How do I verify the numbers on my treadmill?

Options
I walk everyday on a treadmill (and throw in some jogging as well). I'll program in my weight and set it to burn 600 calories (4% incline and 3.5mph speed) and I go until it's done... typically 65-70 minutes. Is there any way I can verify I'm actually burning the 600 calories?

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    a heart rate monitor would help
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Consult a magic 8 ball
  • Kev_22
    Kev_22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    a heart rate monitor would help

It's typically around 115-120 (155 while jogging) but I don't constantly watch it.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You would have to get/use HRM.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Like Bobbijo said a heart rate monitor is better for being more accurate.
  • Kev_22
    Options
    Consult a magic 8 ball

The magic 8 ball says "Without a doubt" *I want to believe*
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How about the built in HRMs that sense thru the handles, are they accurate for measuring heart rate at least?
  • Kev_22
    Options
    How about the built in HRMs that sense thru the handles, are they accurate for measuring heart rate at least?

I believe they are, but I'd have to verify.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are actually one of the most accurate calorie counting tools, assuming you've input your weight, you're not holding on to the machine, and that the belt speeds are tuned correctly. There's not as much variation in calories burned for walking/running person-to-person as people might think- unless you're like wildly flailing your arms the whole time or something. The science of walking/running has been studied for decades, and it's a pretty standard work over distance formula. I would just trust the treadmill. It's at least (if not MORE) accurate than HRMs for this particular activity (because work/distance is better standardized than the correlation between a person's Heart Rate and calories- which depends heavily on accuracy in knowing your VO2max, which most people don't)

ETA:typo
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    HRM! Treadmill is pretty close, but still off for actual calories burned when I run. My co-worker got a HRM for Christmas and was really disappointed because the machines said way more then what she actually burned.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday on a treadmill (and throw in some jogging as well). I'll program in my weight and set it to burn 600 calories (4% incline and 3.5mph speed) and I go until it's done... typically 65-70 minutes. Is there any way I can verify I'm actually burning the 600 calories?

A heart rate monitor will be more accurate than the machine. Also don't forget that no matter what method you use, you need to subtract the calories your body would have naturally burned anyway, to get your net calories. Otherwise you are counting those calories as being burned twice, and the results wil be inaccurate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's all an estimate, even a HRM...and if you have any kind of heart issues like high blood pressure or a higher than average resting HR then your numbers from a HRM are going to be off even further. You're never going to be able to determine if you truly burned exactly 600 calories...and really, there is not need to. If you are utilizing the MFP method and eating back exercise calories then just be conservative with your approach and deduct 20-30% or so for estimation error. Personally, I prefer the TDEE method where you just account for some estimation of your exercise by time and intensity rather than trying to nail down some exact burn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Since you're primarily walking, an HRM isn't likely to give you an accurate reading.

4 miles of walking will net you a burn of -> 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked

So in your case

1.2 * body weight in pounds

The 4% incline adds a small amount, but only a small amount, as the first 2% of that incline basically compensates for being on a treadmill.
  • xvintagepearls
    Options
    Never ever trust the machine, even if you enter your weight, because they're usually very wrong. A HRM will verify the amount of calories that you're actually burning. I can predict from the info that you provided that you're probably burning 1/2 of that (roughly 300 cals).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I was at the gym last week using an exercise bike that senses heart rate through the handles, and also wearing my heart rate monitor with a chest strap. The two numbers were usually within 2-3 bpm. Sometimes the machine was higher than my HRM, sometimes lower. I wasn't systematically comparing the two, though, just glancing every few minutes.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Never ever trust the machine, even if you enter your weight, because they're usually very wrong. A HRM will verify the amount of calories that you're actually burning. I can predict from the info that you provided that you're probably burning 1/2 of that (roughly 300 cals).

Treadmills aren't "usually" wrong though.

Your argument is pretty valid for ellipticals or arc machines, but treadmills shouldn't be lumped in with all gym machines. For that matter, neither should stationary bikes.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Your argument is pretty valid for ellipticals or arc machines, but treadmills shouldn't be lumped in with all gym machines. For that matter, neither should stationary bikes.

Just curious. Are the formulas being used in treadmills derived from people running on actual treadmills or on paved roads? I only ask because my perceived effort is much higher on a paved road rather than a treadmill given equal speeds.
  • Kev_22
    Options
    Yup, going to have to purchase a HRM to verify, from what you guys are saying I'm WAY off in my calorie burning. Anyone have any HRM recommendations? I'd like to use some sort of strap that can connect to my phone/ipad.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Just curious. Are the formulas being used in treadmills derived from people running on actual treadmills or on paved roads? I only ask because my perceived effort is much higher on a paved road rather than a treadmill given equal speeds.

Running on an actual road is a little harder- even if it's perfectly flat, the movement of the belt gives a slight forward propulsion advantage that a road doesn't have- that's why if you're trying to emulate road conditions you're supposed to set the treadmill at a very small (~1%) gradient.

I'm PRETTY sure that the numbers come from treadmill studies- sports science labs at universities have been hooking people up and monitoring them on treadmills and bikes for decades, and there's very little difference treadmill to treadmill (maybe a slightly softer surface). Ellipticals, on the other hand, have wildly different movement patterns and ways to adjust the resistance (some change the angle, some use mechanical braking, etc) so two different machines have different calorie burns, so the calorie readout is "studied" by the manufacturer of that machine and there's almost no way to verify their data ("proprietary studies"). Add to the difference in movement that there is a demand for machines that get the highest burn for the least effort, so the machines sell better if the readout says a ton of calories and it feels easy (ahem....arc machines)..

Sorry for the novel, but that's basically why treadmills are trustworthy and ellipticals are liars.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    general rule of thumb whether walking or running--->100 calories for every mile. Next caller....