate and still fitting in my clothes then everything is good! I know this website's main feature is calorie counting but I think there is also the chance for useful support in other ways.

Same! its been really messing with my head. It gets so fustrating. I am just making concious effort to think about what/how much I am eating etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

IIFYM: If you hit your macros then you hit your calorie goal. Impossible to hit macros and be over calories.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have quit counting. I have been eating relatively clean for a little while now and I'm doing pretty well with making progress. I do look up my cheat meals though...then I try and exercise as much of it as I can off...I can't help myself!