Are you too hard on yourself?

Options
A husband and wife both study her face and describe what they see to a third party. Eve Ahmed, 51, and her husband Peter Lovett, a market researcher, bravely agreed to study Eve's face and reveal what they both see.

What you read might change your thoughts on how you view yourself. It made me rethink a few things. Here are a few of the views that they had:

FACE SHAPE
Peter says: Eve's got a round face but with full cheeks which fortunately stop just short of making her look like a hamster. I think it's irresistible. I know it's a bit weird but I've often had the temptation to do the grandfatherly thing of pinching them. Luckily, I've managed to resist the impulse - otherwise, I might get a deserved slap. Eve's face is the perfect foundation for her other features. I think she'd like it to be thinner, but she'd be entirely wrong.

Eve says: I've been told that I have good cheekbones, but as far as I can see my face is so plump that my cheekbones fight a losing battle. I guess a rounded face is youthful looking, but how I yearn for the elegance of Sophie Ellis-Bextor's sculpted visage.

EYES
Peter says: I adore Eve's eyes – they're dark brown and mysterious. The first time I looked into them it felt like I was staring into a puddle of melted chocolate. I love the fact that she's slightly short-sighted, too. It gives her a kooky quality that, even after all our years together, I can't quite fathom. And then when she smiles, her eyes light up. They positively glow with happiness.
Eve says: All I see is that hooded lid over my right eye. It doesn't matter how many times I've been told I have lovely dark brown eyes, all I see is that droopy lid. If I had the money, in a flash I'd have surgery to haul that lid upwards.
Not only that, but my eyes are veiny, yet there's no surgeon in the world who could remedy that particular issue. Eyes are said to be the windows to the soul. In that case, my soul must be half-shuttered and bloodshot.
To make matters worse, I've stubby eyelashes and can't be seen in public without lashings of mascara.

SKIN
Peter says: Eve's so lucky with her particular mix of DNA. She hardly looks any older now than she did when we met. Like a fine wine, she only improves with the years, and although I'm only a few years older than her, the age gap seems to be widening. She's so much less wrinkly than me. Eve says she hates the creases around her eyes, but they just make her look even more sensual and attractive.

Eve says: Every day I look in the mirror and see my grandma trying to nudge into the frame, what with the wrinkles around my eyes and the tramlines on my forehead. I spend a fortune on creams and potions: the more complicated the science, the better. Quote me something unpronounceable and I'll buy it.
I tried Restylane for the grooves around my mouth and Botox for my wrinkly forehead just the once. Peter and my daughters found the stiffening of my expressions so revolting that they made me promise never to go near dermal fillers and the like again.

SMILE
Peter says: Eve's got a smile to die for. It's not just her mouth that smiles - her whole face lights up. When she's smiling at me, it makes me feel wonderful - like the most important person in the world. Need I say more?

Eve says: At last, a feature that I like! My smile is big and genuine. I used to ration it for fear it would cause the lines around my mouth to deepen - but since there's a limit to what can be done to fight the ageing process, I may as well and grin and bear it.

(Notice that even when she is giving herself a compliment she is dogging herself)

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2532416/What-half-REALLY-sees-looks-different-mirror.html#ixzz2pFeROSNL

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think this is a little devastating. The good thing is there's a lot of women who DON'T think like this. The bad thing is that there's so many who do. People are always too hard on themselves.

However, I'd be curious as to what her normal, daily mindset is about her looks. Does she look in the mirror and dislike everything about herself? Or does she normally wake up, and without picking herself apart, go "I look good today!"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think Eve is just miserable! she must have serious self esteeme issues if she feels that bad about all of her looks on a daily basis...

my husband pinches my cheeks like that...
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I know that I, myself, have a few little things I tend to pick at with my body and appearance that nobody else sees. But from now I've decided to try to find the good things about myself instead of breaking and tearing myself down.

My husband loves me for who I am right now and that should say a lot.

*edited for spelling*