constipation....BEWARE....MAYBE TMI FOR SOME!

Options
hi all! I apologize in advance if this grosses you out! Just wanting some input. and I"m sorry to put this in this forum, but I wasn't sure where to post this! I think I'm constipated! I've NEVER had issues in this area before. I normally go at least twice a day. But the last few months, about 3 days a week, or maybe even 4, i have stomach pain, bloating, pressure to go pooh, but when I try......nothing! I'm not even passing gas. Sometimes it's just a small amount(marbles), and I really have to strain sometimes. My eating habits have not changed really. I try to get in veggies and fruit every day. I haven't notice any patterns or anything causes this. I've read that constipation doesn't cause weight gain, but I can't help but wonder if a pound is due to being bloated and "retaining", if you know what I mean?!!

This is really bothersome! like I said, I've never had this issue before! it's only in the last few months. I eat salads, apples, fruit, raw veggies. I drink my water, and have also added green tea to my liquid intake. Have I suddenly become intolerant of something, and if so, why?

Today is one of those days. I haven't "went" since yesterday morning, and this is not normal for me at all. My tummy hurts, like gas pain, and i feel pressure to go, but when I try, nothing comes out.....not even gas!

Replies

• Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Washing up liquid?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You might need to have this checked out?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any solutions but I have experienced the same thing so want to see the advice you get. Also, for me traditional remedies like Colace do not offer much relief but just make the issue worse. I've heard from a lot of people that if you're going 2-3 times a week it's okay but like you, I feel that not going daily is weird for me personally. Good luck and hope to get advice from your thread too.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    First, stop straining. Straining contributes to things like hemmoroids (sp), a witch to cope with and a witch to get rid of.

Since you are usually not constipated, try some Miralax in some Powerade or Gatorade.

As to why it happened, sometimes we just get constipated, and treating it may get rid of the cause. You might have had a piece that was dry clog or gunk things up and compound the problem. If you treat and it comes back, ask your doctor for help.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Increase your fibre. Either take a daily supplement or increase through food consumption. Drink LOTS of water as well.
    Also, see your doctor.
  • linzchapates
    Options
    I have this issue too... and in short yes, being constipated and not going for a week or more can cause you to "retain" and you may not see any weight loss on the scale, once you've had a BM you should see the number change a bit....
    I eat alfalfa sprouts, prunes, ample fruits/veggies and drinks tons of water (10 cups plus herbal teas ontop of it) and pure cranberry juice to flush it out... seems to help a bit but it's an awful feeling and I totally sympathize with you..the bloating/gas is super crummy...
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    Prunes...works like a charm for me.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This can happen from time to time and often I find that if I can "break the dam" it goes back to normal. Try taking a laxative like dulcolax. Make sure you drink plenty of water with it. The more water you drink, the faster and better it works. If that doesn't solve your problem, talk to a doctor.
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Increase your water intake by 1/3, take a stool softener without a stimulant... if you are a little low on your water intake your body will pull more from the bowels and dry things out making it hard to pass. please do avoid straining to pass, can cause hemorrhoids and can lead to tearing too.
  • 360hope360
    Options
    Epson salt in not harsh, you take 4 TBS at night before bed with at least 2 glasses of water drink as much water as you can take in as it works better, in the morning you will go and will not have to stain . Its not harsh on your tummy or puts you in pain.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Since you have been backed up for so long, if a dose of the laxative doesn't work, you may want to consider doing the colonoscopy clean out protocol. You can find it online (only use ones from recognized medical sites) and they have them for children or adults. It doesn't sound like fiber is your problem.

Have you changed your routine at all? Stopped exercising as much or sitting more often?

Definitely start with something like miralax or a generic of it, you don't want something harsh and senna based.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    from your description, it sounds like you are constipated. There are lots of things you can try to fix this but your doctor is your best advisor depending on how bad the situation is. when this happens to me I take colace or miralax and drink extra water.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you eating?

Dealing with constipation is different for everyone, so you'll need to try a few things to see what works for you. If it's really a concern, go to the doctor for help.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat? I know this sounds strange but a family member of mine finds that when she reduces her calories sometimes she inadvertently reduces her fat/oil content. This usually turns into her being constipated. If she adds a little healthy oils or fats into her diet it seems to go away. Obviously fiber is supposed to help too. Exercise always gets things moving for me. Oh and I have a few friends who swear by coffee keeping them regular. Just some random ideas. I hope things get better for you soon.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause this, I knew woman who was going through divorce who did not go for over a couple weeks. She was freaking, the more she freaked, the worse it got.

It could be a food issue. I eliminated gluten from my life years ago, because of other stomach issues. One of the side effects, no more intestinal issues at all, ever.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    When I started this and had no idea what I was doing I thought fat was bad. I ate practically zero fat and got bound up. One night I ate a greasy cheeseburger as a planned reward for my first 10 lbs and WHOOSH!

Having added the right amount of fat back into my diet no problems since. Your body needs some fat.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    thank you all! i will try some almonds and healthy fats!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    When I started this and had no idea what I was doing I thought fat was bad. I ate practically zero fat and got bound up. One night I ate a greasy cheeseburger as a planned reward for my first 10 lbs and WHOOSH!

Having added the right amount of fat back into my diet no problems since. Your body needs some fat.

lol I was super "regular" this morning after indulging in a $2 Culver's double butter burger yesterday. There really must be some truth to this. Thanks!
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause this, I knew woman who was going through divorce who did not go for over a couple weeks. She was freaking, the more she freaked, the worse it got.

Quoting for truth. The only time I'm ever constipated is when I am stressed out. Exercise always helped a bit.
  • connieavs
    Options
    I use a cal mag supplement - 500 mg calcium and 500 magnesium. I take 3-4 per day. I also take a stool softener. This does the trick for me, I hope it helps.