HELP! How can I kick my sugar addiction?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I guess but dont they say not to eat before going to bed,??? I just know that it better for me not too, lol but if its ok for someone else

So you think "they said" is sufficient justification to tell other people what to do.

I suggest having a higher standard for your own recommendations.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    wheres your justification saying that someone can eat at night???
  • saradord
    Options
    I'm not trying to stir the pot just give my OPINION just like you are giving you OPINION!!!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm not trying to stir the pot just give my OPINION just like you are giving you OPINION!!!

Well my opinion is based on the realities and science of meal timing, as opposed to "didn't they say so?"

You've already been presented with links to evidence for meal timing not mattering. I suspect additional links will be ineffective.

So, yes, they are both opinions. But only one of these opinions has any basis.
  • saradord
    Options

Well my opinion is based on the realities and science of meal timing, as opposed to "didn't they say so?"

You've already been presented with links to evidence for meal timing not mattering. I suspect additional links will be ineffective.

So, yes, they are both opinions. But only one of these opinions has any basis.

And so are mine when I read books and blogs thats what I mean by "they said" and for some people they cant eat before bed , everyones bodies are different not one person can follow the same diet plan as another, I just do whatsbest for me based on the knowledge I have obtained with research , you can get research that totally contradicts another thats why they have this site for people opinions and research, I just know I have lost weight and gained muscle on what i'm doing so I tell other people hoping they can take some, not all of what my research has concluded
  • saradord
    Options
    I guess but dont they say not to eat before going to bed,??? I just know that it better for me not too, lol but if its ok for someone else
    "They" say that, as well as lots of other things. Fortunately, meal timing is something you can cheerfully ignore, barring specific medical advice to the contrary.
    thats why im here to get other peoples knowledge , which you have given me!! thanx
  • Nikki015
    Options
    Apple and carrots. They are so sweet, and still healthy.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Apple and carrots. They are so sweet, and still healthy.

Does that actually work for people? I know that, for me, when I want a piece of chocolate or some Mike & Ike's, an apple does absolutely nothing for the craving.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In for eating ice cream in bed.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I read books and blogs

That's the problem. Seriously. I don't mean to insult you, but in the realm of nutrition and fitness reading books and blogs are pretty much the worst thing you can possibly do.

You have to go to the actual science. Books and blogs distort facts and outright lie constantly in order to sell themselves. The reason books exist is to sell books, and the reason blogs exist is to sell advertising space (and, often, to in turn sell books and merch).

Books and blogs are, pretty much invariably, full of total BS, with "don't eat before bed" as a prime example.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I used to be a junk food and pop freak. But now I just don't buy those things. I just avoid those aisles at the store. If I don't have those things at home, I will not be able to indulge. Prevents issues.

I did it cold turkey .. back in August and I have had no issues. But I am a very anal and dedicated person with lots of self control.

Take care .. and good luck.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh girl. I don't know if there's any way you can remove that sweet tooth I wish! I allow myself to eat raw sweets (raw chocolate is DIVINE). I bake all the time- but its organic, vegan, and a lot of the time gluten free. I found that the quality of the food you ingest makes a huge difference, and then you don't want as much. And don't forget to enjoy it. That's the most important part! ;)
  • saradord
    Options

So you think "they said" is sufficient justification to tell other people what to do.

also being a women our hormones effect everything , including weight, so maybe you can eat ice cream in bed but I cannot,
  • jonnythan
    Options
    also being a women our hormones effect everything , including weight, so maybe you can eat ice cream in bed but I cannot,

That is false.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you just have to quit it cold turkey. Don't tease yourself with cheat days, fake sugars or tons of fruit either. that just makes it worse. only the first 72 hrs are hard and then youll feel great!
  • saradord
    Options
    I just have a question for you ?? are you a nutritionist , Doctor or personal trainer!!! how doyou know they dont
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

I'm a woman and I have ice cream every night. On the couch watching movies, not in bed... but still pretty late. I work until 11pm, so I'm having it at midnight sometimes. Hasn't hurt my progress. :drinker:
    Here's an excellent thread on meal timing. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
    And here's how to eat ice cream everyday, even on just 1400 calories and still meet your nutritional needs:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
    Edited to add (hopefully helpful) links.
  • saradord
    Options

I said I cant !!!!! if you work till 11 every night your body is on a different schedule then mine !! I just know I CAN NOT!!!
    I'm a woman and I have ice cream every night. On the couch watching movies, not in bed... but still pretty late. I work until 11pm, so I'm having it at midnight sometimes. Hasn't hurt my progress. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I just have a question for you ?? are you a nutritionist , Doctor or personal trainer!!! how doyou know they dont

Your attitude is not very conducive to learning and progress.

I'm not a diplomatic person. There are people here who can convince you that you're wrong and make you happy in the process. I'm not one of those people. All I can do is present the facts to you, and the fact is that women don't have any magical hormones that make them gain weight in a calorie deficit because they ate their food at the wrong time of day.
  • adayinaz
    adayinaz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay. This thread is, in my opinion, getting out of control.

For those of you who offered constructive ideas, I really appreciate them. I've taken a lot from your posts and I've been encouraged today and (at least for today) I've managed to come in 7 grams UNDER my MFP recommended sugar intake. (I stayed within my other nutrients and calories too!)

For the rest of you: I found a lot of the bickering and many of your attitudes to be hurtful and destructive. Your 1-2 line comments about how I clearly don't know as much as you because I'm in a tough situation are unnecessary. I obviously realize I screwed up, and that's why I came to this thread. I have no problem with people telling me where I'm wrong but please be considerate.

Thanks again to those of you who seriously tried to help. I'm going to steer clear of this thread now.