Running shoes for the 300lbs+ set

Options
After a couple of days on a treadmill with inadequate shoes, I badly inflamed my big toe joint got sidelined for what's looking like 2-3 weeks.

Having learned my lesson, I welcome any recommendations for shoes that would minimize the impact of walking/running on my feet.

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. They will help you WAY more than anyone here can. Since we can't actually see you run.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Please take any suggestions from Running Stores with a huge grain of salt---some just want to push a shoe, sell a shoe or are so attached to a favorite that they can't think beyond them. Some running stores are better than others.

I suggest Asics cushioned shoes. Get running shoes, not shoes made for anything else. Make sure they have plenty of lightweight cushioning. If you buy from REI they will let you return them for a year, no questions asked---so if the shoes don't work out you haven't blown a $100.

You might want to start your running program in the pool----this is a very good way to begin to build up running stamina and strength without putting so much pressure on your joints. It is very easy---and a good workout. Get a running vest, get into the deep end and run in place working up to 30-45 minutes. You can [and for losing weight and building stamina, I suggest it] run fast for 30 seconds and then 3 minutes at a more relaxed pace, alternate, fast, slow.

Also, when running on the treadmill--make sure you wear good, cushioned socks. You might also want to apply Glide to your feet which prevents blisters.

Good Luck! Let us know how you do.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I recommend running shoes as well, but I recommend to start on the elliptical over the treadmill if you have access to one. My less force on the small bones and joints in your feet.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I plan to go to a speciality store but its always good to do one' s homework online first.

Is there much point in going to a doctor/podiatrist?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline seem to be pretty commonly suggested for bigger people.

I ran in them at 282 pounds.

ETA: Start slow. I think more than shoes - trying to go too fast/far early on caused the (minor) problems I faced.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. What works for one person might not work for you. A good running store will watch you walk and also measure to see how your weight is distributed on your feet and see what your arch is like and whatnot. A good running store will also have a decent return policy so you can test the shoes out.

Good luck and hope you find a good shoe! You can also look into custom inserts. They are magical in my opinion.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    After a couple of days on a treadmill with inadequate shoes, I badly inflamed my big toe joint got sidelined for what's looking like 2-3 weeks.

Having learned my lesson, I welcome any recommendations for shoes that would minimize the impact of walking/running on my feet.

So running shoes are very important, but so is pacing yourself. If you're 300+ lbs you have two things working against you right now. You have a lot of non-muscle weight bearing down on your joints, and you're untrained.

Of course make sure to get good shoes, thats especially important in your case right now, but it would also seem to make sense that you should go easy on the jogging/running for the time being. Drop some weight first, so you minimize the stress you're putting on your joints.

3 weeks is no time at all, think long term. You'll get there soon enough, and when you do, you won't care how long it took.
  • perkins_jerryw
    perkins_jerryw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    aqua jogging or water running is a great low impact way to work on running until you drop a few pounds if you have pool access. Same suggestions as everyone else, get a running specific shoe (may want to see if you pronate or supinate as well as a reputable running store so you can protect your ankles- my pronation caused me fits until I learned to run on my toes). I use Newton's now but would not recommend them until you learn to run - Asics is a good running specific shoe. But FrnLft gave the most valuable advise - "3 weeks is no time at all, think long term. You'll get there soon enough . . .". We did not gain the weight in three weeks, so think long term on losing it and learning to run for fun!
  • Teenie71
    Options
    I love New Balance myself but like someone else said, go to a running store where they can custom fit you, check your gate, etc.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I plan to go to a speciality store but its always good to do one' s homework online first.

Is there much point in going to a doctor/podiatrist?

Here's good place to start...

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

And I guess my original response was too simple. I wasn't suggesting to buy your shoes at a running store, I certainly don't. BUT what I was saying they can TELL you more specifically what you need to look for in your running shoes better than people who are looking at your typed words. Depending on your feet, where you plan to run, how far you plan to run and if it's race day or not will most certainly affect your choices. I have 3 different pairs I use, 2 are Asics, 1 is New Balance, and they all have a different purpose.