So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Melissaol wrote: »
    This was my first week at the gym and I took a workout class and eating better. I didn't lose anything. I just don't get it.

You're rushing it. Your weight fluctuates 2-3 pounds in a 24 hour period just based on hydration and digestive timing. Assuming you were at a healthy caloric deficit, you would have lost a mere fraction of that in actual body mass over a week.

I know a lot of people say to weigh once a week only. But, I'm of a different mind. Fewer data points do not a good indicator make. I weigh myself every night before bed and every morning when I wake up, right after a trip to the bathroom. It's eye opening to see the dramatic drop that can happen overnight, just from hydration! My weight readings have fluctuated from a low of 129.5 to a high of 135 during the last 4 day's readings alone. Am I yo-yoing? Nope, I'm PMSing, LOL. I see the general point that the numbers seem to fluctuate around most frequently, and I know I'm actually about 132, so I go with that. The RANGE of my weight is dropping. It will never settle on one number because that's not how bodies work.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Melissaol wrote: »
    This was my first week at the gym and I took a workout class and eating better. I didn't lose anything. I just don't get it.

11 pounds lost with 9 more to go? You don't have much to lose, so it's not just going to fall off. As EWJLang said, weight fluctuations and food volume impact the scale. One week is nothing.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I need all the advice I can get. Those extra links are helpful too.
  • adamsrb1993
    Options
    So are protein shakes good or bad for wanting to loose weight... I have the slim stuff it says its great to help build muscle n loos weight... But i honestly have no clue whats good or bad about them...
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So are protein shakes good or bad for wanting to loose weight... I have the slim stuff it says its great to help build muscle n loos weight... But i honestly have no clue whats good or bad about them...

Protein shakes are neither good nor bad for weight loss. Protein shakes are good for helping hit protein goals if you are not able to meet them through your normal foods. Protein shakes can sometimes be filling. They aren't necessary for weight loss or for building muscle. They are meant to supplement your normal eating if you have a hard time meeting your protein goals.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Awesome stuff!
  • landriajennette7
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    maz2469 wrote: »
    Love it!

Need to rid the house of all crappy food and start a fresh, i got so close but my sweet tooth got the better of me, again and again! :-/
    I can relate to that. It crashes me every.damn.time......

@landriajennette7
    A better method is to include a small treat each day to satisfy the sweet tooth. I try to make sure I have something daily (usually after dinner). Sometimes it's a piece of Dove chocolate or a tablespoon of peanut butter with some honey. There are lots of options out there worth using 100ish calories on to fill that sweet craving while helping you stay on track.

Thank you :)
  • kashiaj870
    Options
    Hi
    I ve recently gave birth and my waist is 34 I really want my belly to go in faster...I m breastfeeding so can't really diet...help me out!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kashiaj870 wrote: »
    Hi
    I ve recently gave birth and my waist is 34 I really want my belly to go in faster...I m breastfeeding so can't really diet...help me out!

You need to talk to your doctor. This is not a question for a stranger on the internet.
  • muffin0615
    muffin0615 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for losing baby belly? I have difficult time with weights due to back problems and prior back surgery. I'm 5'4" currently 160 lbs. Pre baby weight was 145lbs. and before working nightshift I was around 135lbs. I am eating 1200 calories a day and working out about an hour daily on my treadmill. Thanks!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    muffin0615 wrote: »
    Any ideas for losing baby belly? I have difficult time with weights due to back problems and prior back surgery. I'm 5'4" currently 160 lbs. Pre baby weight was 145lbs. and before working nightshift I was around 135lbs. I am eating 1200 calories a day and working out about an hour daily on my treadmill. Thanks!

Go back and read the first post. Start implementing what you can. Find a way to add some sort of resistance training even if it's just body weight stuff.
  • DameAsche
    Options
    I agree with this, and honestly, I enjoy cardio workouts the most (though they were difficult at first when I was so out of shape.) For me, I had to do more cardio to get the fat to come off of my stomach. I did a mix of both strength and cardio around 30-45 minutes a day 4 days a week and it started to come off.
    Now to keep my sweet tooth from getting the best of me again.
  • skylatalley4
    Options
    Can you lose fat fast by walking incline instead of running ?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Can you lose fat fast by walking incline instead of running ?

For the cardio needs to lose fat you can do whatever increases your heart rate. Cardio is only a piece of the fat loss equation.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Just bumping more because @usmcmp is amazeballs & I <3 her and her sensible, realistic, sustainable advice.
    This post is stickied. No one *ever* has to bump it. Please stop!

• usmcmp
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Just bumping more because @usmcmp is amazeballs & I <3 her and her sensible, realistic, sustainable advice.

Not everyone checks the stickies. Some people stick to the recent discussions list. We all MFP different.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

Why does it bother you?
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump ;)

Aha really great post. Thanks for all of the great info :D I just started a couple weeks, but strength training is my favorite so far. Can't wait to see myself in a year
  • sahararenee20
    sahararenee20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need help with making meal plan to help me lose weight can anyone help i am wanting to lose my lower belly/muffin top and tone up my body and gain a bigger booty i need help from someone who knows what there doing please help me asap... thanks Sahara
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I need help with making meal plan to help me lose weight can anyone help i am wanting to lose my lower belly/muffin top and tone up my body and gain a bigger booty i need help from someone who knows what there doing please help me asap... thanks Sahara

I don't do "meal plans" I believe in each of us adopting habits that will last forever. The best place to start is protein at each meal with fruit at breakfast and vegetables with lunch and dinner. Then fill in the rest with things you enjoy and things that will help keep you full.

As far as workouts go, find a workout plan that you think you'll enjoy and go for it. There are tons of free lifting plans out there. The most important factor when starting out is simply something you are going to stick with.