Using beads in a jar to track loss

Options
Has anyone here used a jar of beads or other objects to keep track of pounds lost? I think it might be helpful to have a simple visual representation of weight lost.

I have about 67 pounds to lose, so I put 67 bullets in a jar. I'll take one out each time I lose a pound.

Has anyone else here found visual representations of loss to be helpful?

Thank you!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I like to go to the gym or to the store and pick up the amount of weight that represents how much I've lost. (:
  • SherryIsRunner5
    SherryIsRunner5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, but I would be adding beads to an empty jar for lbs lost. Seems like it would motivate me more to fill a jar than empty it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here used a jar of beads or other objects to keep track of pounds lost? I think it might be helpful to have a simple visual representation of weight lost.

I have about 67 pounds to lose, so I put 67 bullets in a jar. I'll take one out each time I lose a pound.

Thank you!

Why would you waste ammo like that?!

That's 67 rounds you could use in target practice!
  • channadugger
    Options
    I love this idea!!!
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have 2 glass vases i picked up at Dollar Tree. I bought a few bags of the colored glass rocks there as well. I take a rock from the full jar and add it to the empty one for each lb lost. I saw someone else do it and i thought it was a crafty visual!
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I'm gonna buy some beads and start doing this :) I'm a very visual person and it will be a great reminder everyday of how far I've come.
  • leahconfere
    leahconfere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe they could use it for a victory shooting day! :)
  • _cdngirl71_
    _cdngirl71_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use two jars and move beads from one to the other. It's a good feeling when you see the "lost" jar filling and the "to loose" jar emptying. I'm looking forward to the day that the lost jar has more beads than the to loose jar!!

Edited to add: I keep the jars on top of my TV so its a reminder to get off my butt when I'm vegging out.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options

Thank you!

Why would you waste ammo like that?!

That's 67 rounds you could use in target practice!

Don't worry, they will be put to use eventually. :) Baby bullets will not be left to die.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use $1.00 bills - add to a jar each time I lose a pound. I will have some case saved to buy a new pair of shoes or something by the time I am finished!
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    I have 2 glass vases i picked up at Dollar Tree. I bought a few bags of the colored glass rocks there as well. I take a rock from the full jar and add it to the empty one for each lb lost. I saw someone else do it and i thought it was a crafty visual!

Great idea!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I use $1.00 bills - add to a jar each time I lose a pound. I will have some case saved to buy a new pair of shoes or something by the time I am finished!

I like this one!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That's a good visual! The Potterhead in me would label the pounds lost jar "Gryffindor" and the pounds to lose jar "Slytherin." That way, I lose weight and Gryffindor wins the house cup.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Franksgreengirl
    Options
    I've never heard of this but I'm going to give it a go. I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing something like this before. I love visuals for everything else and this will give me a go to place when I'm feeling low. Thank you for sharing the idea!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I am doing this but I dont' find it motivating. I saw it on Extreme Weight Loss where you watch them drop several pounds, therefore beads/marbles into a container at once. For me, one a week is a painful reminder of my slow loss lol.

However, I am still doing it and I guess it is a reminder - especially as mine sits right next to my wine bottle. I also just have marbles in tupperware as I'm not crafty.

Some of you have great ideas - I love the $$ one - or making them into something crafty you can sort of display or put by the TV. It certainly doesn't hurt to try it.

I do have to say while that it can sometimes frustrate me, it also keeps me accountable. My weight is a very sensitive subject to me - not to my husband. So I don't always tell him the good or the bad. But he can always look in the tupperware and see where I am and decide whether or not to comment.

And again.... it's right by my wine so I'm less tempted to drink it lol. good luck :)
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Hmmm this is an interesting concept. Maybe I'll do this, but add a pebble for every pound I add to the barbell :).
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great Idea! I'm going to get jars and beads after work today!

My visualization so far is of comparisons like "That turkey weighs 27 pounds and I've lost more than that."

I read that human fat is similar in size and density to common butter. So when I think about a cart with FORTY packs of butter, I feel pretty darn proud!!

That comparison also helps me on weeks when the scale only moves a 1/4 pound, I can visualize that as a stick of butter.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I actually use river stones. I collected a great # when I was living in Illinois and move them from side to side as I lose weight/ gain weight. I hate moving them back and forth.