Lunch ideas?

Right so I tend to find lunches tricky, I work in an office and we have a tiny kitchen with only a microwave and a kettle (no toaster). I dont have long to make and eat lunch so need to have something quick, filling and tasty - ideally something I can make at home the night before and then re-heat at lunch.

I'm trying to reduce my carbs so ideally needs to be low-carb or zero carb would be even better! As part of my new 'lifestyle' plan (I keep telling myself I'm not on a diet!) I am going to be exercising in the mornings, then I ride my horse in the evening so dont get to eat dinner until 8pm ish therefore lunch needs to be filling, salads dont exactly cut it!

And to add to my misery I am a fussy eater, I've tried time and time again to like more foods but its sods law I dont really like much especially veg. So rather than go through what I dont eat (we'd be here all day) here's what I like:
- All meat (red, white, fish etc)
- Cheese (not feta)
- Eggs
- Broccoli
- Mange tout
- Cabbage
- Most carbs; rice, pasta, bread, potatoes etc (NOT noodles though)
- Cauliflower
- Lettuce

So that is pretty much what I'll eat, meat and carbs are no problem its generally veg that I am limited to what I've listed above. I like most flavourings and styles of food (Indian, Chinese, Italian etc) however I really dont like Thai food, its the lemongrass/coconut/peanut flavourings I dislike. I HATE nuts, of all kinds, taste awful to me. Dont like fruit either, tried to eat it but hate it!

So does anyone have suggestions of what I could eat at lunchtime that will be pretty filling? Probably around the 400 calorie mark (too much less wouldnt fill me up, too much more would take me over my daily limit of 1400 cals). Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Sandwiches, salads, soups? I eat a lot of chicken and veggies too.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Have you tried spaghetti squash? I'm a picky eater too (I'm better now as an adult but I hardly ate any vegetables as a kid) and just recently tried spaghetti squash for the first time and I really like it! I can get a good sized one and cook it up in the microwave (I use this method http://fishcooking.about.com/od/howtochoosefreshfish/ht/How-To-Cook-Spaghetti-Squash-The-Easy-Way-An-Easier-Safer-Method.htm) and get 3 meals out of it and it's very filling (I eat 2 cups per meal, about 65 calories). I have had it with spaghetti sauce, low fat Alfredo (Ragu makes a decent one) and grilled chicken breast, tossed with garlic powder, butter and grated parmesan cheese, it's really good. I also only have a microwave at work and often eat Progresso light soups or Smart Ones meals for quick and easy lunches. I'm not worried about sodium so those are my go-to's a lot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I just made a huge batch of balsamic chicken in my crockpot, which I froze back in individual portions, so I can just pop it in the microwave. Of course, I don't mind eating the same thing day after day. But, it's tasty. I cooked the chicken (8lbs) in a crock pot with a bottle of balsamic vinegar and two packages of frozen peppers and onions for 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low (can be overnight). Super simple and tasty. I served it over a mix of veggies (whatever sounds good to you). Tons of protein for relatively little calories.

I always batch cook and freeze individual things to heat up. Or, if you don't like the same thing all the time, cook and extra serving of whatever for dinner, freeze it and save for next week's lunch.

I'll also cook up chicken in the crock pot with water and some basic spices (I like mexican), and shred, and save in individual portions. Then, I can mix with BBQ sauce for a pulled chicken sandwich, or have it on a salad, or make enchiladas with a couple of servings. It's always good to have on hand.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Chicken cooked 10 billion different ways. :laugh:

Seriously though, you can't fail with chicken. Protein. Tasty. Low on calories.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    I just bought a lunch crock pot (they have them on Amazon) that holds up to 20 oz. I use it to heat up canned soups and leftovers. I plug it in when I get to work, and come lunch time, no fighting over the office microwave because everything is at my desk. I also pack side salads and other snacks for munchies throughout the day, but the lunch crock has been a godsend. And it does not 'smell' while it's cooking/reheating so none of my coworkers have anything to complain about.